New Member from So California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member from So California

Hi, new to the forum, thanks Mike for the add.

I've just acquired a 1971 FLH Electra Glide, and while the bike is intransit, I wanted to start researching what I can of the bike's history.

Are there any resources for HD where one can learn when and where it was originally sold?

Any info on learning it's original color or original specs?

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Looking forward to the forum conversation,

Zorb
    Attached Files
    Latest...1971 HD FLH Electra Glide.
    San Diego Antique Motorcycle Club, an AMCA chapter.

Originally posted by Zorbemca View Post

I wanted to start researching what I can of the bike's history. Are there any resources for HD where one can learn when and where it was originally sold? Any info on learning it's original color or original specs? Zorb
    Welcome Zorb - congrats on acquiring your FLH. One thing I would suggest is that you post this same message in the Shovelhead forum. When starting your new thread in the shoveled forum consider titling the thread How to research a 1971 FL motorcycle's history. Just scroll down and repeat what you did for this post. Also look over the sticky posts (sticky because they stay right where they are) on performing research on this forum. There are people, no doubt on here that collect manufacturer's printed materials like marketing fliers, sales brochures, owners manuals, etc. You could probably find the paint selections in a sales brochure. Its all a bit of detective work. You have a real nice FL there, enjoy and good luck.

Mike Love

Comment

Here is at least a clue. Could be judging from your posted photo that it could be original paint. The website at this link appears to collect photos of different year and model paint schemes. It shows for 1970 - 1972 a Sparkling Burgundy on a photo of a boat tail and a color that looks close to your FLH. Here is a the link http://hdpaint.tk/colors/1971.html

Mike Love

Comment

I've just acquired a 1971 FLH Electra Glide, and while the bike is intransit, I wanted to start researching what I can of the bike's history.

Are there any resources for HD where one can learn when and where it was originally sold?

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Looking forward to the forum conversation,

Zorb
        Last one for now. One big opportunity to find out info is at your AMCA sanctioned meets. There you will find and build a network of others with years of acquired knowledge. Often swap meets will have for sale the owners manuals and sales brochures, etc. Here is a link to the 1971 line up and it offers some general specs. Your Factory Service Manual and Parts Catalog is critical resources for you. https://www.collectorsweekly.com/sto...orcycles-sales

Mike Love

Comment

Call Customer Service at the factory, and give them your serial number. It takes a few press 1, and press 2s to get there. They'll e mail a birth date, and some other info, possibly color to you in a week or so. The bike in the picture has been repainted.
          VPH-D

Comment

Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
            Call Customer Service at the factory, and give them your serial number. It takes a few press 1, and press 2s to get there. They'll e mail a birth date, and some other info, possibly color to you in a week or so. The bike in the picture has been repainted.
            VPH-D
            That is certainly helpful info.

MIKE LOVE

Comment

BTW Tomorrow, Saturday Oct 13th, is the great swap meet at El Camino Collage in Torrance, CA. Al least two AMCA Chapters will display and booths there.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris,
                Thanks, yes, I wish I could have gone. Some members of our local chapter went up, said it was a little wet, but a good show.

Thanks,
                Marc

Comment

Marc, By contacting the factory, you may find out the build date. You may find out the color. You likely will not find much else as the factory did not keep comprehensive records and has little interest in the older stuff. You will not get info on where it was sold, when, or to whom.
                  The VIN on your bike tells the model but not much else. If you have knowledge of previous owners that is your best bet. Most of the accessories on the bike are aftermarket period stuff from National, Dixie, etc.
                  Robbie
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Badger,
                    I've emailed the factory with my questions, but I suspest anything back. Any records for 1971 would have been on paper and I'm sure none of that was digitized later.

But thanks for the info on the total number of FLH's made. Makes mine very near the end of the year, 5,011 out of 5,475.

Thanks.

Comment

Marc, welcome to the forum. Hard to say exactly what info the factory has for each bike but from H-D Customer Service in November 2013 the owner of a certain 71 Super Glide received a letter containing the build date and the number of the dealer the bike was shipped to in New York.

While you’re waiting to hear from H-D, please look at the top of the padlock plate on your lower triple clamp and stamped there you may find an additional original component identifying number—for example, M1234. Other letters used on 1971 triple clamps were N, P and R.

Another ID number may be found stamped on the front of your trans case on the R-H side just below where the lid attaches. Same format as the triple clamp ID but letters for 1971 trans cases may have been G and H.

These ID numbers may be on file at H-D so you could ask the factory to confirm them. If they are original the factory should tell you but if they aren’t then the factory will not say what ID numbers the bike originally had.
                      Eric

Comment

Working...
                      X