Site of Last indian Factory and Indian Museum Demolished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site of Last indian Factory and Indian Museum Demolished

I was on I-291 passing the site of the last factory buildings where Indian Day and Charlie and Ester Manthos' Indian Museum was on the Chickopee/Springfield line this weekend. Noticed that most of the area has been razed. The museum has been closed now for a few years. These buildings apparently the last factory post 1950 as I remember Charlie telling me once years ago but I don't know for sure.

Steve

That's how I understood it also Steve. The site was also used for Roll Royce assembley. I hope it still exists?
    RF.

Comment

As far as I know, the Rolls-Royce building is still there. But I knew the Titeflex Hose company was trying to sell it. I have an inquiry out to find status.

For anyone who hasn't been to the new Springfield Museum of Science and Industry (now home to the Smith and Wesson museum, the Rolls-Royce collection, and the Indian Museum... it is fantastic. Did I mention Dr. Suess museum is attached? I will covet an Indian Bike, I will own a Harley Trike, I will Ride a Ducati Rocket, They will cost everything in my pocket! Yes I am Sam I am, now let's fit a hotter cam...

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

So is the Indian factory at 12 Mercer St., Toronto, Ontario, Canada now the only surviving building in which Indian motorcycles were made?

AFJ

Comment

The State St WigWam should still be standing as the Indian Motocycle Apartments I hope? When I was there in the late 80s on a brick stealing mission, they were in the middle of the conversion. The "tip" of the arrowhead was already missing by then.
          RF.

Comment

It's sad to hear of history washing away. AFJ have you laid your eyes on the Toronto factory?
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
              It's sad to hear of history washing away. AFJ have you laid your eyes on the Toronto factory?
              AJF, If you could take a photo of it and post it here if not to much trouble you never know when it may go the way of the wrecking ball

I still see small articles from time to time about the Emblem factory in Angola New York all but falling down the village of Angola has talked for a while of tearing it down luckly they can't afford it.
              Chuck
              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Yes, I have seen the Mercer St., Toronto, Indian factory and had a tour through the upper floors some years ago. The original freight elevator was still there and in operation. I figured the elevator would have only held 2 or 3 PowerPlus Indians at one time. Shipping had been to a narrow lane at the rear of the building. At the time the original windows were being replaced with modern ones, but otherwise, the building is much the same as it was in the 1912-1923 period when Indian used it. Currently the basement and ground floor are a UPS depot, the upper floors are various offices.

I have a number of inside and outside pictures but the best way to look at it is to go to Google Maps, search for 12 Mercer St. Toronto, Ontario, Canada and then go to the Street view option. The #12 is over the ground floor main entrance (which originally led to the Indian offices on the ground floor), the building is on the north side of the street. The view around their to-day showed a large number of motorcycles parked on the south side of the street. (Toronto has free motorcycle parking on downtown streets where metered car parking is permitted. #12 Mercer stands by itself with open lots #10 to #2 a car park and #14 a open lot for the UPS vehicles.

AFJ

Comment

Part of the old State St. factory still exists as condos and I believe another section "to be developed." Fred, the area around the old museum is definitely being wrecked. Did not have time to stop and check more closely to the extent. Wonder what has happened to the museum contents? It was full of priceless stuff.

Comment

Indian museum was moved to the new Springfield Museum of Science and the Connecticut Valley Historical Museum. It opened, officially, last fall. It is fantastic!

http://www.springfieldmuseums.org/the_museums/

(And the curator isn't always yelling: "Now you aren't taking pictures back there...NO pictures..." at visitors.)

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
                      AJF, If you could take a photo of it and post it here if not to much trouble you never know when it may go the way of the wrecking ball

I still see small articles from time to time about the Emblem factory in Angola New York all but falling down the village of Angola has talked for a while of tearing it down luckly they can't afford it.
                      So have you got pictures of that one Chuck?
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by AFJ View Post
                        Yes, I have seen the Mercer St., Toronto, Indian factory and had a tour through the upper floors some years ago. The original freight elevator was still there and in operation. I figured the elevator would have only held 2 or 3 PowerPlus Indians at one time. Shipping had been to a narrow lane at the rear of the building. At the time the original windows were being replaced with modern ones, but otherwise, the building is much the same as it was in the 1912-1923 period when Indian used it. Currently the basement and ground floor are a UPS depot, the upper floors are various offices.

I have a number of inside and outside pictures but the best way to look at it is to go to Google Maps, search for 12 Mercer St. Toronto, Ontario, Canada and then go to the Street view option. The #12 is over the ground floor main entrance (which originally led to the Indian offices on the ground floor), the building is on the north side of the street. The view around their to-day showed a large number of motorcycles parked on the south side of the street. (Toronto has free motorcycle parking on downtown streets where metered car parking is permitted. #12 Mercer stands by itself with open lots #10 to #2 a car park and #14 a open lot for the UPS vehicles.

AFJ
                        Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to check that Google Maps thing out. I was really close to Toronto last summer but didn't get into the city itself. I was kicking my butt on the way home.
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

So have you got pictures of that one Chuck?
                          Yes I do Cory I posted them here a few years back I still have them but would have to dig through my picture stuff
                          Chuck
                          AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
                            Yes I do Cory I posted them here a few years back I still have them but would have to dig through my picture stuff
                            O.K. now that you mention I do recall you posting the pics.... I'll have to do some searching and find them. Don't worry about digging them out again if they are here.
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to check that Google Maps thing out. I was really close to Toronto last summer but didn't get into the city itself. I was kicking my butt on the way home.
                              Geez why didn't I think of that.............
                              Chuck
                              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Working...
                              X