Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good day folks, just joined and looking forward to getting involved in general discussions. I have a 38 UL, and a 48 EL, which is currently under construction. 30 years ago, I traded the pans for knuckles, and now have a "bastard" 48. At some point I will be looking to see if someone wants to trade their pan heads, for my knuckles. Anyway, am glad to be a member and look forward to being a member of this great society.
    Tom

Welcome aboard. What Knuckles is it that you have for trade?

Comment

To be honest, I dont have a clue. I am not good at distinguishing between the years of cylinder heads. If you have any clues to tell what year, i'll look and let you know.

Comment

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have some nice bikes!
        Craig (Delaware)
        Delaware Bay Chapter
        Perkiomen Chapter
        AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Just look at the serial # of the engine located just below the timing plug on the left dide of the engine. For example 46FL1234.

Comment

There are lots of different heads over the years. The most obvious differences are early (small intake port) or late (large intake port). The port size changed in '40. The heads have date codes on them and there is a lot of information available as to year. Other features are primer tap holes, etc. The best way to ID them is lots of photos posted for members to see. Most features are covered in Bruce Palmer's restoration guides, but the latest is currently out of print.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Gentlemen, thanks for your wisdom. I found a used copy (pricey) of Bruce Palmers book. Serial # is 48 EL 6800. I am half blind in my old age, and cant make out the stamps on the heads. Once it warms up, I am going to strip the motor and if I am computer savvy enough, will post pics.

Comment

Welcome Tom:

There's certainly a good chance of finding help with a trade when you are ready. You can do that in the want ads forum here or the forum for Panheads and Knuckleheads. Sometimes it helps to also let people know you are looking by posting in the Parking Lot Chatter so it gets seen by more eyes.

Mike Love
                AMCA Forum

Comment

welcome aboard

Comment

Working...
                  X