No announcement yet.

Cotton's floats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In these days and times it is not often that someone will send you the items before you send the dollars, but that is exactly what Tom did for me when I ordered five floats. I was quite suprised when he said just send a check or M.O. when I received them!
    I'm putting one in my '41 and I'll wait on the brass float in the '42 to sink (like its predicessor did) before I install it. Great workmanship by the way.
    It's a pleasure to deal with Liberty Motorcycle Specialties! Thanks Tom.

Lonnie from S.C.

Comment

I'll second (or third) what everyone else is saying about Cotten's floats.

When I had problems with the brass submarine "guaranteed" not to sink in my Linkert, someone recommended Cotten's float. I gave him a call and gave him my info. I then asked "How do you want paid?" and he said he'd send the part out with an invoice, just send back a check. I hesitated a moment and then asked "So, how do you want paid?" I too was shocked to pay AFTER receiving my parts, but this little float has turned out to be one of the best investments I ever made for my Pan. I'll certainly be back for more when it comes time to get the 45's going. Good stuff indeed!!

Mike

Comment

Cotten did the payment plan the same with me. No offence Cotten.....but you really must change your payment policy. Cotten's products ?????? Superb !!!!!!!! Paps

Comment

First,
          Thanks for everyone's support....

Second,
          It is only the 9 gram made-in-India brass floats that crack and suddenly sink. The 12 gram US-made brass floats are stable, but do not float in the first place.
          I have only one report of an extended and controlled fuel mileage study, but it averaged 29.4 mpg for brass, compared to 37.7 mpg for a Durable.
          So you may not wish to wait for a brass float to completely fail.

Third,
          I am indeed a poor businessman, but stiffs are not why my business is in dire straights at this time.
          There has only been a handfull of upaid accounts over the last year, and I attribute a good portion of that to a geezerly customer demographic: Most just forget, or overlook the bill in the label packet.

I previously asked this forum if I could post a list of outstanding accounts, not only as a friendly reminder to those with changed email addresses, etc., but also to help other vendors spot true offenders.
          But only vendors can be questioned here; customers are sacred cows, apparently.

Meanwhile, Wisconsin H-D will get no more floats from me.
          Anybody heard from Hatt's in Texas lately?

.....Cotten

Comment

Tom..

As I am in Germany, can ya get two of the floats here to me? Either at my German home address, or I will ask a coworker if I can have them sent to his US Military APO address..

George

PS. Do you also have the float attaching hardware?
            George Greer
            AMCA # 3370

Comment

George and All!

You only need to email liberty@npoint.net confirmation and your address to get your order
              into the Post Office. Airmail is quite reasonable...After all, Durable floats are ultra-light!

The attaching pivot nut and screw, which has
              often been discarded or lost if a brass float had been installed previously,
              is another $5.

Thanks again,

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

We just ran a short article in American Iron Magazine on my switching over from an old and shot float to one of Toms.

I am pleased witht he results. A+ Tom and thanks.
                Buzz Kanter
                Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
                [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
                [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

Cotton's Floats - DC Linkert

Cotton,

I met the guy who rebuilds the Linkert Carbs at the Rhinebeck meet yesterday and he really does a beautiful job.

WHat was interesting is that he had a clear-glass display of several floats submerged in (today's) gasoline showing each float's semi-submerged level for the same tab setting. Your Durable float was one of those displayed and, of course, was the only one performing at correct elevation, thus insuring a proper needle valve seating. He stated that your's are the only floats he will use, as long term performance is assured by doing so.

As for the DC Linkert floats we chatted about recently, I just purchase a DC-12 for my '64 Sportster from Clete Borchet with what appears to be a new float (what was my DC-7 used on - 1966 Shovelhead?). I would love to preserve this float for as long as possible and was wondering; since no new Durable floats are forthcoming, I am told that coating this float with gasoila (or I assume glyptol, as well) will seal it against the corrosive agents in the new gasoline. What is your opiniom about this?

I would assume that if this is tried, the new (uncoated) float's tabs should be properly set and the float mocked-up in water at the proper floating elevation. Then after coating, placed back in the water and the tab re-adjusted to compensate for any change in submergence level caused by the minor increase in weight of the glyptol or gasoila coating. The tab setting would be recorded ad used on coated spare floats, as theay are (hopefully) acquired. Does this sound reasonable to you?

Bill Pedalino
                  Last edited by billpedalino; 06-15-2008, 09:29 AM.
                  Bill Pedalino
                  Huntington, New York
                  AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill!

Gasoila and Glyptal both failed in Midwestern P4gas.
                    So have many, many trusted tank sealers.

The only sealer that I am aware of that that completely resists digestive fuels, and will not add appreciable weight, is an industrial isocyanate urethane from TNEMEC: Poly-Ura-Prime 530 Aluminum.
                    Since it is about $60 a gallon after hazmat shipping, most folks do not have access to it.
                    (It is also an extremely durable primer that cures to mimic cadmium.)

Mail me your float and I shall be happy to paint it for you.

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

DC Float

Tom,

I am very familiar with TNEMEC ('CEMENT' - Spelled backwards) products. The Poly-Ura aluminized primer that you referencess is used as part of a bridge painting system. Also, thinned Variants of the ISO product you referenced are used for coating concrete bridge decks and function as a penetrating sealer. I may have access to the primer, as I'm a Marine Contractor and work with a TENEMEC rep. and also with bridge painters on a regular basis. If not, I'd hate to buy one gallon to coat one or two floats. I'f I can't scratch a gallon up from TNEMEC or from a friendly Contractor, I'll send you the float. When you receive it, just let me know the cost for coating, shipping, etc.

Thanks again for the information and the help. As always, right on target.....

Bill
                      Last edited by billpedalino; 06-16-2008, 09:13 AM.
                      Bill Pedalino
                      Huntington, New York
                      AMCA 6755

Comment

Corrections

Just some corrections:

TNEMEC's fine coating is now called Omnithane 530.

I mis-stated elsewhere that DC floats were molded upon their levers.
                        Although molded, they are attached by a fastener, so in theory a replacement could be machined.... but at greater cost than a simple doughnut, however!
                        Health issues prevent me from filling this need at this time, so anyone desiring a $10 chunk of foam to carve for themselves should post me direct at liberty@npoint.net.

The last correction is beyond my control:
                        A recent hardcopy publication released without my consultation contains blatant and irresponsible errors.
                        The most destructive nonsense was that my DURABLE floats should be set at variance from book specifications. The truth is that I machine the ultralight material to a lesser volume to compensate buoyancy, and are designed to be set to the carb manufacturer's spec. This has caused distress and confusion among my customers, harming the reputation of both Liberty Motorcycle Specialties, Inc. and my DURABLE floats.

....Cotten
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Take care of your health Cotten ! Paps

Comment

Working...
                          X