Bugging vendors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugging vendors

Just curious how members feel about how to let a vendor know you're getting impatient. Before vendors get on my case (constructively, I hope:) I understand how tough it is to meet a deadline, source material, and schedule 10 jobs in 2 weeks. I used to make parts for Js, Hens, and Merkels and I have been on the receiving end of a few humorless phone calls so I am sensitive to the often underappreciated hard working one man shop. Again, curious what other members consider good manners, and limits. I haven't seen a question like this on the forum so I think it could be beneficial for customers, and service providers.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

I should add that I'm waiting on plating which has always been the most helpless place to be on a bike build.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Exeric;
      Good question;

I always try to keep in mind that the good vendors/artisans/craftsman are always busy and usually expensive. That said communication is key. If an "Estimated Done by Date" (EDD) was
      established at the start of the transaction then it would seem reasonable (to me) to give a POLITE call when the EDD has arrived or passed. Sadly I have too often been the bloke saying
      "No rush; take your time, I want it done right" then I have alone myself to blame when things stall then I try and focus on another aspect of the build I can control.

As an experienced craftsman and restorer you likely have in your mind and heart an idea of a suitable amount of turnaround time for the part(s) you sent for plating.

Did the parts require additional prep work by the plater?

Have you dealt with this plater before?

If you are getting restless, ill at ease, antsy then Hey give them that polite call; at least you will know where your project is at .
      AND PLEASE report back to the Forum getting a bad rep on the AMCA Vendor Services forum is something anyone should want to avoid.
      Just my 2 cents.

PS
      All that said remember the world has been turned upside down for the last 2 years with COVID; supply chain lag, shortages, unemployment
      all these may be a factor in the delay of your plating. Or maybe some other factor, again communication is key.
      Last edited by PaulCDF; 04-28-2022, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Great observations, Paul. I know what you mean about a vendor's workload, and the misery of the plague we have suffered through. I know how it feels to be overwhelmed by work, and schedule so I try to be very considerate of that. Plating, and paint work are the 2 things that can stop a project dead in it's tracks. I do my own painting so I can only yell at myself if that gets delayed but plating is out of my control. I'm having cadmium plating done and I have done all the prep, and made sure the parts were glass beaded, clean, and oil free but that's all I can do. The vendor is a friendly, nice guy so I can't be mad at him. I guess things pick up in Spring time so I'll just have to work on the one commodity I've always been short of-------Patience:)
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Generally commercial cad platers are done in days, two or three weeks tops. I don’t recall hearing of anyone waiting on cad from commercial sources.

The long part is 8-24 hours baking afterwards.

did you use a private service?

if yes, there you go. The old bike community seems to be agreed to time plus 50 percent.

i generally give vendors a 25% leeway, but in reality I plan for 50%.

Increasingly, the lack of communication will cost private/independent guys. Folks ain’t patient anymore.

Comment

These situations seem to arise because so often the folks involved may be talented in their field but they are not trained at running a business. A person can be an amazing chef, churning out delicious and creative meals but if that individual is not experienced at running the other aspects of the business, failure of the restaurant is imminent. Years ago, I brought a shovelhead motor to guy for a complete rebuild. I got to know him pretty well over the years. I had seen his work and knew he was a talented machinist. He ran a one man shop. I ended up waiting over a year to get my motor completed. He later admitted that he wasn't spending time on my project because he needed to do small jobs on a regular basis to keep his meager income stream flowing. Not surprising, his shop eventually closed.

Some folks a better suited working for others where their talents can be highlighted and managing the daily operation can be left to someone else who has better business/organizational skills. Having said that, you have every right to expect that your work is finished in a reasonable time frame and if there is a snag the vendor ought to at a minimum, give you regular status updates. Anything less is poor business practice and just plain inconsiderate.

My 2 cents . . .

Comment

I have been using Plymouth Plating for my cad plating for a number of years and am very happy with the results, they do top quality profession work in a timely manner and never lose or misplace parts. A few years ago, I talked them into advertising in the magazine, so you can find the info there. Did I also mention that their prices are very cost effective? The best cad platers I have ever dealt with and believe me I have used many throughout the years.
              Carl
              http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Carl, I wish I had gone to your guy. . . My guy finally finished the job, but almost doubled the quoted price. Hopefully they'll ship soon as I've been sitting on my hands for 6 weeks. I love the Indian Sport Scout, but I should have learned my lesson with the Excelsiors I've built because bikes that use the motor as a stressed frame member are the hardest bikes to build. Of course, everything I sent to the plater is critical to building up the frame. . . And they say hobbies relieve stress:)
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

" getting jerked around by a plater. "

Sorry to hear that. So . . . if you would care to share. Who is this individual so I can avoid him should a future need arise?

I had a similar bad experience with a local guy (who has since gone out of business, go figure)
                  Quoted me one price to paint my tanks and fenders then when done was demanding TRIPLE (which I did not have) for straight flat black (no pearls, or flake) just Flat Black.
                  Since then I have become very leery/cautious about sending anything out. I have also; grown to appreciate the "rat" look I can achieve with rattle cans.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post
                    ... I have also; grown to appreciate the "rat" look I can achieve with rattle cans.
                    My approach, Paul,...

Uses harborfrate loose-hair brushes!

Often then dressed with cheap paper towels.

(On my four-wheeled vehicles however, I prefer a broom.)

....Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-05-2022, 01:08 PM.
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I should up-date this post and say that the plater did finish the job. They did a very nice job so I have no complaints about quality. However, I think a vendor needs to be communicative with their customers and document their contact which can avoid a lot of conflict. I used to make vintage parts for Hendersons, and Excelsiors and I know that material supply, tooling, fixturing, and turds from outer space can cause havoc with promised delivery. Do your correspondence via e-mail, and save everything in a folder that you can reference.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Work done cheap,fast & quality...pick one.

Comment

My point was; there has to be communication between vendor, and customer. If there isn't, there WILL be a misunderstanding.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                          X