Story number 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Story number 5

Sitting under the big firs with the usual suspects this past summer. A friend was talking up a storm of past bizzar events. His good buddy leaned over to me and said, "Paul, you'll like story number 34 -it's coming up after this one."

This funny wise crack, to which we can all relate, got me thinking. Do I have any stories that people would be interested in hearing? Reading the Yerba Buena Chapter newsletter brought this story to mind.

Many years back in a major east coast city I was asked to come over and give a hand with the hopeful one day conversion of a pickup into a hardtop convertible. So, with some interest -I agreed to participate.

After getting off the highway on this beautiful spring morning. I waited for the light to change as the morning sun warmed my black leathers in the crisp cool air. The bike is running great! Life is good! I feel great! And now first off the line I start to cross the quarter mile bridge connecting two congested inner city neighborhoods. I crack it on a bit to enjoy this beautiful spring day and a clear open stretch of four lane bridge road in front of me.

As I reached the opposite side. I see a police officer with his arm extended and his hand up. Being a friendly guy on a beautiful piece of antique iron- naturally I waved back at him, as I passed by.

Just making the light on the other side I got stuck in bumper to bumper morning traffic again. I split the lane and zipped down the curb lane to the light. At this point it dawns on me, that possibly the officer was in fact, trying to signal me to pull over! I wasn't going that fast? Oh man- OH MAN! I'm in big trouble now. I looked back and couldn't see anyone in hot pursuit so I continued east on down a southern parallel alley as traffic is much lighter. After three blocks I jump back into the flow as I soon will have to turn north. Still no wild police chase anywhere to be seen. Nervous and worried I look up to see a cruiser approaching from the opposite direction a half block off in dense traffic. At the same time I notice a 5-ton getting ready to unload on my right. The gate is up so a hole exists. I duck in -kill the engine and roll up the side walk curb ramp. Now rolling parallel with the truck trailer I glide up to a large pile of garbage bags at the front of the truck on the sidewalk. Side stand down -parked beside the truck cab I grab a bag and slam it down on the tank. Crouching behind the bike and the bag -I watch as the cruiser rolls by in the reflection of store front windows. Maybe he's looking for me - maybe not. But I don't wanna find out.

This is not a good morning start I thought to myself. Not good at all! I push the bike along the sidewalk and into the next intersection. Start her up and crossing north to make it the final four blocks to my buddies house. I go slow and If they catch me - they catch me, I think to myself. I'm guilty! God truly watches over fools. Boy that was stupid! Upon arrival my buddy feels that maybe we should put the bike in the backyard for the day with the others. I agree, hoping it will all blow over - and we get to work.

4:30pm I return home and my girlfriend informs me that the police have requested that I take time out of my busy day to go down and see them -to explain my actions. I believe a warrant was to be issued at the end of the day or something. An added incentive to make an appearance.

Entering traffic central and asking for officer whomever. My presence was immediately shouted around the floor. "Hey! The guy on the bike that waved hello to you this morning is here to see you." He should have used the PA system it would have been easier I thought. This is not good, as officer after office streamed out to take a look at public enemy number one. Apparently a large number of additional officers were trying to locate me that morning.

Red faced and deeply embarrassed at my own stupidity I apologized perfusely to the officer. Explaining that I'm used to seeing some sort of hand movement as an indication to pull over. In the end he leaned over the table and shook my hand laughing. He said he was just as shocked that I simply waved at him. A first in his book. I paid a small speeding fine and was set free on my own stupidity.

Story number 5.
    Merry Christmas- Happy New Year.
    Paul Edwards-

Relating to Story #5

Good one, Paul. I can relate. I believe I am still a wanted man in a Miami suburb where I did the same thing. I never wear that same jacket in that area of town, and my heart beats faster when I see a police car in the vicinity.

Roy

Comment

A Bizarre event that I still cannot explain,..

This did not include the Authorities (thankgawd) but still,..

I'm twenty-five miles plus from home on a weekend campaign, and my estranged wife was supposed to drop off my child after her weekend visitation in fortyfive minutes. I'm at a gas station filling up, and I hear this hissing sound.

Stoopid me,.. I pull a piece of glass from the rear tire of my panhead. The hissing gets louder.

Without alternatives, I head home at breakneck speed, figureing on getting air halfway at the small town in between.
      That station was closed on Sunday, and I blew by at 80MPH, wondering when I would go into a wobble.

But I had to get home fast. Since momma was a certified skitsy, and I was already battling for custody rights,.. I poured on the gas. My ol' Police Special topped out all 86 inches of her S&S kit. It was a suicidal thing to do, but the stakes were high.

The wobble never came, and less than a half-hour later I rolled to my door, and the tire was still hissing, but takes a stiff kick to prove its no where near flat.

I unlock the door, and turn around to a pancake that I cannot even push to the garage.

That used up all of my luck for the next seven years, or more.

Comment

Working...
      X