Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heilman Saddles - I hate to revisit an old thread but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heilman Saddles - I hate to revisit an old thread but...

Yesterday I picked up an Indian Messinger saddle for my '34 Chief that was done by Heilman Saddles through a resto shop. The quality of the seat was poor, puckered leather at the seam edges, tool marks and scratches in the leather, a poor quality logo stamping and several paint scratches in a show quality pan. Further, this saddle had been sent to the Heilman shop about 2/09 with the expectation that it be ready for the Chesapeake meet in early October. It did not make it in time despite several calls from the resto shop in the interim advising that it was needed. Fortunately, I had another saddle on the bike that was good enough for it to get a Senior.

I called Larry prior to this post to express my disappointment, citing the fact that his Father had done five excellent saddles for me in prior years. Further, I told him I didn't expect a "do over", refund or compensation of any kind as I was done showing bike and the seat was OK for a "rider". His response was not "customer friendly".

I will be looking at other alternatives in the future.

re:sadddles

Looking at the photos of the saddles and having seen one of a certain firms efforts over here in London it would appear the workmanship and the colour of the leather resemble leather goods i had made for shooting in Honduras some years ago.This might answer the length of time for the order and the quality of the end product.The saddle i saw here in London wasnt of the quality of saddles i saw in the past.

Comment

Heilmann Saddles

Originally posted by chicagohen View Post
      Yesterday I picked up an Indian Messinger saddle for my '34 Chief that was done by Heilman Saddles through a resto shop. The quality of the seat was poor, puckered leather at the seam edges, tool marks and scratches in the leather, a poor quality logo stamping and several paint scratches in a show quality pan. Further, this saddle had been sent to the Heilman shop about 2/09 with the expectation that it be ready for the Chesapeake meet in early October. It did not make it in time despite several calls from the resto shop in the interim advising that it was needed. Fortunately, I had another saddle on the bike that was good enough for it to get a Senior.

I called Larry prior to this post to express my disappointment, citing the fact that his Father had done five excellent saddles for me in prior years. Further, I told him I didn't expect a "do over", refund or compensation of any kind as I was done showing bike and the seat was OK for a "rider". His response was not "customer friendly".

I will be looking at other alternatives in the future.
      I also have had saddles made by Howard in past years. The most recent about two and a half years ago. Howard is in his mid 80's and has had a tough time with pretty serious heart issues in the last two years. Cannot comment on Larry's candor, your frustration, or whatever exchange of communication you both had.... but old artisans and craftsmen do not last forever. Howard was a craftsman with the old saddles and I believe his son only does newer style saddles and is not interested in the pre-teens through pre-WWII stuff?

Steve Klein
      AMCA Mmeber 12176
      Cherokee Chapter
      Georgetown TX
      steve@steveklein.com
      361.652.8300 Cell
      Steve Klein
      Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
      American Pre-teens - 1965
      AMCA Member 12176
      Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
      www.CherokeeAMCA.org
      Steve@SteveKlein.com
      Georgetown, TX USA

Comment

I have had several saddles done by Larry Heilman and was never anything less than awed by his work... Beautiful.

But last month, I sent him a note to ask him about restoring the buddy seat on my 46 EL. And the response from him was that he is closing his shop and not taking any more orders. In addition... his note was less-than-friendly considering that I have been a delighted customer in the past. His e-mail was very pointed in its condamnation of today's owners, who he thought were too demanding. And he really went off on my request. Overall, rather nasty and very uncalled for.

Anyway, it is too bad because in his heyday, his work was amazing.

But the folks here have introduced me to Worsham Castle and I can't wait to see what Michael will send back. Based on everyone's descriptions here, it will be wonderful!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

My experiences were with Howard Heilman who was a real gentleman, craftsman, and old motorcycle lover. I've never had any direct dealings with Larry but I suspect that craftsmanship is either in you, or it isn't.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
          X