Motorcycles are catching on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycles are catching on

Just read about how motorcycles were part of the prestegous Ville d'Este Concours in Italy for the first time this year. Also learned that RM Auctions, and Mecum are to feature bikes now. They are already part of the Pebble Beach Concours (featuring Italian bikes for thier 3rd year of recognizing us).
    Many of the previously "cars only" Concours functions are now recognizing our machines. Things are looking up!
    RF.

I don't see anything good about it Fred, just the death of a hobby I used to really enjoy. Soon you wont see any that are not well to do in this hobby at all and I think it's a sad thing!

Comment

I have to agree completely with Tom. It may be recognition, but I feel it is not the recognition that is conducive to the health of our hobby. We have already seen huge disparity in the price of machinery and the ability of most hobbyists to afford them. This will sadly only increase with an increase in the demand base and similar reduction of the supply base. Catering to the wealthy "collector" market will remove many machines from the public eye and drive away many young prospective hobbyists who are financially unable to participate.
      Looking up!, I think not!
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Fred, I get where your coming from on having motorcycles receive their due at the big high class events and it's exciting to see the photos of the machines on display but I have to agree with Tom and Robbie on this one. It's just another stepping stone to further distance the antique motorcycle from the common man.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

When the auctioneers are done hyping up a VW bus to over 30,000 I can imagine what a pan or knuckle put together parts bike with a re-stamp will go for. Unfortunatly this hobby has already gotten out of reach for young people to get involved and without them it will die off. The arguement that this will increase value on our machines is only valid if we sell. I believe that most people in this club are in it for the enjoyment of riding these machines, not selling for profit although there are some that are on the profit side and there is nothing wrong with that. I have no intention of selling any of my bikes so this won't affect me unless someone offers me a hundred grand for my junk panhead. Even then I probably wouldn't sell.
          D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I have observed the same "recognition" of motorcycles by the high end markets. I feel it is a wonderful thing for those wishing to sell nice classic motorcycles, but the opposite for those wishing to buy.
            Buzz Kanter
            Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
            [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
            [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

vw buses have sold at auction for 85,000 and is not the fault of the auctioneers,unless they are bidding.same with motorcycles.I recently helped sell 20 antique harleys and 1 4cyl indian .I told people in the club that there are some10000 plus club members and 100000 people that want an old harley. only 2 sold to club members the 2 most expensive!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Fred View Post
                Just read about how motorcycles were part of the prestegous Ville d'Este Concours in Italy for the first time this year. Also learned that RM Auctions, and Mecum are to feature bikes now. They are already part of the Pebble Beach Concours (featuring Italian bikes for thier 3rd year of recognizing us).
                RF.

I think RM is working with Bator now . . . .

Bob Turek
                # 769

Comment

Working...
                X