Latest HOG Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest HOG Magazine

My HOG magazine arrived yesterday with a knucklehead on the cover and it features three stories about antique HD's. First is a short one about Della Crew and her trip from Waco, TX to NY city with her dog in the sidecar in 1914. Another story describes three days of riding in the Dakotas on 12 bikes ranging from a '36 El to a '69 Electra Glide supplied by Carl and Matt Olson. That story ends with a history of the knucklehead. Another article tells the story of Jack Newkirk on his 1932 VL retracing his father's journey visiting NY city and San Francisco in 1939 on a 1930 VL.
    Rod Hansen, Jr.

Yes I read that Rod, It should shine a bit of light on the old stuff especially the article on the Olson's and loaning their bikes out to the "button bike generation"
    Chuck
    AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Do you have to be a HOG member to get the HOG magazine ? Also, is it true that in the old days, you only had to own a Harley Davidson to receive the Enthusiast ?
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Any chance you can scan and post here for all who don't get the HOG mag?

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
          Do you have to be a HOG member to get the HOG magazine ? Also, is it true that in the old days, you only had to own a Harley Davidson to receive the Enthusiast ?
          Anybody who requested The Enthusiast go it whether they owned a Harley or not. Leave it to the scatter brained newbies working at the MoCo to drop The Enthusiast. After all, it was only the worlds oldest continuously running motorcycle publication. A decade ago there was a motorcycle magazine published in England named HOG. It didn't survive very long.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

The article by the gentleman who rode his VL across country was magnificent. His photos were out of this world.

The sad part... is that Kodak dropped both Tri-X and Kodachrome from the catalog... and it's no longer available. Even though I shoot digital now... I still remember the days of developing my own Tri-X and printing in the high-school dark room. And while digital pix are cool... there is nothing like a negative sometimes. Anyway, I was blown away by the article and the photos.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

And agree with Chris Haynes... dropping the Enthusiast Name is one of the dumbest, most out-of-touch thing I have seen HDMC do. How can a company so savvy with its marketing have done something so stupid.

Oh well.

Cheers,

Sirhr.

Comment

Originally posted by sirhrmechanic View Post
                The article by the gentleman who rode his VL across country was magnificent. His photos were out of this world.

The sad part... is that Kodak dropped both Tri-X and Kodachrome from the catalog... and it's no longer available. Even though I shoot digital now... I still remember the days of developing my own Tri-X and printing in the high-school dark room. And while digital pix are cool... there is nothing like a negative sometimes. Anyway, I was blown away by the article and the photos.

Cheers,

Sirhr
                Hello Sirhr,

I haven't seen the article, but John Newkirk wrote a book about his father's 1939 trek, and his retracing of it. [U]The Old Man and the Harley[U], a very good read.

Take care,

Steve Bryson

Comment

Originally posted by HD48FL View Post
                  Any chance you can scan and post here for all who don't get the HOG mag?
                  unless some one beats me to it I will scan and post t the articles.
                  Chuck
                  AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
                    unless some one beats me to it I will scan and post t the articles.
                    Chuck: Can you scan and post?

Comment

olson article

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg
                      Chuck
                      AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Way to go Carl and Matt. These 2 guys have done a lot to promote antique motorcycling
                        and you couldn't ask for better down to earth people. I stopped at their place on the way
                        to Sturgis years ago and was treated very very well. Kudos to both of them.

Comment

Thanks Chuck!!!
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]6681[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6682[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6683[/ATTACH]
                            Thanks so much Chuck. If you have time to scan any of the other articles that would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by HD48FL View Post
                              Thanks so much Chuck. If you have time to scan any of the other articles that would be great.
                              HD48FL Your inbox is full. I tried to reply. Housecleaning time.
                              Regards Steve
                              Last edited by Steve Little; 07-15-2012, 01:45 AM.
                              Steve Little
                              Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
                              Australia.
                              AMCA member 1950

Comment

Working...
                              X