• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take it outside, Boys!

Like FaceBook maybe.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

A quick update.......I received an email from AMW and I called and spoke to them as well, they were very apologetic for the delay, they seemed very eager to help, I’m glade they responded.
      Todd

Comment

I've had good response from Jethro, he's still in Oregon. He recovered the saddle for my '25 Chief a couple years ago, top notch work.
        Mike Carver
        AMCA #3349

Comment

Jethro also did my tanks and seat on my 22JD. The workmanship was incredible. He is one of the few people in this industry that truly delivers what he said he would in the beginning. Bob L
          AMCA #3149
          http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

I always liked Mike and it was a great loss to antique motorcycling when he passed. He would travel all the way cross country sometimes to attend our smaller local swap meets here in New England. I do not know his boys but I am glad they followed in his footsteps. The last thing this club needs is anyone starting rumors or stating that someone does not know how to "communicate" with others. Especially when that person is not personally involved and has noting to do whatsoever with the entire situation or discussion. Instead of slander give praise to anyone in the new younger generation when they are making an effort to do restorations, make and sell part etc. 46EL

Comment

Originally posted by 46EL View Post
              You are the LAST and very very very LAST person who should EVER EVER comment about another persons COMMUNICATION SKILLS? Still waiting (about 10 years now) to see ONE PHOTO of ANYTHING YOU are WORKING on or RESTORING? Building?
              ANYTHING? PLEASE? Unlike these guys who might just have a full plate on their hands right now you are just plain old FULL of you know what.... This section of this forum is for INFORMATION about FELLOW AMCA CLUB MEMBERS who are vendors and not a place to degrade or belittle someone who does not answer the phone for some reason right now at this very moment. Do you Mr Haynes have an ongoing transaction with these people right now? Did you personally try to contact them for some reason about an ongoing probelm? If degrading or slandering someone is OK with you then you should not have a problem with me doing the same thing to you? Right? At least I know you are here to defend yourself? You would think after this club finally and formally stripped you of your "AMCA Senior Judge" title a few years ago you would have learned something about sticking your nose where it does not belong. Along with learning about how to treat a fellow club member and keeping your nose out of other peoples business like you personally did to me over and over. 46EL
              I see no reason to share anything I do with you. I am an AMCA Senior Judge and was never stripped of it. As usual your information is flawed. I didn't degrade or slander anyone. Just stated what I know.
              Last edited by Chris Haynes; 03-12-2018, 11:31 PM.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Just ONE photo? Of ANYTHING you have BUILT
                or accomplished? ONE PHOTO??? ANYTHING???
                And whatever you do DON'T apologize the the Smiths for sticking your nose in their business where it does not belong.
                46EL
                (PS- one photo of a restoration? something? only ONE?)

Comment

Chris Haynes has generously shared many of his Pohlman photos just to help someone out. It takes time and effort to post full size pics. His comment about the Smiths wasn't that inflammatory, as I've seen far worse, from other members. . . Could have been me:)
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

It's nice to see Bob L saying good things about Jethro.They are great people & great assets to the early bike community.The workmanship is very good.Some people get in big rushes & loose sight of the big picture.Most working hard to make these parts are not getting rich doing it.Patience is the key to this hobby.Chris has always tried to give us the best answers that he has to our questions & I appreciate that.Recently somebody was attacking Robbie,I won't mention his name .No reason except he thought he was so important that the world should stop for him.Very few in the world have the knowlege of these people.
                    I started learning as a game with my brother.At Davenport we would challenge each other as to what a part fit.There was no Palmers book,only parts books & many bikes to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                      His comment about the Smiths wasn't that inflammatory, as I've seen far worse, from other members. . . Could have been me:)
                      I re-read this and it could be misinterpreted. When I said, "as I've seen far worse", I meant far worse things said by many different members, about many different subjects, and people. NOT the Smiths. In this day and age, the written word on the internet can cause a riot. As for the Smiths, Mike was a good friend, and we helped each other out whenever we could. I really miss him. Also, I have seen Jethro's work and it is first class. I do small run, esoteric parts and it is not a money making venture. People need to support craftsmen like Jethro, and Bob Luland because without them, our bikes would look like something out of Communist Cuba. . . . (Probably get in trouble for that). What I mean is, the Cubans are brilliant at improvisation to keep 60 year old cars running. Phew.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

I met Mike in 1971 when he ran a very small chopper shop in Hawaiian Gardens in SoCal right around the corner from my house. I was riding a "long bike" '47 Knucklehead and had just returned from the "WAR". "RED FRED" and I stopped at his house in Oregon on the way down from a Washington National road run and stayed over night just a week or two before he passed. I miss him dearly. We had many good times. He and "KIWI" Mike anchored our vending when we first started our Dixon National our here 18 years ago. I know Chris does a lot for the cause but he was suspended as a judge for about a year and then was reinstated. His demeaner was less then stellar when dealing with some who entered machines in judging. Our original chapter chief judge quit because of it. He's seemed to have mellowed some with age. My favorite memory of the Smith's is the Oregon National road run when he and the four boys were all mounted on pre-sixteener's riding out to the ocean from Corvallis. Even more impressive was Mike riding in to the start of our 2003 Tahoe National road run on his 2003 H-D with his 1913 H-D strapped to an aluminum trailer behind it on his return from the Harley 100 year celebration. I miss him.
                        DrSprocket

Comment

I miss Mike as well.His ancestors came from Iowa City.I do geniology & know where their graves are.Soon, I'm doing a gravestone walk with his distant Smith cousins to tell them stories about their ancestors.They are my first cousins as well.For some reason I can't get beyond Mikes GGG grandpa,John Smith!

Comment

Mathew and Jethro have been very good to me over the years ! They have always called me back and followed thru with there end of the deal.
                            Somewhat like a fine wine I suppose .....great work takes time...

As far as the other matter goes... it's a tough and mean word out there... I come to this and other forums and go to the swap meets to meet new friends, learn and for peace !
                            Every ones situation is different...I have very little to show for my years of gathering parts and asking questions. I figure, at this point in my life, with work and a family , I have money to purchase parts but no time. Latter in life,(if things go according to plan) I'll have time but little money ! My two cents,

Best and thanks
                            Dan
                            Last edited by danf19; 03-13-2018, 05:55 PM.

Comment

I will never forget the time I bought a 46 Knuckle at an auction in Los Angeles over 20 years ago and I didn't have away to get it home. Mathew offered to bring it to my house in central Ca on the way back to Oregon, and that he did! Hope to see AMW at Dixon this year! I miss seeing Mike also, he would always make time to answer a question!
                              #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

I just received my part from AMW, I have to say that I was very impressed with the quality and fit of the parts I ordered. Thank you Matthew and Tom, looking forward to doing business again!
                                Todd

Comment

Working...
                                X