PRESTO mini fire extinguishers refil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRESTO mini fire extinguishers refil

Hi, I am looking for information on how to refill the mini Presto Fire extinguishers and/or the MIDGET fire extinguishers (as per attached photo).
    These old and small fire extinguishers are appropriated to be mounted on antique motorcycles and I have one empty that I want to refil with modern non toxic components.
    The one I have mounted in my motorcycle, on the attached picture is fully functional and reloaded.
    Anyone that can share recommendations on how to do that please post me a message. It might be not simple but it is worth to keep the beauties alive.
    Thank you, Ed
    Attached Files

I had a motorcycle catch fire due to a P.O.S. fuel filter. I don't think that fire extinguisher would put out a match, let alone a gasoline fire:) If fire is a concern, I would consider putting a bigger fuel effective, modern f.e. in a saddle bag. Believe me, a gas fire on a motorcycle is VERY hot, and quite scary. I always keep a big, full charged fire extinguisher in my shop which is where I should find out if I'm going to have a gas leak:)
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

They were originally filled with Carbon Tetra-chloride, a cancer causing carcinogen.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Hi, thanks for sharing this info, perhaps you misunderstood me, or I wasn’t clear enough. I agree that a big and reliable fire extinguisher is needed, actually I have it always with me and when riding I take it with me the one in the link below:

https://mikeshouts.com/meet-the-worl...-extinguisher/

My question is more like refilling the original Presto fire extinguisher. I have it mounted on my motorcycle because I like it and would like to have it refilled and learn how to do this.

Sincerely,

Ed

Comment

I think they are nifty, Ed!

And making them useable should be applauded, not sniveled at..

I am unfamiliar with them, but once you have decided on the contents, its a matter of charging them.
          Are there any apparent caps or perhaps a valve similar to a Schrader?

My "FIRES-ZOUT" trichloromonofluoromethane extinguisher has probably lost its CO2, but I wouldn't hesitate to recharge it like I do nearly-spent rattle-cans: With a rag to catch spray, I take my compressed air gun and place it firmly upon the depressed nozzle, letting it back up when it stops gurgling.

...Cotten
          PS: Mine came out of a dumpster last week, but there's no bar code.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-02-2019, 10:57 AM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Hi Cotten, thank you for your support! Honestly I never charged myself any fire extinguisher, so if you don’t mind I would be very pleased if you can send to me some step by step recommendations on how to do that? Let me take few pictures of the fire extinguisher I have and I will share it with you. There is a valve on its back that is used to open the fire extinguisher and perhaps needs to be used for charging as well. I will send to you these pictures tomorrow. Would that be ok for you to support me? Thanks, Ed

Comment

Originally posted by epazikas View Post
              ..Honestly I never charged myself any fire extinguisher, so if you don’t mind I would be very pleased if you can send to me some step by step recommendations on how to do that? ..
              Me either Ed!

But I look forward to your photos; It may be most convenient to email them to me direct at liberty@npoint.net, and maybe I'll be inspired with a solution.

Beware it might be 'barnyard'...

(If the contents must be emptied, cleaned, and replaced, then we need a way to get inside. Attached is a common spray can upon which I soft-soldered a bung for filling with cheap solvents. It is pressurized as I mentioned, and has serviced for... uh,.... .. nearly two decades. It may be destructive, but if it gives an artifact extended usefulness, so be it.)

....Cotten
              PS: Those who are scared stiff by soft soldering must forgive me; Double-stick tape won't do!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 01-02-2019, 11:41 AM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

Hello again, I like very much your solution for this spray can, it is a very clever solution! You see, the fire extinguishers in the past were rechargeable, special these little ones which were produced for mc use. It is a pity to through them away, but when I asked people around to help me, always the answer was the same, to through them out and buy a new one. I like to preserve them instead. I know that in the past they were filled with chemicals that are not a good option today, but there must be alternatives. I will be glad to send the pictures over to you and don’t worry for the case you can’t help too much. I have the time and I think there will be a solution.... have a great day! Ed

Comment

Presto mini fire extinguisher refill

Hello again, I like very much your solution for this spray can, it is a very clever solution! You see, the fire extinguishers in the past were rechargeable, special these little ones which were produced for mc use. It is a pity to through them away, but when I asked people around to help me, always the answer was the same, to through them out and buy a new one. I like to preserve them instead. I know that in the past they were filled with chemicals that are not a good option today, but there must be alternatives. I will be glad to send the pictures over to you and don’t worry for the case you can’t help too much. I have the time and I think there will be a solution.... have a great day! Ed
                  Ed,It is not clear from the photos but it seems like the outlet nozzle may be threaded. If it is, this is where you would refill the extinguisher.
                  Thread on a filling hose, open up the valve. Fill the tank then turn off the valve. remove the hose.
                  These are pressure rated containers and should be filled to a maximum pressure.
                  I have no idea where you would get the refill chemicals from. Usually I take empty extinguishers to a fire safety company who have the ability to recharge exhausted extinguishers. They also usually certify them as being safe to use at pressure.
                  Cheers
                  Mick

