12 volt starter repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 volt starter repair

Anyone know a club member, or anybody else, that repairs Prestolite starters?

Since nobody seems to, Omar,...

You need access to a lathe, a growler, and four wooden spring-type clothespins.

(And the Service Manual, of course!)

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Yeah, the growler is where I'm stuck!

Comment

Omar, I know this won't help you but I used to have a local shop who rebuilt many of my starters, alternators and generators on my boats, tractors, cars, trucks and bikes. Unfortunately with todays throw away society, his services were no longer required and had to close his shop. My dad use to manage a car-carrier terminal shop that brought this guy tons of work too but those days are also long gone.
        Craig (Delaware)
        Delaware Bay Chapter
        Perkiomen Chapter
        AMCA Member #1011

Comment

I would think you can check it for continuity just like a generator armature with a common meter. The commutator should have continuity from segment to segment but not to the rotor laminated segments. Also, remember the positive brushes go 180* from each other as the same for the negative brushes, not side by side. Here is a link to a repop, old Dixie stock. https://www.bmikarts.com/12V-Starter...81_p_5516.html
          I bought one for a spare and have not tried it yet. Quality looks ok, can't beat the price. It is made in Taiwan.
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

You can find a growler on eBay. Talk to some folks that restore and repair old tractors. See who they are using. If you are close to a Amish community you may ask them about a repair shop. A electric motor repair shop should have a grower maybe they would test it or repair it.
            Jim D

Comment

Mercruiser uses prestolite starters.

Comment

Big Lake Bob is correct, you can use an ohm meter. A growler is just an audio continuity tester. You could even use an audio points tester. Armatures are usually the problem but it could also be the field coils. I thought I had seen replacement armatures, just can't remember where.
                I know Nick sells rebuilt generators, I have bought generators from him and never had a problem. I do not know who he uses to rebuild them. He may also sell rebuilt starters. 856-728-9607.

Comment

just retired after 50 years as a rebuilder of starters , generators, alts, and dc motors. Have rebuilt many hd starters and a few for my own shovelheads. let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by LUVMYSHOVELS View Post
                    just retired after 50 years as a rebuilder of starters , generators, alts, and dc motors. Have rebuilt many hd starters and a few for my own shovelheads. let me know.
                    Good to know! Thanks.
                    Craig (Delaware)
                    Delaware Bay Chapter
                    Perkiomen Chapter
                    AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Originally posted by Arley View Post
                      Mercruiser uses prestolite starters.
                      I cruised the internet for Mercruiser parts. Problem is, you can't access a parts catalog without inserting a serial number. Wonder if you could be a little more specific in regard to where Mercury uses the Prestolite starter. If I can sneak into the catalog, maybe I can find some original replacement parts like armatures, brushes and holders, field coils and pole shoes

Comment

Originally posted by Omarttentmaker View Post

I cruised the internet for Mercruiser parts. Problem is, you can't access a parts catalog without inserting a serial number. Wonder if you could be a little more specific in regard to where Mercury uses the Prestolite starter. If I can sneak into the catalog, maybe I can find some original replacement parts like armatures, brushes and holders, field coils and pole shoes
                        Idk my friend had a 60 hp and an 80 hp that used the prestolite starter. Whether parts are available or not you may check a local marina

Comment

Originally posted by Arley View Post
                          Idk my friend had a 60 hp and an 80 hp that used the prestolite starter. Whether parts are available or not you may check a local marina
                          Will do. Thanks for the lead.

Comment

Omar, Give the folks at Strobel Auto Electric a shout 585-584-3187. They are located at the corner of rt 20 & rt 19 in Pavilion NY. I had them go through a Sportster mag for me a few years ago. It's a real throw back shop, lots of farm tractor and industrial equipment electrical repair. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X