Newby - 1988 FXR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newby - 1988 FXR

Greetings from Florida, and thanks for allowing me to join the group. I've been riding for 33 years now, and hope that I can get another 33 years under my belt before I kick the bucket. I started off with a 1978 Kawasaki KZ400 that I paid a whopping $200 for! A few things needed to be fixed, hence the $200 selling price, but it ran (had to use the kick start until replacing the battery) and was a fantastic bike to learn on. I've had several more bikes along the way, with my last one being a 1998 HD Sportster purchased new in 1997. I ended up selling it to pay for my wedding and haven't owned another bike until recently. I got plenty of riding in as a Motor Officer, though, but still wanted another bike of my own.

My Dad recently gave me his 1988 HD FXR (Super Glide), which went into a shop almost 7 years ago to get "cleaned up" and ready to ride again. That quickly turned into a full restoration with a few custom touches. The bike is now in the shop of a Brother Freemason and we're hoping to have it completed in the next couple months. The stock fenders are being replaced with ones designed to look like they came from an FLH, and will have an LED tombstone brake light with aftermarket front and rear turn signals.

The fenders and tank are headed for the paint booth, but now I have a problem to solve. Although the bike will have some custom pieces, I'd like to stick with the original style decal for the tank but I can't seem to find one anywhere. I've damned near gone blind searching online trying to find anyone who might have some to sell, and haven't had any luck. I might be able to have a local shop make me a couple for me, but I can't help but feel that they just wouldn't be the same. Any help that a fellow FXR enthusiast can offer to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

welcome aboard

Comment

Working...
    X