Comment

Originally posted by aumick10 View Post
                    Ed,It is not clear from the photos but it seems like the outlet nozzle may be threaded. If it is, this is where you would refill the extinguisher.
                    Thread on a filling hose, open up the valve. Fill the tank then turn off the valve. remove the hose.
                    These are pressure rated containers and should be filled to a maximum pressure.
                    I have no idea where you would get the refill chemicals from. Usually I take empty extinguishers to a fire safety company who have the ability to recharge exhausted extinguishers. They also usually certify them as being safe to use at pressure.
                    Cheers
                    Mick
                    Hi Mike, thank you! I will make some research at my side, again, but last attempts were unsuccessful, because people tends to cast out old fire extinguishers by saying it is not worth to refill those old unreliable pieces. But I like them and will have a try. Of course I also have modern and good extinguishers nearby, just in case. To be honest with you, after I got those misfires through the air cover, which caused a flame, I became very concerned about starting my motorcycle. I did everything to impede the fire to happen again, but I need to get my confidence back...I can not be concerned all the time because this will not do any good. How to regain the confidence??? Ed

Comment

..To be honest with you, after I got those misfires through the air cover, which caused a flame, I became very concerned about starting my motorcycle. I did everything to impede the fire to happen again, but I need to get my confidence back...I can not be concerned all the time because this will not do any good. How to regain the confidence??? Ed
                      Its always frightening, Ed!

An evil manifold leak does that.

Please review http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html, and join the crusade.

....Cotten
                      PS: I put out a VL with a bock once.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Hi Mike, thank you! I will make some research at my side, again, but last attempts were unsuccessful, because people tends to cast out old fire extinguishers by saying it is not worth to refill those old unreliable pieces. But I like them and will have a try. Of course I also have modern and good extinguishers nearby, just in case. To be honest with you, after I got those misfires through the air cover, which caused a flame, I became very concerned about starting my motorcycle. I did everything to impede the fire to happen again, but I need to get my confidence back...I can not be concerned all the time because this will not do any good. How to regain the confidence??? Ed
                        Ed,
                        You should be aware that if you take this to a company to have filled. and it doesn't pass the pressure test, I have had them returned in two pieces so they can never be pressurized again. Pretty extreme, but it can happen.
                        If you have a good relationship with your local fire chief, that is probably your best first move to ask them.
                        Cheers,
                        Mick

Comment

PRESTO in pictures

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                          I think they are nifty, Ed!

And making them useable should be applauded, not sniveled at..

I am unfamiliar with them, but once you have decided on the contents, its a matter of charging them.
                          Are there any apparent caps or perhaps a valve similar to a Schrader?

My "FIRES-ZOUT" trichloromonofluoromethane extinguisher has probably lost its CO2, but I wouldn't hesitate to recharge it like I do nearly-spent rattle-cans: With a rag to catch spray, I take my compressed air gun and place it firmly upon the depressed nozzle, letting it back up when it stops gurgling.

...Cotten
                          PS: Mine came out of a dumpster last week, but there's no bar code.

======

Hi Cotten, here are few pictures that I promised to send to you for the Presto Fire extinguisher.
                          The valve on the rear part can be easily unscrewed and perhaps the extinguisher should be refilled by inserting a device on the front while the valve in the back is open? Now, if this is the case or not, which device can be used for refilling, measurements and how to insert the powder, chemicals and to pressurize it, I have no idea. I hope one day I will get the answer. Thank you, Ed
                          Attached Files

Comment

I can see the valve mechanism, Ed!

But I'm not sure that's the way to fill it, unless the contents are liquid maybe.

I would first search out practical contents, but I would not know where to start.

....Cotten
                            PS: I'm down to about 20cc's of reagent carbon tet.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

Ed - one of the big problems as mentioned in an earlier response is that cylinders that hold contents under pressure to dispense a substance are regulated and must comply with hydrostatic testing. Cylinders generally are required to be tested every twelve years. Sometimes the cylinders fail the hydrostatic test by catastrophic destruction because they materially give up their strength. So if you find a fire protection service that services systems they will need to insure before they fill that it complies with the testing criteria. Clearly you don't want to destroy those antique cylinders. But you could have a discussion with the professionals that service fire protection systems and get their advice. You may be able to use a small current size "clean system" agent in a faux or repop look alike of the original. Even the current charged one you have could offer you risk of bursting and exposing you to dangerous carbon tetra chloride agent. I tried to find commercial fire protection system servicing in Sweden and wasn't successful. But I know they are there because all you computer clean rooms and restaurant cooking hoods and ducts require refillable and serviceable systems so those companies exist you just will need to tract them down.

Mike Love

Comment

Working...
                              X