Leather work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folks,...

Let me begin with admitting that stitching the original cover to the binding through the original holes would have taken me many painfull hours with what I call a "cattle stitcher", one of those hand-awls with a roll of thread that I used to sew up barbed wire cuts on Herefords.
    (Painfull not only because of crippled hands, but my wife's choice of TV shows that I would have been forced to endure.)

That was my incentive to send it off in the first place, and that part of the job is better than I could have performed without medication.
    I appreciate that, and that service was well earned.

But the rest I leave for your assessment.

....Cotten
    Attached Files
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I was very happy with Chuck n Jo at the Saddleshop for my 1/2 pan Messinger 3. However, It did take weeks later than they estimated.
      Dan Margolien
      Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
      Www.yankeechapter.org
      Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
        So do all the people he owes seats and money to.....
        Mark got really sick and I would not be surprised that he is in an Institution right now. I met him 15 + yrs ago. He did 2 seats for me(1 which is on my 41G and we became friends. He was recovering from being incarcerated and in there diagnosed with schizophrenia and was trying to cope and lead a normal life in New Mexico. He did his time and was let out. Imo, Another person that slipped thru the system and left on the streets(happens all the time if not for his dad in which I met as well. Weather true or not, that's what I think happened with Mark.
        My nephew was Institutionalized being diagnosed severe Bi-Polar and after time, they let him out homeless on the streets(can only stay so long and they need the bed. Had to rescue him and what a mess. He had no clue on who he was or where he was. He's better now taking his cocktail and I would like to think that I saved his life that night he called me when they released him.
        AMCA #765

Comment

My first wife was skitzy, Folks,...

(May she rest finally in peace..)

It is indeed a tragic loss that society abandons so many with exceptional talents, out of lack of understanding and patience.

I still cannot look at my Royalite without cringing. That fellow is too sane for me.

....Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-19-2014, 02:54 PM.
          AMCA #776

Comment

Sorry to post to two threads at once, Folks,...

But I pulled this seat off the wall to discover the skirt is already disintegrating.

The worst part is I didn't want the skirt, but he insisted!

....Cotten
            Attached Files
            AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
              Sorry to post to two threads at once, Folks,...

But I pulled this seat off the wall to discover the skirt is already disintegrating.

The worst part is I didn't want the skirt, but he insisted!

....Cotten
              How old is the leather? Looks like he used cheap skirting leather.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                How old is the leather? Looks like he used cheap skirting leather.
                2014, Ryan!

And its not leather, but more like 'neoprene'.

Its just been hanging, and not in sunlight.

Sickening.

....Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

Wow, I really do not know what to say. Thank goodness I am involved in making horse harness, if it holds up on a horse pulling a plow, it should hold up to fat man on a Harley.
                  I would get in touch with the man or let his name out so we can beware.

Comment

He was "difficult" even back then, Ryan,..

The cost was obscene, but I sure as hell ain't sending it back to him!

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by len dowe View Post
                      Did a search and seen a lot of different views of people doing leather work(researching seat post springs). I was curious on who you would have to do your leather work? God bless Howard.
                      Len - I can with full confidence recommend a guy I have known since Junior High School - John Longo. He started out doing auto upholstery in High School and then began specializing in motorcycle leather. Here is a quote from him in his low tech promotion.

Hi,

I'm John Longo and I've been working on motorcycle seats for 38 years. So far, I have centerfolded 321 Bike magazines. I made the seat on the motorcycle that won the Iron Butt race from Seattle to Miami. I work with all American made materials such as leather, naugahyde, gator, and reptile. You name it, I can get it.

No compromises. No computer generated designs, everything is handmade. Our services provide height adjustments, comfort techniques, pitch and angle modifications. Hand laid Fiberglass Seat Pans, custom stitch work, fitted laced leather, fringe and studded seats. I also do restoration of antique seats using original latex foam rubber.

I can make anything you can think of.

On this site, you can see photos of some of my work. I know that you'll be impressed. Call me. Come see me. You'll be glad you did. My address?

John Longo Motorcycle Seats
                      315C Howard Avenue
                      Rockville, MD 20850
                      USA

Telephone: (301) 762-4373

My Mobile Service is available for hire by the day. If you line up several seats at your shop, I'll come to your location and do the work on-site. For Mail Order, just send me your seat and a picture of your bike and I'll make a seat that gives you a unique look. Don't let your seat kill all your hard work on your bike. Get it done right by John Longo. As I like to say, "Put your ass on some class".

Sincerely,
                      John Longo
                      Mike Love

Comment

If you use Facebook you can find John Longo here https://www.facebook.com/john.longo.9421. John has recently posted a very plain leather saddle on a restored BSA.

Mike Love

Comment

Mike: In case it matters (e.g., in case you intended to reply to something else), please note that the original post is dated 2014. I believe that Cotten may have recently updated the thread to not list more disappointments and/or name someone he said isn't here. I'm all for updating threads, including for accuracy, new information, and posterity generally, especially if not much can be done as to the search functionality. Sent you a PM regarding the library.
                          Fletcher Clark Johnston
                          AMCA #282

Comment

Originally posted by ihrescue View Post
                            If you use Facebook you can find John Longo here https://www.facebook.com/john.longo.9421. John has recently posted a very plain leather saddle on a restored BSA.

Mike Love
                            John Longo does AMAZING work! I have some seats by him.
                            Mike, you went to Wheaton?

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by painterdale View Post
                              Mike, you went to Wheaton?

Dale
                              Yes Dale a 1972 Grad. Lived adjacent to the school of Randolph Rd.

Mike Love

Comment

Originally posted by ihrescue View Post
                                Yes Dale a 1972 Grad. Lived adjacent to the school of Randolph Rd.

Mike Love
                                Very cool! I was class of 1977 from Randolph Hills.

Dale

I can only "reply with quote" from this page. If I go back to page 2, I can "reply".

Comment

Working...
                                X