New Member in Taiwan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member in Taiwan

Good evening, and thank you for accepting my membership of the AMCA.

I am a retired British Army officer of 33 years service, retiring in 2012 and emigrating to Taiwan. I am a keen artist, writer and Victory motorcycle enthusiast and have very recently had a book published, "Victory - Motorcycle Tales from Around the World". I am on the Board of Directors of the Victory Motorcycle Club and also the Club's official historian.

I have many happy memories of watching vintage motorcycle races at Cadwell Park in England with my father and have a real soft-spot for those older motorcycles. Sadly here in Taiwan it is all but impossible to (legally) use an older (or modified) motorcycle on the public road.

Thank you once again and I am looking forward to developing friendships within the AMCA.

Mark ("Llama")

Welcome to the AMCA, Mark. Is the Victory, the American V-twin bike made by Polaris? If so, I've always heard good things about them, but see they morphed into a new Indian. I think many of us would be curious to know more about motorcycling in Taiwan. I assume it is rather busy on the roads there, and probably somewhat frightening for a biker. What is the problem with older motorcycles in Taiwan?
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Welcome from Alaska
      Steve

Comment

Greeting's from the Wolverine State.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
          Welcome to the AMCA, Mark. Is the Victory, the American V-twin bike made by Polaris? If so, I've always heard good things about them, but see they morphed into a new Indian. I think many of us would be curious to know more about motorcycling in Taiwan. I assume it is rather busy on the roads there, and probably somewhat frightening for a biker. What is the problem with older motorcycles in Taiwan?
          Good evening Eric,

Yes indeed, the Victory motorcycles with the parent company Polaris. They suddenly stopped manufacturing them in January 2017 without even the hint of a rumour in advance.
          All imported "heavy motorcycles" (as they are classified here) in Taiwan are frighteningly expensive roughly double what you would pay in the US. I keep meaning to check when they became legal here, but it isn't long, perhaps 15 years, so there isn't really that culture or awareness of motorcycles on the road. There are millions of scooters however, and a scooter repair shop on every corner! I enjoy living here, but the standard of driving is poor. From what I see, far too many motorcycle riders are equally as fatalistic as the rest. I am not sure therefore if the prevention of us from using the highways is to legislate against irresponsible motorcyclists, or to protect us from the bad driving of everyone else. I did hear that some years ago they allowed it, but there were far too many fatal accidents in a very short space of time and consequently we were banned once more.

With regards old motorcycles, actually I am not sure why not. I did exchange emails with a dealer some months ago who had a BSA for sale. He was asking far more than an equivalent BSA would cost in UK and yet, as he honestly told me, it could never be legally ridden here. Actually he was a very honest chap and I have retained contact with him. He recently advised me that if he were me he would never buy an old or customised motorcycle here, unless I wished to risk legal problems, or I was a wealthy businessman "with connections"! I have been advised that it is nigh on impossible to import an old car or motorcycle here.

Comment

welcome aboard

Comment

Working...
            X