Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member Introduction

Hello,
    My name is Joel Kelley and I've been riding since the '70s. I joined the AMCA in 2017 and joined the local Chapter here in Denver, CO in 2020. My apologies for not attending many meetings - my work and family schedule these last few years has left little spare time.

My first bike was a Harley Z-90 (okay, it was Aermacchi) which my sister and I rode into the ground. I currently own a 1976 BMW R90/6 (140K miles +) and a 1932 Harley VL 74. The '32 is in pretty good shape but does have some things that need to be worked on - new tires, drive spring for the speedo drive and somehow replacing the windshield on the sidecar, haha. If anyone reads this and has any leads on purchasing one - or more likely suggestions on how to make one, I would be most appreciative.

My handle, tribeem, is the result of owning both the R90/6 and a 1978 Triumph T140E Bonneville for about 40 years. I recently sold the Triumph in order to put some time and money into the flathead - and perhaps purchase a bike that was built in this millenia!

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Welcome, Joel!

Your vintage of VL has been discussed recently, as to the carb configuration; Did you find it intact with a Schebler, or one of the first Linkerts?

Every bit of information helps, Thanks!...

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Welcome, you have a nice varied collection.
      AMCA #41287
      1972 Sportster project
      1971 Sprint SS350 project
      1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
      1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
      1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
      96" Evo Softail self built chopper
      2012 103" Road King "per diem"
      plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Welcome Aboard Joel,
        You have some beauties there ! I completely rebuilt a 1975 R90/6 for my father when he retired several decades ago, and he put over 100,000 miles on it before he quit riding. It ran like a fine watch, and he loved it dearly. He had not ridden on 2 wheels since 1948 when he went into the service. Your VL is really nice and I will put the feelers out for you on a windshield for your sidecar. You bring some great experience to the forum.
        Welcome, and enjoy !
        Member # 8964

Comment

Welcome Tribeam! Nice bikes!

Comment

Gentlemen,
            Thanks for welcome and comments.

Cotten - the bike came with a Linkert M31 carburetor installed but I think it may have had a Schebler DLX88 originally. My dad bought the bike in 1965 and it came with some spare parts. One of those parts is a Schebler DLX88. The Schebler float bowl inlet has been filled with solder and filed flat. I think the threads were stripped and someone was planning on drilling and tapping a new inlet - that is how that carb came to us. Makes me think that the Schebler was the original - I am not certain, however. I spoke with Mike at Linkertcarbs.com -who has had some float bowls manufactured. I hope to purchase one before he retires.

1939WL - thank you for your comments. Please surprise me with a contact who has one!

Comment

Originally posted by tribeem View Post
              Gentlemen,
              Thanks for welcome and comments.

Cotten - the bike came with a Linkert M31 carburetor installed but I think it may have had a Schebler DLX88 originally. My dad bought the bike in 1965 and it came with some spare parts. One of those parts is a Schebler DLX88. The Schebler float bowl inlet has been filled with solder and filed flat. I think the threads were stripped and someone was planning on drilling and tapping a new inlet - that is how that carb came to us. Makes me think that the Schebler was the original - I am not certain, however. I spoke with Mike at Linkertcarbs.com -who has had some float bowls manufactured. I hope to purchase one before he retires.

1939WL - thank you for your comments. Please surprise me with a contact who has one!
              Are you certain the ITW repop is a short potmetal bowl, Joel?

(Lower left,...)
              SCHBBWLS.jpg

Long bowls, lids, and floatvalves (upper right) are repopped..

....Cotten
              PS: I have Sammy Pierce NOS short bowl floatvalves...
              `
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-24-2024, 04:02 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

Nanu Nanu Tribeem. Cool rides you have there.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

Welcome! Great to have you and your motorcycle on board!
                  AMCA # 3233

Comment

Welcome to the site. Great bunch of folks here.
                    Pete Cole AMCA #14441
                    1947 Indian Chief

Comment

Hey Cotten - here are a couple of pics of my Schebler DLX88. Is that a short-nosed potmetal bowl?
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Certainly, J.K.!

Please feel free to open a new thread under 'Chief' (or whatever) as you get into it.

...Cotten
                        PS: Is that a muddauber nest where the floatvalve should be?
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Hi Cotten, The muddauber nest is where the float valve should be. Apparently the threads were stripped and someone started to fix it by filling in the hole with solder or other metal like material.

So - do I have a short nosed potmetal bowl? Or is it another type of Schebler bowl?

Joel

Comment

Originally posted by tribeem View Post
                            ... So - do I have a short nosed potmetal bowl? ...Joel
                            Certainly, Joel!

(affirmative)

...Cotten
                            PS: Its pretty difficult to stick common solders to ZAMAK.
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-01-2024, 01:50 PM.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                            X