2-stroke question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-stroke question

The Schickel Motorcycle, introduced in 1911, was America’s first two-stroke motorcycle. It used the oil-gas mixture of lubrication that has been the 2-stroke standard for years.

Does anyone know if the oil-gas mixture was used in any foreign bikes prior to 1911? I know that Scott and other European bikes had a two-stroke engine but have no information about their lubricating systems. Thanks!

There were a number of early American 2-strokes. One was produced by the Duck motorcycle company
    in Oakland, Calif. as early as 1903.

Bob Turek

Comment

Originally posted by Schickelguy View Post
      The Schickel Motorcycle, introduced in 1911, was America’s first two-stroke motorcycle. It used the oil-gas mixture of lubrication that has been the 2-stroke standard for years.

Does anyone know if the oil-gas mixture was used in any foreign bikes prior to 1911? I know that Scott and other European bikes had a two-stroke engine but have no information about their lubricating systems. Thanks!
      As early as 1903 the British Velocette firm used a suction system from a crankcase supply of oil which was bled into the engine by way of a 3 position valve which could give "Off", "Slow", or "Fast" amounts of oil. The Scott, first produced in 1908, used drip feed to the twin crankcases with a hand pump and sight glass at first and then a double pump driven off the engine with two drip-feed quills, one for each cylinder. The Levis, beginning in 1911, had a drilled crankshaft and oil feed line which provided oil to the two main bearings and the big end bearing while a second oil feed went to the cylinder wall and wrist pin. Initially the Levis used a sight glass and hand pump but soon went to an engine driven Pilgrim pump with adjustable quill feed to the whole lower bearing system of the engine. When oil-in-the-gas (called "petroil") system was used it was usual to give a 1 part oil to 12 parts gasoline ratio in the early days. By the 1930s, the ratio was more usually 1 part oil to 16 parts petrol which is what americans were being advised to use in the 1914-18 period. By the 1920s only the cheapest British Villiers engines seemed to use "petroil", most were available with some sort of automatic crankcase pressure system of oil delivery to the engine bearings.

AFJ

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyt View Post
        There were a number of early American 2-strokes. One was produced by the Duck motorcycle company
        in Oakland, Calif. as early as 1903.

Bob Turek
        I had a long conversation with Harry Sucher about the Duck. Mr. Duck ran a bicycle business. He made parts and accessories for bicycles. He said as far as he knew Duck made engines and hubs to add to bicycle frames. They sold completed units as motorcycles but were really just a bicycle with a motor. I have never seen a Duck and would love to if anyone has a photo.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Duck

I believe I've seen a Duck on display at the Glenn Curtiss museum in Hammondsport, NY. It was a strange duck indeed. Pun intended.
          DrSprocket

Comment

Here's some info on the Duck -- http://www.autohistory.org/feature_10.html

Bob Turek

Comment

Working...
            X