Indian V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian V8

Does anyone know who makes the Indian V8 (video below)? I love the attention to detail that pays homage to the old 'Indian 4s' but adds the thrill of modern day performance and reliability in a v8. Genius!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuwLt651mAk

Very Respectfully,
    Jason Miller
    760-518-4533

A very good mate of mine here in NZ.
    I'll be staying with him tomorrow night and will ask him if he wants his name put up here.
    There's quite a queue waiting to buy it should he decide to sell it or manufacture a second one.
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

That is surprisingly good looking, well done. I thought I was going to see a small block jammed into a Chief type setup, which would suck. That was really cool, thanks for posting. Any additional information would be enjoyed.

Comment

My favorite touch is the silver duct tape used to secure the battery! Pretty neat bike, actually.

Comment

I have seen that bike before and I think it is the best looking, and smartest configuration of a 6, or 8 cylinder motorcycle. The reason it looks so good is because the builder didn't radically change the frame dimensions of a standard 4. Also, this man is a gifted machinist, and engineer to execute such a brilliant concept.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Carl Vandre's 6 and 8 cylinder Hendersons are spectacular. He rode that V-6 all over the mountains of Colorado and New Mexico usually with his lovely bride in the car. RIP Carl.
            Attached Files
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Robbie, Carl was a very good friend of mine and I miss him dearly. We rode many miles together either on his stock Henderson, RARE low frame Super X, and his Specials. It was good he able to pass on a lot if his information and knowledge to Matt Olsen before his passing. He was such a great and kind gentleman.
              DrSprocket

Comment

As I said I was staying with the builder of this bike and I got his ok to name and shame him here on this forum.
                Ken Campbell is his name and he comes from the small village of Matakana which is about an hour north of Auckland.
                The work that comes out of his shop is unreal and he has promised me some detailed photos of the construction of the V8 to put up here.
                He won't accept any work at present as what he has on hand will keep him very busy for quite a while into the future so please don't ask.
                One thing that Ken is very adamant about is that not one piece of genuine Indian parts has been used to make this machine,everything he made himself so nobody could accuse him of butchering genuine Indian bits.
                There must be something in the water up there as Ken's neighbour is Graeme "Croz" Crosby and he pumps out some exceptional Kawasaki's from his workshop next door.
                When the right opportunity arises Ken's keen to take the V8 to America and ride alongside a vintage road run, maybe the Cannonball and let you Americans see what is possible if you have the vision and the determination.
                Maybe someone on here has some suggestions.
                I've been promised a ride on this masterpiece and I have to admit that as a dyed in the wool Harley man this is one Indian I'm looking forward to riding.
                Maybe this is not really the correct section of this forum to discuss this motorcycle and maybe the moderator could consider moving it to a more appropriate place.
                A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Howdy chaps,

Cannon a Ball, that’s pretty ambitious, think I’d have a large oil can in my back pack to lube that exposed intake valve train while underway.

One can say what they will about the 38 - 42 Fours being more form than function. Think it inspired that they came up with simple fluid tension on rising vapor subsequently collecting and dripping off felts into receivers over the push rod cups on the intake rockers as a more than adequate way to lube this valve train.
                  Cheerio,
                  Peter
                  1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Somewhere on this forum I've already put up photos of this bike but here's some more
                    Attached Files
                    A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

And three more.
                      It's 2.6 litre and much to Ken's disgust it's a 45 degree vee and not 42 as he would have liked.
                      45 gave the room that he needed to fit everything in.
                      His V8 motor will fit straight into an Indian 4 chassis with no modifications what-so-ever.
                      Attached Files
                      A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

I must comment from a machinist point of view. I believe those pictures don't document how great of a craftsman Mr. Campbell is. In my opinion, not only do the individual parts look amazing, but a running machine proves they are truly functional, which is an understatement to all of the time, work and engineering that must have encompassed this project. I can't even imagine the hours spent, which most can't comprehend or appreciate. Very, very nice workmanship, Mr. Campbell you are a very crafted individual.
                        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                          I must comment from a machinist point of view. I believe those pictures don't document how great of a craftsman Mr. Campbell is. In my opinion, not only do the individual parts look amazing, but a running machine proves they are truly functional, which is an understatement to all of the time, work and engineering that must have encompassed this project. I can't even imagine the hours spent, which most can't comprehend or appreciate. Very, very nice workmanship, Mr. Campbell you are a very crafted individual.
                          Although i get around ok'ish using my little Enco lathe, I don't consider myself a machinist by any stretch of the imagination. However i know just enough to realize and highly respect the incredible amount of experience, knowledge, time and flat out craftsmanship that went into designing this gorgeous piece of work and then creating it. In and of its self that this V8 looks like a factory job and fits into an unmodified factory frame speaks volumes of Mr. Cambell's ability. Is there any chance for more pictures and more details how he built this engine? How many parts are original, what original parts had to be modified and what parts had to be machined or cast anew?

i found this facebook on Mr. Campbell's efforts! https://www.facebook.com/KenCampbell...o95idHEFDHy1MR
                          Last edited by Steve Swan; 11-27-2018, 02:36 AM.
                          Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUPIOo7-o8
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"
                          https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...n-Project-SWAN
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRB...nnel=steveswan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDeuTqD9Ks
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlIsZKmsTY

Comment

Working...
                          X