No announcement yet.

International Title Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notorized statement of how bike was aquired and price if no bill of sale. Bill of sale certainly helps if you can get it notarized. I never paid more than 2500 for any old bike. ahem. They aren't really up on bikes as they are with cars. All the paperwork is availible online at NYDMV. Don't bother to go to local DMV other than to pay the tax and get a receipt. That you send to Albany with the other required paperwork. Getting the tax reciept will be the most difficult part as local DMV knows nothing and will give you a hard time guaranteed. You will need the statement to pay the tax. Keep a copy for yourself. The people in Albany are great to deal with after the hassle at the local DMV and easy to talk to. No waiting forever on hold. It is called the Special Plate division. Get historical ins. and historical plate and it will be easy as pie.
    Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 08-08-2012, 06:36 AM.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

D.A. Thanks for the info!

Comment

I heard that in Vermont all you have to do is call them up. They need the money and they're turning their heads. I just got one from Florida from a title company for 180.00. Broadway raised their prices thru the roof. I think to 5 or 600.00 now.
        AMCA #765

Comment

Ok i am some what confused.I have a halfway completed bike, what sould i do first try to get a title or finish it then apply for one?

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
            Ok i am some what confused.I have a halfway completed bike, what sould i do first try to get a title or finish it then apply for one?
            In Kentucky it is suppose to be a complete bike prior to sheriff inspection. If you know a Sheriff and he knows your not a crook he might let you slide with a mocked up bike aslong as all major parts are there. I did this in Colorado a few years back. Chance you take waiting is the rules may change before you get it done if you take as long as me to finish things:)

Comment

I just got a title on the WLA my kid just built (austins bobber build) notorized hand written bill of sale, sheriff inspection at my house free of charge. went to DMV and stood along wall and watched who was a bitc& and who was helpful and got in the helpful line. 5 minutes done. 2 weeks later title in mail. my wife tried day before and got in bitc& line and was turned around like she was a criminal. Chris Haynes is correct IT IS A COMPLETE BIKE, you didnt "build it" you painted it because it looked bad and you painted it the same color. Build, Swap Meet, custom, fabricated and at times restored are bad words to DMV folks.
              Last edited by knuckcrazy; 10-31-2012, 08:36 AM.

Comment

So it would help to know a sheriff i take it, which i do. Ok thanks i might try that.

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
                  So it would help to know a sheriff i take it, which i do. Ok thanks i might try that.
                  Only if bike is not complete and running, he might see there is a complete bike and fill out paperwork but it is still up to the nice lady at the DMV and where she sends paperwork to. Also you are in Ohio I am not I am just telling what my history has been.
                  Good luck!!

Comment

Good thread on this subject!
                    Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

When I need a title for any vehicle the service I use is myself. Go to DMV and have them run the number. If it comes back "Not on file" you have a free pass. Ask for an "Application for title". Do not ask for application for lost title. Fill it out. Bring the vehicle in for number verification. Pay some money than wait a couple weeks for the title to come in the mail. If the number is "Not on file" the only thing the DMV will know about the vehicle is what you tell them. NEVER TELL THEM THE VEHICLE WAS ASSEMBLED FROM PARTS. Tell them the vehicle has been on your family property for years. If an owners name turns up on the number search then your best bet is to run a Lien Sale. This way if the registered owner responds to the sale notice you can scare them away by telling them that they owe you $45.00 a day storage for the past number of years that you have been storing it. In some cases you may be referred to the Highway Patrol for number verification. Nothing to worry about here. Simply another step in the procedure.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

In N.Y. it is a "Transferable Registration". All you do is insure it as historical vehichle, download the proper forms from their website, take a picture of the vin and send it off to "Special Plates Division" in Albany. after paying the sales tax locally. They are vey nice there and even answer the phone. At worst you will get a Non-Transferable for a couple months and then Voila!! In the mail comes Transferable. When I had local police chief visually verify numbers on my four it came back transferable first shot. It is as good as a title in any state as they do not issue titles on pre 70s cars or bikes. The only thing you have to do locally is pay the sales tax on it. That will be the most difficult part as the local DMV people are real jerks. This must be done prior to mailing to Albany.
                        Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 11-04-2012, 01:29 PM.
                        D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I am in the same state as Bob and I have no trouble at all getting titles, of course it does help that the county Sheriff and I are good friends and my sister works for the DMV and cousin works for the State Police, Larry

Comment

try Geographic Services in Dallas TX. Clean Texas titles. He has done such bikes as Ghezzi Brian, Mondial, New Blue and recently did "Old Bill"

Comment

I believe their number is 214-727-0148

Comment

Working...
                              X