Howdy from Montana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy from Montana

Really looking forward to making some new friends and meeting some like minded folks. Ive had a love affair with old Harleys since the mid 90s. I started out with a couple sportsers and bought my first 45 solo basket at 19 years old. Ive had a deep love for flatheads ever since. My curreny ride is a 84" 1937U. It has a few oem bits but i guess you could call it a custom or chopper. I love all old bikes and dont really discriminate. I work as a fly fishing guide in Montana as well as remote Alaska and would be happy to share any info on that. Pm me with any questions and id be happy to pass on what ive learned.
    Hopefully there are some other like minded individuals somewhere in Montana. Ive met a couple, but meets and swaps seem to be mostly nonexistent. If anybody knows of anything going on around here please let me know!
    Cheers!
    -Matt
    Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile....
    -good ol GD

Originally posted by montuckymatt View Post
    Really looking forward to making some new friends and meeting some like minded folks. Ive had a love affair with old Harleys since the mid 90s. I started out with a couple sportsers and bought my first 45 solo basket at 19 years old. Ive had a deep love for flatheads ever since. My curreny ride is a 84" 1937U. It has a few oem bits but i guess you could call it a custom or chopper. I love all old bikes and dont really discriminate. I work as a fly fishing guide in Montana as well as remote Alaska and would be happy to share any info on that. Pm me with any questions and id be happy to pass on what ive learned.
    Hopefully there are some other like minded individuals somewhere in Montana. Ive met a couple, but meets and swaps seem to be mostly nonexistent. If anybody knows of anything going on around here please let me know!
    Cheers!
    -Matt
    Asking here as you did Matt is a good way to find activities in your region. You could contact your nearest chapter to get a local perspective. Here is contact info.

#38 Northern Rockies - Montana, Idaho (MT)
    406-538-7128
    jimmerauto@midrivers.com

and

#52 Yellowstone Chapter - Montana (MT)
    406-698-5609
    heiliger@bresnan.net

and finally in South Dakota but possibly close depending on where you are in Montana is the Black Hills Chapter

#37 Black Hills - South & North Dakota, MT, NE, WY (SD)
    605-225-5702
    carlcycle@nrctv.com

Welcome to AMCA and the AMCA Forum

Mike Love

Comment

Matt, Welcome, you live in one of my favorite states! Montana is amazing, I hope to get back out there in the next year or two.
      AMCA # 3233

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome! As we say here....Montana sucks but I hear Idaho is nice. wink...wink...
        -good ol GD

Comment

Matt,
          I spent some time in butte MT a while ago during a nice summer.
          It all went well until the day I was leaving. Moving out and loading my car downstairs, in short sleeves and no coat.
          Locked myself out of the building at the same time the first snow arrived.
          Had to wait 3 hrs for the postman to let me in the building.
          Some nice riding country up there.
          Cheers.
          Mick

Comment

Welcome Matt ..with your Harley! Rebuilding The Indian by Fred Haefele is a book about a guy in Butte (maybe he was in Missoula or Bozeman) who picked up an Indian Chief in Butte and got it back on the road with a pretty good (not Winner's Circle stuff) restoration. Anyway, I thought it was a good read and I wholeheartedly recommend it ...but since you're from Big Sky Country you've probably already read it and passed it along!
            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Hi Harry,

I ordered a copy yesterday! Thanks for the tip. It looks like a read that i will enjoy.
              -good ol GD

Comment

Welcome Matt. Sounds like a great job! Nothing to your 'big' fish in the northwest, but my youth was spent fly fishing in the small streams in south central PA. We used fly rods but fished with minnows, using a needle to feed the line through the mouth and out the rectum to be secured by a double barbed hook, then fishing downstream to simulate a minnow trying to get upstream. I'm sure this doesn't even come close to comparing to your larger streams and fish, but I thoroughly enjoyed walking down the middle of the small mountain streams with my grandfather catching 12" brook, rainbow or brown trout.
                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

welcome aboard

Comment

Working...
                  X