Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to Pasco

20181017_172252.jpg

Well, that is my 1982 Harley Davidson XLSA in the Red and Black trim after its first real ride to work (5 miles) since I was able to get it running after it sat for over a year with all of the fluids drained out of it.

First, let me start with some background. I was looking for a Sporty to turn into a bobber and have fun with. I was looking at $1000.00 or less. I have built motors and worked on old stuff before, so I have no real fears about getting dirty. I was searching and I came across this bike on Craigslist along with 5 others in the price range. This one was higher at $1,500, but it looked like it was calling out to be checked out. I emailed all of the sellers and only the XLSA guy responded. I decided to research the bike. I asked for photos of the VIN and Engine (they match) and of any damage. The bike is not prefect and requires some work, she will never be concourse (not enough value to go that nuts), but she has enough value to restore.

Yep, I decided to restore and not chop. I love the Sporty line, although my Softail is my daily. I learned that my year is the first year of Willie G buy back and that this model is a 25th Anniversary of the Sportster commemorative edition and is a Roadster with a "custom" paint. They produced 788 of them (need to verify some of the facts).

The bike is 98% original which is unheard of when it comes to Sporties of that era, people (like me) chop them up or they are beaten up pretty hard. I actually have restored or maintained classic cars, mostly British, so restoring a Harley is no different. Yes, it is a bike, but the searching, researching, and finding parts is similar to cars.

Here is a fun picture to add, below, is a picture of the tank of the Sporty and my Softail. I knew there was a reason I liked the color of the bike. I honestly did not notice until I got it home and had them next to each other that they were near identical matches.
    20180922_184916.jpg

I am looking forward to riding and events with this bike. I think this week I am going out for a fun ride with some friends with older bikes, well a 1993 HD Softail and 2001 Softail.lol
    1982 XLSA Build

Left over parts are better then a nut dropped in the intake.

Be a shame to hack up a bike that is that original!

Comment

Originally posted by upsrod View Post
      Be a shame to hack up a bike that is that original!
      I agree that is why I am restoring it and making it into a nice riding bike. I am missing one piece and I think it will be a bear to find cheap.

DSC07409.JPG
      1982 XLSA Build

Comment

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Harley...cFao:rk:1:pf:0

Comment

Welcome Rene: Looks like a great project and right up my alley. I found and purchased an 82 XLH that sat under a tarp outside for ten years. It was pretty rough but I thought some TLC and general maintenance it could be a good bike. These 82 XLs while a modern bike compared to the many really ancient classic bikes on the forum it still has the old feel of a real basic bike but it enjoyed the many engineering and style improvements over the 25 some years of the Sportster. After a couple of years of work and learning on this simple bike I feel I have a good safe and reliable rider. I then went and found two barn finds that I am working on now. Good luck on your project and hope you will consider keeping us up to date with photos and commentary by starting a Member Bike Build thread.

IMG_3902.JPG

Mike Love

Comment

Originally posted by ihrescue View Post
            Welcome Rene: Looks like a great project and right up my alley. I found and purchased an 82 XLH that sat under a tarp outside for ten years. It was pretty rough but I thought some TLC and general maintenance it could be a good bike. These 82 XLs while a modern bike compared to the many really ancient classic bikes on the forum it still has the old feel of a real basic bike but it enjoyed the many engineering and style improvements over the 25 some years of the Sportster. After a couple of years of work and learning on this simple bike I feel I have a good safe and reliable rider. I then went and found two barn finds that I am working on now. Good luck on your project and hope you will consider keeping us up to date with photos and commentary by starting a Member Bike Build thread.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23065[/ATTACH]

Mike Love
            I will have to start a thread, but right now I have that information on my build in a website I made. I am actually taking it tonight to meet up with some friends at a local bike night. It will be my first "long" ride with it. I think it will do it, the motor has been strong and I am also noticing the carb and ignition are working better. I think some of the miss was caused by sitting and getting stuck or clogged. I do enjoy it and it is rather simple to work on. The first time I went to start it after cleaning and replacing all the fluids was funny. The fuel float bowl got stuck and poured fuel out of the overfil drain. My wife semi-freaked and all I did was pull the screwdriver out of my pocket and tap the bowl with the rubber end until it stopped leaking. Old bikes rule for simple fixes.
            1982 XLSA Build

Comment

Working...
            X