Hello to all!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello to all!

Hello to all, I am new to the AMCA community. I purchased a 1932 Harley Davidson in 2012 and had a friend restoring it, but after 6 years and $8,000 dollars later I decided he would never get it done. This August I took it elsewhere and it should be completed and ready to ride by late January 2019! Looking forward to learning more about it and how to properly operate it. I have a question for the community on a seat that was attached to the front of the main seat; what is this? My guess is its a buddy seat of some kind, but no one seems to know much about it. Can anyone identify it? I will attach a photo and hopefully someone will be able to identify it. Thank you in advance for any information.

Sure. Welcome to the asylum. You'll fit right in, and your 32VL, too! Y'ask a straight, honest question right off the bat.
    The accessory you inherited is a child seat; an aftermarket accessory, and kinda rare.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Thank you for the information on the child seat. I enjoyed reading your story on "Ol' Tex"; nice bike. I also want to thank you for your service.

Comment

Yup, I've seen a couple of those fantastically dangerous child seat accessories as well. Hope you have my VL Restoration Book, as most restoration work on the VL can be done with hand tools. And that is a 1935/36 tool box in the photo if I can lapse into judging mode for a minute. Seasonal greetings and safe riding in 2019!

Comment

Lots of other late stuff on that bike as well, like fenders, cylinders, etc. Doesn't look like a '32..

And welcome to the forum!
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Yes, I was thinking it was dangerous too! I must confess I have little to no knowledge on old motorcycles; ok none. Like the Johnny Cash song "One piece at a Time", that's what this Harley is. I was told it has a 1936 frame with a 1932 Flathead motor and a 1933 pump or something on it because the 1932's didn't work as well, and it also has a 4 speed not 3. I purchased it from the brother of the previous owner who passed away around 1962. According to him the Harley broke down and was shipped to Hawaii and back again at sometime and then sat in his garage until it found me. His brother found it in Los Angeles around 1960 (Year I was born) sitting in a dealership display but they wouldn't sell it until they closed down. I believe it was pieced together by someone at the dealership as a display not for sale. I knew I would find answers to a lot of questions on this site. This old Harley still remains a mystery, but hopefully I will get some answers here. I'm sure someone will recognize the old Harley and tell me of its origins. I will attach some photos of the old Harley from 1962. Thank you in advance for all your help and knowledge on this old Harley. Merry Christmas and God bless America! Be safe out there.
            Last edited by 1932VL; 12-24-2018, 09:15 PM. Reason: forgot to attach photos

Comment

That's what we call a rider bike. 1935/6 frame, 1936 horn mounts, 1936 paint job except the wheel rims should be red, 1934 muffler, 1934/5 cylinders, 1934/6 bottom end by the look of it, extra chrome, bobbed handlebars etc. With the history you described I would leave it alone and keep having fun. It looks like the bike has spent over half its life looking like that, so restoring it to original showroom condition would destroy a lot of history for little point.

Comment

Looks like a '36 with various other year parts. Fix everything mechanically and enjoy it. I have something similar; a '37 ULH that someone way back when liked the look of the '39 and painted with '39 colors and paint design, blue and white. Also added the fender molding strips. Gonna stay that way!

Comment

Working...
                X