Rhinebeck Grand National Meet - 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhinebeck Grand National Meet - 2011

I would like to hear about the Rhinebeck meet. I'm contemplating a trip to the meet this year and have read the information on their website and find it interesting, but would like some information from those who have been there. Comparisons to Oley, Eustis, Wauseon, or Davenport, might be helpful.

Wear some good walking shoes. The Meet is spread out and not as congested as Oley.

Comment

Bigger than Oley
      Met Billie Joel there shopping for Indian parts
      Fun Time
      W

Comment

Over 375 vending spots sold already.
        Paved walkways throughout area.
        Timeline of motorcycles with over 300 bikes from 1897 up to cut-off year.
        Over a dozen excellent food vendors.
        Sit down restaurant with full bar.
        Giant shade trees.
        Continuous Wall Of Death Show free upon entry.
        Jump Show new this year.
        Biker Billy cooking show.
        Entry FREE, IF you bring an antique bike for display OR you volunteer.
        Spotless rest rooms and showers.
        Antique machinery.
        Antique trucks.
        True vintage hot rods. No fiberglass or crate SBC.
        Vintage bobber and chopper show.
        Town of Rhinebeck is walking distance with movie theatre, restaurants, antique shops and more.
        Good restaurant with bar right across street from fairgrounds.
        Gas station with store right across street from fairgrounds.
        Supermarket 1/2 mile from fairgrounds. Liquor store just past supermarket on left. (Closes at 7pm. Don't ask how I know.)
        Plenty more.
        Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 05-18-2011, 02:33 PM.
        D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Talbot- great overview by D.A. All I can say is any AMCA meet you can attend is worth the travel and expenses. Each is different, some smaller, soome bigger, but all with great potential to find parts long looked for, all with great people, old bikes and a variety of local attractions for lasting memories. What more could an antique bike guy want after a hard week's work? Have fun at Rhinebeck if you go and if not, enjoy any of the other fine meets. Rhinebeck's timeline in itself is worth it. Our members work hard at all the meets to ensure enjoyable for all. I've been fortunate to attend all of the stateside meets over the years and always find some great stuff and enjoy. At Rhinebeck make sure you try the butcherboys sliced sirloin sandwich with all the toppings and a cold one (or two)!

Comment

Everything D.A. Bagin said and more.
            Went for first time last year and Rhinebeck has the best variety and quality of food of any fairground I've ever been to, very good washroom facilities (kept very clean), Good setting for the Saturday night dinner - excellent dinner, too. Good camping, even for us tent types. Paved access roads and lots of shaded sites. the volunteer staff were very friendly and helpful and getting in the timeline (we pre-registered) was a snap.
            Would be there this year again, even though it is 1,000 mile trip but a family event is the same week-end.
            There is an excellent, but small, Italian family restaurant about 1 mile north of the fairgrounds. Best to book ahead but it was well worth the wait.
            AFJ

Comment

Originally posted by parkerize View Post
              Talbot- great overview by D.A. All I can say is any AMCA meet you can attend is worth the travel and expenses. Each is different, some smaller, soome bigger, but all with great potential to find parts long looked for, all with great people, old bikes and a variety of local attractions for lasting memories. What more could an antique bike guy want after a hard week's work? Have fun at Rhinebeck if you go and if not, enjoy any of the other fine meets. Rhinebeck's timeline in itself is worth it. Our members work hard at all the meets to ensure enjoyable for all. I've been fortunate to attend all of the stateside meets over the years and always find some great stuff and enjoy. At Rhinebeck make sure you try the butcherboys sliced sirloin sandwich with all the toppings and a cold one (or two)!
              Sounds like Rhinebeck is a meet that I would really like to attend. I'm interested in the "Timeline" event and would like to hear more about it. Are the cycles required to be running and are they required to be ridden around the fairgrounds? Is the Timeline event only on Saturday or does it extend into Sunday as well? I've read the info on the Rhinebeck website but would like answers to some of the specifics. It's a 1000 mile trip one way for me too.

Comment

Timeline is Sat. and Sun. No requirement to run or to attend both days. Set-up for timeline is 7am. We can always use help pushing bikes as there is usually about 300 that we have to set up. Please pre-register online as it saves a tremendous amount of time and we can pre-print the plaques. If you go on the website and get into vending they have an overview of the meet. The Hudson Valley is also a beautiful area to ride. You may want to bring a bike of some sorts to ride around as the meet is quite large. If you need more info there is a # on the website for info.
                D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I would like to add to D.A. response: Bringing your bike to the timeline gains free access to the meet. Any and all older than 35 years are welcomed. Rusty or restored, they are all put up in chronological order and make for a fascinating walk and photo op. Don't be shy.

The bikes are put inside for the night, or you can take control to your spot, then return. very flexible.

You can preregister, and get a real nice display plaque you keep, and can put in Sat, Sun, or both! Preregistration really helps a lot as there are over 300 bikes and a lot of work to arrange them and move them into the line. You can preregister at www.rhinebecknationalmeet.com
                  Dan Margolien
                  Yankee Chapter National Meet July 31/August 1 2020 at the TERRYVILLE Fairgounds, Terryville CT.
                  Www.yankeechapter.org
                  Pocketvalve@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
                    Timeline is Sat. and Sun. No requirement to run or to attend both days. Set-up for timeline is 7am. We can always use help pushing bikes as there is usually about 300 that we have to set up. Please pre-register online as it saves a tremendous amount of time and we can pre-print the plaques. If you go on the website and get into vending they have an overview of the meet. The Hudson Valley is also a beautiful area to ride. You may want to bring a bike of some sorts to ride around as the meet is quite large. If you need more info there is a # on the website for info.
                    If one has a cycle in the time line can the cycle still be able to receive the AMCA "Century Award" ? Can cycles be left in the inside staging area on Friday?

Comment

Rhinebeck

Just a side note. I was there for the first and second meets. Just to the north in the town of Redhook, just through the main light in town (maybe the only light), look to your right. There is the baddest diner you'll ever lift a fork in. Been there since the late 20's I believe. Home cooking and great prices. Don't forget the aerodrome half way from the diner and the meet just to the east a mile or so. Way cool. Us boys on the left coast love it back there. Just over the river to the west is some of the best roads to ride I ever rode. Enjoy!
                      DrSprocket

Comment

Talbot, I don't see any issue with getting the Century award whether you are in the timeline or not. You may want to check with Don Spence who is handling the judging. Yes you can put your bike into the set-up area on Thurs if you are vending or Friday if you are not.. The building is locked down at about 6-7pm. And Dr. Sprocket, yes that diner is fantastic. I believe it is the oldest in N.Y. Now the secret is out.
                        Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 06-04-2011, 03:46 PM.

Comment

After discussion with the chapter judges, bikes in the timeline will have to be moved to the judging area in front of the buildings to be judged Sunday morning. A very short distance. With the amount of bikes to be displayed in the timeline we don't want to miss any for judgeing.

Comment

Working...
                          X