The Great Indian V Harley Race Yosemite 2011 Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Indian V Harley Race Yosemite 2011 Results

Last weekend, "The Great Indian V Harley Race" was held in Oakhurst California. And the results are in.
    The winner of the event was "Harley"!

The reviews of the event are coming in and it seems everyone had a great time.
    Here is a review from Red Fred:

Red Fred had this to say:

It was a true Class Act! About 50 Indians from all over met with about 25 HDs. There were guys from Eastern Canada, Mexico, West Virginia, Oregon, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, and Australia etc...... A great turn out, with some cool bikes & people that I haven't ever seen or met yet.
    The headquarters Hotel was awesome, but some opted to camp, or stay elsewhere, so we didn't really get to mingle & socialize all together in the parking lot (one of my favorite past times).
    The event was patterned after the Australian Great Race, which is run like a European timed, distance rally. Not really a race, but a contest on speed, navigation, discipline, and some riddles thrown in.
    For instance, the first days ride was too a destination of historic significance. We were set off from the Hotel parking lot at 3 minute intervals, and timed to our first check point (providing you even got there). That check point would then record your time taken to get there, and you got docked if you went too fast, or too slow! Then you were asked a riddle question for extra points.
    We arrived to the hotel late, and were the last to leave the Hotel. But there was already an HD casualty returned to the parking lot; a beautiful Knuck bobber with non-vented gas cap!!!!!!!!!!!! We had already missed the send off from the parking lot, so weren't even in the race for the first day, but we never had any intention of participating anyway. Soon we saw the usually cris-cross of lost bikes meeting from opposite directions! A tell-tale sign of having fun. 2nd casualty was a Scout which threw a chain, due to the back axle nut being loose. Not a good start for author Jerry Hatfield on a borrowed bike, from Bob Stark no less! My riding buddy and I soon we so lost, that we were off the map. We did manage to find a great Lodge, with a deck overlooking Bass Lake, and the Cris Craft boat event that was running there. All from the comfort of a shaded deck, big cold pints, and excellent food. Soon, other wayward souls wondered in, who were also hopelessly lost.
    The next days ride took us in the other direction, and into Yosemite. The check point stops contained riddle questions based on the first days ride. So we were losers on that one.
    I must mention the magic of the first night though. 3 tour buses were arranged to cart us some 8-10 miles to a steam train depot. There we had an excellent steak BBQ with all the trimmings. The food was better than a 5 star restaurant! Then we climbed aboard the old train, and chugged off into the mountains and forest, only to stop some miles later in the middle of no-where. A quick few steps found us in a clearing with a roaring bon-fire, and a stage with a band. We howled at the moon, until the old train took us back to the buses. A true class act.
    The roads & scenery were awesome, the organization, and food was second to none. We got real lucky with the weather, as on the last day (day of departure, after the Rally had finished), the place was covered in snow!
    I managed to lose part of my mustache & beard, and some vital top cover while trying to stomp out a burning Sportster. The bike survived, and was able to finish the run though. Of all the entrants, I would say only about 3 took the rally part seriously. Those 3 were duly rewarded, and so Harley takes the first Great Race Victory here in the States. The trophies were awesome!
    All in all, a great time, and a class act.
    RF.

Not to stir things up, but 50 Indian's couldn't beat 25 Harley's huuuummmm........
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Here are the official winners:
      3rd place - Indian - Leslie Foss
      3rd Place - Harley - Prospero Devillires
      2nd Place - Indian - Michael Breeding
      2nd Place - Harley - Rich Rau
      1st Place - Indian - Kevin May
      1st Place - Harley - Craig Taylor
      Grand Champion - John Von Karvaly - (Harley)

Overall Brand Winner Harley Davidson
      (The bragging rights winner was determined by the average score - so you could say the Harley riders had an advantage, less riders = higher average score if all the riders fully participated. Several of the Indian riders did not care about the points and brought the average score down)

Comment

This was a great time. Some of the best country for riding motorcycles there is. We are planning to be there again next year.
        I don't believe that Harley had an advantage over Indian by of having fewer enteries. It is all averaged out and with fewer enteries Harley still had the higest score of the event for a single rider and highest average. Unless you consider indian riders a more spaced out and unfocused group and the more of them you get in one place the worst they are.
        We will see what happens next year but for now us Harley riders have bragging rights. Indian LOST and we don't need to hear excuses that they had a disadvantage because they out numbered us.

Gary, thanks for all your hard work and as Red Fred said "It was a true class act"

Rich Rau

Comment

Originally posted by starklite View Post
          Overall Brand Winner Harley Davidson
          (The bragging rights winner was determined by the average score - so you could say the Harley riders had an advantage, less riders = higher average score if all the riders fully participated. Several of the Indian riders did not care about the points and brought the average score down)
          Ummm, I don't follow you on this. If you had more Indian riders, wouldn't there be more advantage to also score higher? So, all the Harley riders cared to score high, and some Indian riders didn't care? LOL

Comment

Yeppers, it truely was a class act. The rivalry was very much alive, but many entrants brought two bikes; yep, HD, and Indians!
            I only really saw 3 guys interested in the actual competition (the guys who won). The rest of us, were more like the majority of the gang at the Irish National Rally. Most of the guys there are just road racing, and pub hopping, while a distinct few have their roll charts, and stop watches. Me thinks the Pub Hoppers have more fun, and the Poindexters can have the trophies.
            I'm just back from helping prep 25 acres in anticipation for this years Indian Run in Northern California. It promises to be a howl! More great roads, and some ultra crazy field events. There will be no need for roll charts or stop watches on this one! AND, we're pretty much garanteed that an Indian will win!

Comment

Poindecksters

There you go again Fred. I don't know if I'd call John VonKarvaly and Craig Taylor poindecksters. Maybe if you'd read the map and didn't miss the first turn and headed to Bass Lake instead of going the right way, if there is such a thing, you'd have had a chance. Maybe you'll have better luck next year but before warned. The L.A. Chapter of which Craig is the President his hosting a National Road run out of Solvang butted up against the 2012 Indian/Harley event. I'm going next year and importing more H.D. poindeckster's from the east just to keep you iIdians in line. Stay tuned Bay Area boy. Rich from the Valley
              DrSprocket

Comment

Hey Rich,
                Craig is on the opposite end of Poindeckster. Just part of the HD/Indian ribbing.
                I don't think I'll ever stand a chance on a timed rally.
                RF.

Comment

Are there any photos of the US Great Race? Seeing that it started down here it would be good to see the US roll up. The Indians do win down here but they do tend to cheat a little.

Comment

Here is a link with some photos of the ride. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688746

Comment

Thanks Scott. Looks like great country to ride in. One day maybe I may be able to bring my V over.

Comment

Working...
                      X