X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member from Iowa

New Member from Waterloo, IA

Hello,

My name is Brian Schmidt. I was born here in Waterloo and have lived here all my life. I graduated from Waterloo East High School this spring. The AMCA membership was actually a graduation gift from my Uncle, who is also a member. I am currently going to Hawkeye Community College in Waterloo for gen-eds. I will be going to UNI after two years at Hawkeye, probably for Metal Casting.

I currently own two motorcycles.

The first one is a 1966 Triumph T100SR from my Uncle. My dad and I had to get his Topper going as a trade. He bought the motorcycle in 1968 when he was 17.
    Sometime shortly thereafter he made it into a chopper with 6 over forks, struts to replace the shocks, a peanut tank, a flat seat, a lot of chrome, and a variety of other things. The motorcycle was brought home in boxes, as it had broken down in the early 1980’s and sat in pieces in his garage since then. The engine was in terrible shape, somebody had put a roller bearing in place of the ball bearing on the crank, allowing it to move laterally. It knocked the brass bearing out of place on the other side and sent shrapnel through the timing gears. Also, the gearbox had been reassembled without a thrust washer and one of the needle bearings had disintegrated. A lot of careful machine work later (mostly on my dad’s part) we had it in good condition.

It was decided early on that it wouldn’t be able to go in the style it was, since the paint and chrome were peeling off, and we thought it would be difficult for my first motorcycle to be a chopper. I managed to locate a variety of replacement parts, such as a rear fender, tail light, similar looking gas tank (which I traded an old two stroke racing go kart engine for…) new fork tubes, different handle bars, and eventually a rear frame half and seat. It looks more like it should now. It certainly isn’t completely original, but it is at least decent looking and functional. It has about 28,000 miles on it, and I have put close to 1000 miles on it since I finally got the speedometer cable late last summer.

The second one was an $800 Craigslist find. It is a 1962 Sears Allstate (aka Puch Twingle) that is in original condition. I got it from somebody’s estate. As it sits, I only need a knob for the tool box door, the correct key, and to adjust the regulator, and replace the original tires for safety purposes. I have put about 500 miles on it in the past two months I have owned it. It was a very easy project to get running, all I have done is change the gearbox oil, clean out the 20 year old tank of gas, replace the fuel lines/valve, and repair the electrical connector to the tail light. It is in pretty good condition with very little rust and nothing broken. I intend to replace the seals this winter as a preventative measure. It has about 6800 miles on it.

I also have an old Puch Maxi that I got out of a friend’s grandparent’s barn for $50 and have put very little work into it. All that kept it in the barn for 20 years was one broken ground wire. I have gone on a few 100-mile butt-numbing journeys with it with no problems whatsoever. It needs new cables and other disposable parts as of now, but that it what winter is for…

Other things I like to do include building motorized bicycles (both with kit engines and those little two cycle Tecumsehs), repairing old radios, repairing old bicycles, trying to keep my FIAT Spider running, and reading articles about the above.

The first photo is me, it was taken last summer. The third and fourth are the Puch the night I brought it homem and the last one is my bicycle, then my moped, then my brother's moped (my brother's moped is a Peugeot, he is 16 now but he was 14 when he got it. He just bought a Honda 125 Scrambler, but with a low exhaust).

Anyway, I will be quite busy looking at the forums.

Thanks,

Brian

Triumph1.jpgTriumph2.jpgPuch1.JPGPuch2 (1).jpgMopeds1.jpg

Brian, I don't post here very often, but I am encouraged by your above resume'. Best of luck to you, mechanical inclination with enthusiasm is to be commended. Welcome to the rusty world of antique motorcycles.
    Keep on wrenching! Randy

Comment

You did a great job on that Triumph bringing it back from a chopper. Don't let the idea of every bike has to be 100% correct to enjoy. Heck, you already have that Puch. I don't know anything about them but it looks like with a little cleaning and a couple parts that could be a "Winners Circle" bike in the Original class. Don't re-paint or restore anything other than maintainence items and research in the judging threads how to reach that goal. Have Fun!!!
      Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 11-13-2014, 05:53 AM.
      D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

There's a Puch/Allstate in my past as well! A half century ago seems like yesterday.
        Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

I am doing fine, but it seems college isn't a good time for other guys my age to have hobbies like this. Alot of kids are scrambling to pay rent, tuition, etc. I am getting by fine, I played my cards right and got all kinds of scholarships. I still live at home, too, which helps with funds and lessens the need to work so hard. That and I already got about a semester of college classes finished in High School, so I have a light load. There is another guy who goes here I met at a stoplight while coming home on my Triumph one day. He was on a Honda 350 bobber, and he shouted over to me that he also has a 750 that he prizes. I couldn't find him later, though. Then also I have a friend who I knew through High School who managed to get five or six Ducatis in rough shape (we got one to run, could probably get another to also) for practically nothing. He also has part of a Triumph like mine, a Royal Enfield engine, and some other stuff like that. Also a VW bug, Le Mans, and a homemade tractor with a Continental industrial engine and a 5 speed automotive transmission.

He was never into old stuff, but Freshman year I had him over at my house and showed him this Briggs 5S I picked up somewhere, and he was hooked. It just so happens he basicly lives in a scrap yard on the edge of town. We searched through busses packed with junk in the hot summer of 2011, crawling and climbing through, even through a "maze" created with multiple busses parked directly side by side. Eventually, like a gem in a heap of dirt, out came a ruby-red Briggs 5S. We got that running over a few days. That lead into a great variety of mini bikes and go karts, then to motorized bicycles. I had my moped license at 14, mostly since my dad picked up a 1947 Whizzer titled as a moped. Once we got our driver's licenses and my motorcycle license, he found all kinds of oddball Chinese and Japanese scooters, eventually went through about a dozen Honda Expresses, a variety of older cars, Cushman Trucksters from the 70's we took off-roading (bumbling around on dirt trails), and then finally the Ducatis.

Sadly, he moved to Mason City, IA to work for an excavating company. I don't see too much of him any more. His family is still here, as is the majority of his stuff. I stop by and talk to them every now and again. My other friend went in the Marine Corps and I don't see him to often. Any more I just need another guy my age to work on stuff with...

Thanks for the comments everybody!

-Brian

Comment

Working...
          X