No announcement yet.

Beware ,American Cycle Fabrication – Paul and Denise Friebus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All this free legal advice is pretty much useless.

Unless, of course, your telepathic prediction of what will happen is not correct.
    Then, the useless advice is about $300 an hour.
    The Linkert Book

Comment

I took flak from a bunch of people for calling them out earlier this year, and have recently been informed of someone having trouble getting a top end they ordered.

Taking in too much work and personal problems are an explanation, but not an excuse for not communicating. A simple, generic email stating they are backed up would settle a lot of nerves.

It's Sure to hurt business when you rack up long time frames and irate customers in the Internet era.

Yeah, Paul is smart and does good work. He's just got to get his business in line with his customer expectations.

I hope he does get it sorted. We really can't keep losing skilled shops in this hobby.

Comment

I can't believe he has had your stuff since 2011 and still not complete. I've been seeing complaints on other forums about how long it takes to get work completed. I was really hoping to take my 45" engine to Paul and have him work his magic. Now I must think twice about that decision as I do not want to wait years for an engine rebuild. I was also thinking about future work when needed on my Pan with him too.

Maybe Paul needs to stop taking in work until current inventory of work is completed and gets everything sorted with the business.
        Craig (Delaware)
        Delaware Bay Chapter
        Perkiomen Chapter
        AMCA Member #1011

Comment

For over 20 years I watched other authors offer books and guides on various older vehicles, generally with an announcement to analyze potential sales, then more specific to narrow the focus, then announce a publication date (with some slack built in), and finally solicit deposits.
          All ended in tears. No matter what, "something came up", personal problems, I got divorced, the dog ate my homework, my Mom was sick, you've all read them.
          I made myself a rule: don't accept any money until the product is actually in your hands waiting for the address label. The "Stovebolt" booklet* is now years overdue (sorry!), BUT I don't owe anyone money, and don't have anyone's property.

Moral: if you can't DO the work, don't take in the work. So easy...

* http://victorylibrary.com/235BK.htm
          Last edited by kitabel; 11-26-2018, 03:13 PM.
          The Linkert Book

Comment

Agree that they need to stop taking in work and told Paul as much when we were there. He tried to lay it off on Joel but Paul never likes to turn away work. He is a very talented builder, mechanic , machinist and metallurgist but not a very good business manager and that is a problem. The communication issue is a major one and I don't know how he intends to deal with it but he has to do something or else once the backlog is done he won't be seeing work come in and the wheels are off all his hard work in building a business and the innovations he has come up with over the years. I have several more motors I was going to take to him, but not now. and in good conscience can not recommend him to anyone and that is a shame. Don't know how it got so far off the rails but it is and he needs to figure it out and pretty quickly!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy

AMCA #12766

Comment

One thing I learned is to not rely on anybody.
              AMCA #765

Comment

As a person that has been fortunate enough to be self employed for 18 years, alot of problems that can be avoided are basic business practices. The paper trail, you drop off or send parts, a confirmation and receipt listing said parts, something called a 'packing slip' or USPS signed receipt, which is signed, pretty simple, shows parts were received. Then the expected date of completion, this is where the consumer wants a known date and the supplier wants more of a flexible date, but this is what is called a 'purchase order' listing expectations and guarantees. Then the item that separates the professionals from the novices is the communication when a problem or delay happens. People want communication, most are ok with delays, (especially when it is a personal project and not a fixture holding up the Ford assembly line), they just want to know when it happens, not weeks, months or 'I can't even fathom' (which is your fault) years later. And the money up front thing is baffling to me, why would you ever give money up front if you don't get a written receipt stating how much is given, what for, and when the expected date of delivery is, which if it isn't meet then agreement is made before hand to the consequences. Whether it be a % off, more time given to the supplier with no retaliation or whatever. My point is, I can't believe people go into a 'binding' repair agreement without a signed agreement, it keep both parties honest and efficient, period. I couldn't imagine accepting a job in my small machine shop without a P.O. (purchase order) first. Yea, they can be cancelled and you left holding an almost completed job, but at least its a leg to stand on if it goes to court. A guy comes to fix your broken furnace or fix your plumbing, what does he do first, gives you a written estimate which you agree to or disagree to. Nothing should be less expected from our great antique bike suppliers. My opinion.
                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

There isn't any "magic" involved, it's in the service manual. I think you mean "compared to the incompetent hacks turning out garbage"?
                  Harder: exactly how bad can an internal part be before it must be replaced? Uncle Dudley was famous for rebuilding big twins with as many known-to-have-life-left-in-them used parts as he felt were safe to keep the cost down.
                  When I worked at Harley-Davidson of New York (1983-84) I was shocked to learn that the "A" mechanic didn't know that Harley ever built an engine without Timken bearings.
                  The Linkert Book

Comment

Another 'AMERICAN CYCLE FABRICATION INC.' incident.

https://youtu.be/TXBHEiBalRo >>>TATRO MACHINE (YOUTUBE).

https://youtu.be/71NZKIi7-J8 >>>TATRO MACHINE (YOUTUBE).

*M.A.D.*
                    Last edited by JoJo357; 01-27-2019, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Installing a new lobe (1st, grind off the original) on the camshaft is the best way to get those really big KHK/KR style roller profiles into older sidevalve engines, significantly greater than can be done by regrinding. These are far more violent than any original 45 factory cam including WR.
                      In addition to the surgery, the new lobe must be very accurately "timed in", preferably in the actual engine (not a shop dummy), and then a weld joins the inner face of the lobe to the adjacent gear, which is visible in the videos.
                      For those with the capacity to do this (not for the faint of heart), Bruce Argetsinger manufactures new cam lobes with several useful profiles for this purpose, here's his site: http://www.enfieldracing.com/page/28565-H-D-Cams.
                      I made some comments w/r/t cam selection here: http://www.victorylibrary.com/kns/camnotes.htm
                      The Linkert Book

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
                        Another 'AMERICAN CYCLE FABRICATION INC.' incident.

https://youtu.be/TXBHEiBalRo >>>TATRO MACHINE (YOUTUBE).

https://youtu.be/71NZKIi7-J8 >>>TATRO MACHINE (YOUTUBE).

*M.A.D.*
                        Looks like tatro got his cams back completed.
                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2RPzyBBdvo4
                        Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile....
                        -good ol GD

Comment

Originally posted by montuckymatt View Post
                          Looks like tatro got his cams back completed.
                          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2RPzyBBdvo4
                          I'm happy someone got there stuff back.

Comment

Paul contacted me a couple of times and said he is actually working on my bike. I asked for pictures several times and "surprise" nada. No longer contacting me at all, total radio silence. The problem for me is having to spend a couple of grand to go down there and talk to him in person, but I am going to have to period.
                            If anyone see's him in person please say "HI" to him from Ty
                            I would also like to thank the people on the boards for the PM's of support and information, much appreciated.

Comment

Folks..

It just ain't the nature of the vintage industry to be both productive and instantly connected.

I'm proof of that.

...Cotten
                              AMCA #776
                              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                                Folks..

It just ain't the nature of the vintage industry to be both productive and instantly connected.

I'm proof of that.

...Cotten
                                That's true Cotton. I have a 1952 MGTD being restored and I don't bother the shop with lots of calls. I realize every time someone calls, it takes time away from the restoration and from the head honcho getting any work accomplished. I do get emails with updates every so often that keeps me informed of progress as well as updated expenses.
                                Craig (Delaware)
                                Delaware Bay Chapter
                                Perkiomen Chapter
                                AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Working...
                                X