Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head Intake Threads and Seals ... Head Hog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neil74 View Post
    Cotten if we need to remove the nipples or rivets again, can this be done with J-B weld? Also any idea what they used on the early aircraft intakes?
    Neil!

Sorry for another late reply,
    but since the new forum format takes several minutes to open, at 2 cents a minute to my lan line provider, I may have to dismiss this forum to only view when I have borrowed time on other peoples computers.

This has been pushed further to be a genuinely a rich man's hobby.

JBWeld dissolves in methylene chloride strippers.
    The fear is that it will in modern fuels as well.

I have no information about aircraft assemblies at all.
    But I do know that modern aircraft fuels are not nearly as digestive as pump gas.
    To me, that makes aircraft techniques somewhat irrelevant.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

[QUOTE=T. Cotten;99830]Neil!

Sorry for another late reply,
      but since the new forum format takes several minutes to open, at 2 cents a minute to my lan line provider, I may have to dismiss this forum to only view when I have borrowed time on other peoples computers.

This has been pushed further to be a genuinely a rich man's hobby.

Cotten,
      AOL is FREE.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris,
        AOL may be free in a populous area, but in the hinterlands where I live there is no such thing. I depend on a local service provider. A small price to pay to stay away from civilization!
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

And AOL was anything but free when I first started out on it back in the '90s.
          (But it did let me publish a website with common MS software, and not need to fathom FTPs.)

Back again to topic,
          I failed to mention my favorite goober that has gotten me out of trouble so many times:
          Tnemec's Omnithane Series 530 isocyanate urethane aluminum primer.

It has proven P4gas-proof, so far.

...Cotten
          AMCA #776

Comment

Tnemec's Omnithane Series 530 isocyanate urethane aluminum primer,now thats a mouthful:) I tried JB weld on an old mustang gas tank once, two months latter a slimmy gob came off and I was leaking again.:)) 47th post had to edit an mention my Knuckle and Chief:) just seemed fitting.
            Last edited by Neil74; 08-27-2010, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil74 View Post
              Tnemec's Omnithane Series 530 isocyanate urethane aluminum primer,now thats a mouthful:) I tried JB weld on an old mustang gas tank once, two months latter a slimmy gob came off and I was leaking again.:)) 47th post had to edit an mention my Knuckle and Chief:) just seemed fitting.
              Neil!

It wasn't the "Kwik-Set" variety of JBWeld was it?

Last year's testing in Shell's summer "nitrogenated" fuel was the first time I observed any softening at all of the original formula. It was a minor change, but it still indicated a digestive effect.

This year, I sandwiched JBWeld between two blasted sheets of air duct scrap.
              Not only has it remained intact in this summer's blend, the surplus drool hasn't softened like last summer.

Although we never know what might come out of the next pump, original JBWeld is still the best we got.

It is most likely that there are other brands of epoxies such as Devcon that work as well, maybe better, but they will never be as convenient.

....Cotten
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-27-2010, 06:37 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

Cotten, my turn for being late on response:) sorry. I'm not really sure what kind of JB weld I used that day, I was at a friends shop and he said here use this JBweld. In all fairness the car was jacked up with the tank emptied enough there was no steady flow of fuel. Maybe enough still leaked or the fumes were enough to contaminate it. My biggest complaint as I get older is never having a good pair of reading glasses when I need them most. I used a borrowed pair of shop reading glasses that day so most of the job was just a blur:)

Comment

Working...
                X