Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thought you guys might enjoy, for its 100th birthday it gets to hang out in the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thought you guys might enjoy, for its 100th birthday it gets to hang out in the house

Heres a pic of my 11 twin I thought you guys might enjoy. Still has the original patent decal and dealers decal which I took some shots of. See you all at oley. Anthony.
    Attached Files

That's great...thanks for sharing.

Comment

She's awesome! What's the disc on the front hub?
      Thanks for sharing
      RF.

Comment

not sure red fred, i think it may be something decorative (?) as it was on there when i bought bike. Its cruddy but appears to have some cad plating showing underneath it, could even be old chrome, hard to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by parkerize View Post
          not sure red fred, i think it may be something decorative (?) as it was on there when i bought bike. Its cruddy but appears to have some cad plating showing underneath it, could even be old chrome, hard to tell.
          Does the disc on the front hub have channel in it that could hold a belt about the size of a large shoe string? What are the dimensions of the disc? Do you have a close up of the disc? I can tell you what it is with a few more answers to be sure.

Comment

That's a dandy machine alright!!! Thanks for the pics!!!
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

The disk is for an old speedo or odometer.

Comment

Originally posted by talbot-2 View Post
                Does the disc on the front hub have channel in it that could hold a belt about the size of a large shoe string? What are the dimensions of the disc? Do you have a close up of the disc? I can tell you what it is with a few more answers to be sure.
                What you have appears to be a sprocket pulley type disc for a vintage 1911-1912 speedometer. The attached photo is a photo of a circa 1912 "Stewart Clark" made in Chicago, IL, speedometer, model 42, that came on my original paint 1912 H-D model X8 from the original owner. The speedometer is run by a wire spring type belt that is attached to the pulley disc on one end and to a mechanism mounted on the down fork which transfers the speed via a 3/4 inch speedometer cable to the speedometer mounted on the handlebars. The pulley disc is 5 5/8 inches in diameter and 3/8 inches thick at the outside edge with a 2 1/2 inch hole in the center of the pulley disc. It is mounted on the wheel with three 1/2 inch square clamps that clamp the spokes. The clamps are held on with three 3/8 inch bolts with nuts.

The "Stewart Clark Speedometer Company" is believed to have been started circa 1908. The company purchased the Warner Company in 1912 and subsequently changed their name to Stewart-Warner after that.

I saw three (3) original 1913-1914 Stewart-Warner Speedometer brochures on eBay last week that were for a model D-4 speedometer that is driven from the rear chain gear type sprocket or by a front wheel gear type sprocket. The model D-4 appears to be a direct gear drive instead of a pulley design. The speedometers shown in the brochures were mounted on 1913-1914 motorcycles. Check eBay sold items # 120715419541, 120715417256, and 120715414995.

speedo1.jpg
                Last edited by talbot-2; 05-06-2011, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Neato!
                  This drive pulley sure seems to be the same size as on the Indian. Thanks for all the input. I have an Indian Speedo dated 1916, but it is driven from the rear chain sprocket. I'll check my '10ish accesory cataloge for other versions of these high end accesories.
                  Great Stuff!
                  Thanks, RF.

Comment

Hey thanks guys and sorry later reply, I couldn't log on because it said membership expired and now all the sudden i could log on. weird. Thanks Talbot for the detailed message, yes it has the square blocks holding it to the spokes and the recessed channel in what i now know is a pulley disk. Learn something new every day which is what makes our hobby great and interesting. Thanks for the feedback. Take care.

Comment

Working...
                    X