Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howdy ya'll, Chris here. Ruth and I are new mamber from Homosassa, FL . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy ya'll, Chris here. Ruth and I are new mamber from Homosassa, FL . . .

I started riding legally on the streets in 1977, been riding almost continuously ever since. California, Missouri, Georgia and now Florida of course. Ruth rides, she learned about five years ago. We currently have five motorcycles. what prompted us to join was the acquisition of a fifties-ere "mutt panhead" that was put together in the late sixties. We know the history back to then, it's a 1950 driveline in a mostly 1958 "everything else" It's been sitting since 1977. I know that it runs and it is rideable but I also know that it needs to be gone through. I've worked on many different motorcycles over the years.I am currently rewiring with new OEM style harness. De-rusting some parts along the way. it had been sitting in a real old separate garage next to a house in a small town in Iowa for the last 10 years or so before we got it. The original owners son ended up with it, would ride it a few miles every year and then park it until the next year. The throw-out bearing balls retainer was shredded, I found that out when I went to replace the kicker arm (1950, one piece).

Our goal is to get it roadworthy and ride it, while keeping as many OEM parts on it as is possible (all OEM when we purchased). That's it.

I would like to gain knowledge about how to evaluate the powertrain's condition. I think it's maybe clapped out a bit.

We still have every part that are missing in the current pic.

Here's a couple pics of the bikes condition when we got it, the garage pic I took today.

April 2, 2017.jpg

Spuddley Bike Pic 2.jpg

At sellers house d He said that the speedo works..jpg

At sellers house b.jpg

At sellers house Aug 2012 a.jpg

Thank you
    Last edited by Spuddley; 04-02-2017, 01:44 PM.

Welcome and cool project you have there. I have a 58 that I need to get back to assembling my self. Have way too many irons in the fire right now and need to get some of them done and off my list and lifts.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA#12766

Comment

Welcome, Chris! Looks like a fun project. Interesting mix of tank emblems.
      I have a relative in Homosassa.
      Dale

Comment

Welcome! Nice collection of bikes! The bike looks great, RUST and all! IF it is original paint, please don't paint it, but... it's your bike ;^) Just have FUN with it and enjoy the ride!
        Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

Always buying Massachusetts Motorcycle License Plates. 1903 - 1961 -------------

Looking for any vintage Tumbleweed Motorcycle Club stuff

e-mail me at cashpaid@verizon.net

Comment

Welcome to the AMCA forum, Chris. I'm south of you, down in Sarasota County. Currently digging out my T-shirts, and wife beaters for the long hot summer ahead. I finally got smart and started using the A.C. in my shop. I love your '50/'58. I have a '51 that is slated for my lift in 2017.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Welcome on board Chris. Enjoy! Bob Luland
              AMCA #3149
              http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Re: "Interesting mix of tank emblems." - I believe that the left side tank is from prior to 1958 in order to accommodate the 1950 driveline/shifter assembly configuration (tank shift). That's my current theory, anyhow.

And I don't know how that pic of my 1998 Suzuki 1400 Intruder "chop rod" got uploaded in my original post, but there it is!

Comment

I have no plans to repaint this bike.

Comment

Welcome and what a cool pan you have there. I will help you anyway I can with parts or advice. There is a great wire and correct connector supplier I ran across at really descent prices. I bought a cloth rewire kit for my 69, but the cloth looming was almost correct, but not quite. If I remember correctly the kit had one white hash mark when the original had 2 or vise versa. I have quite a few original handle bars an switches if you happen to need something in that area. Anyway, have fun again welcome. I am also a newbie.
                    Ryan

Comment

when I got this bike several years ago I purchased a complete OEM style wiring harness from an unidentified USA-made company through J&P. Good quality, I'm OCD about a lot of things but that's not going to happen with this old scooter. I just want it to be "mostly kinda sorta" OEM parts and configuration and just ride it around out here in the countryside.

Welcome to AMCA!

Comment

Working...
                      X