B-B Reproductions Saddlebags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-B Reproductions Saddlebags

I would like to inquire if anyone has bought and used the bags from B-B Reproductions that is advertised in the AMCA Mag? If so, can you please tell me your likes and dislikes of the bags. I would like to know how close they resemble orig, what if any are the differences, and in your opinion are they made to withstand usage and time. I am wanting to put original style saddlebags on a 62 FL restoration. This restoration is a rider not wanting it judged so 100% duplication is not a deal breaker, but I really want to know the quality and how well they mount up to original brackets.

I know NOS bags are still out there and the final decision will be up to me, but does anyone have an opinion on using (actually riding and using in the weather) new plastic bags as these B-B as compared to 50 year old NOS plastic bags. I have quite a few cracked lids and see alot at meets. If I get a set that has been in storage for 50 years, will they crack pretty quick when subjected to weather? I would think newer would hold up longer, experience? opinion? Thanks, all input is really appreciated. Bob#6738
    Bob Rice #6738

I have a set on my 47 fl custom and on my wifes 2007 softail deluxe. The ones on my 47 replaced an original set that I wore out. I only have about 10,000 miles on the set on the 47 because I dont ride that bike as much anymore and my wife has about 20,000 on hers. I load my bags heavey with spare parts, tools and clothes. As far as I am concerned these bags are every bit as good if not better than the original royalights. The ones on my 47 are mounted to original rigid frame brackets and fit perfectly. The ones on my wifes are on brackets supplied by B-B. I assume the bags would also fit good on the original duo glide brackets. The only negative I know of is that the lids are slightly narrower than originals and will not fit original lowers.

Bob

Comment

I looked at a set several years ago. They seemed a little thin to me, I didn't buy them. Perhaps newer models are improved?
      VPH-D

Comment

This got me thinking so out of curiosity I miked my original royalite and the thickness varied from .060" t0 .067" where I could measure. My 5 year old B-B repops were .110" in the same areas. The originals I believe are from a 54-56 OHV as there also is a matching buddy seat with them as shown on page 478 in Palmers. Also these are the royalite plastic bags and I believe I have seen a thicker more rigid plastic type of material used in later bubble bags.

Bob
        Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
        I looked at a set several years ago. They seemed a little thin to me, I didn't buy them. Perhaps newer models are improved?
        VPH-D

Comment

Bob, I have a set I have run on my 62 for 4 years now. Very satisfied, my original bags are near perfect, but run these because I ride the bike almost daily. Did not want to put more wear on them. They mounted up without any problems to the original hardware on bike. The construction compared to my originals could not be any closer. The only thing is the b&b bags are much whiter compared to originals, but that to be expected. They have yellowed with age. Bob, are you from brookville area ? If so you have seen my bike at walnecks.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replys, I think I will get a set next year. I want to ride and use the bike so these sound like they will work just fine for my purpose. Bob#6738
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by HENNIGAN62 View Post
              Bob, I have a set I have run on my 62 for 4 years now. Very satisfied, my original bags are near perfect, but run these because I ride the bike almost daily. Did not want to put more wear on them. They mounted up without any problems to the original hardware on bike. The construction compared to my originals could not be any closer. The only thing is the b&b bags are much whiter compared to originals, but that to be expected. They have yellowed with age. Bob, are you from brookville area ? If so you have seen my bike at walnecks.
              No, I'm closer to West Alexandria where you mentioned before about buying a bike from last year or so. Yes, I saw your nice looking '62 in the parking lot at a Walnecks meet in Springfield about maybe 2 summers ago. Bob#6738
              Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Bob, did you order the BB bags?....I am about to order a black set for my '58.

Comment

I agree with bobphd, I have purchased 2 sets from them, one for 06 softail and one for 58 pan, better than orignal

Comment

Originally posted by upsrod View Post
                    Bob, did you order the BB bags?....I am about to order a black set for my '58.
                    No not yet, I can't give you any insight on quality yet. I'm going to wait until next year. Maybe post on here your experience, so far it sounds like it should go smooth. Bob
                    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

I would like to follow up. I finally bought a set of bags from BBReproductions for my 62FL last week. I am VERY happy with the quality of the bags. I bought the birch white instead of the glacier white as offered on the website. http://bbreproductions.com/bags.htm. Yes, maybe more whiter than original birch but that is fine with me, I'm sure the weather will adjust their color. Checked thickness to orig bags, BB .075-.100, origs .060-.075. No mounting issues with bags. Richard at BB couldn't have been friendlier, says he wants 100% satisfaction and will work with any issues a customer may have. I ordered on a Mon and received Fri, very reasonable shipping charges.

My only negative would be the lack of reinforcement inside the shipping box. Packed very well, but of course UPS had to cave part of the box in, nothing damaged though. Its a shame, but we as packers now must adjust and over pack for the lack of responsibility of the carriers, but that's for another thread. Bags are GREAT IMO. Worth the money if you plan to use them, I'll try and report back after using them for a while, hopefully in 2015.
                      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

I bought a set around 5 years ago to put on my 2006 Superglide and later put them on my 1974 XLH. I found the quality to be excellent, the customer service even better, fine folks. I am a bike painter and have refinished the old bags,,,a horror show, plastic does not age well! These new ones are light years better in quality and i'd say an accurate reproduction, made here in the USA, PA. No down side to buying these from B&B,,yes they are bit pricey but i'd say good value for money,,,,,,i see someone who will go un-named (V something?) is repoping them overseas and offering them cheaper,,,,be smart,,,don't go there!
                        bob wark Ohio

Comment

Working...
                        X