Opposed Piston Opposed Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opposed Piston Opposed Cylinder

I found this interesting http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/O...posed-Cylinder

Originally posted by rousseau View Post
    Several years ago I was visiting a power plant that was removing its old diesel engine/generators (being replaced with v-16's). One of the engines had an upper and lower crankshaft, both pistons coming together in the combustion chamber. They were 4-stroke, huge 15" dia pistons, slow rpm. But these guys are a little more clever. ..... Wonder how emissions will show, these being 2-stroke.

Comment

If it's not a flathead, I don't think it will catch on. All these OHV versions on engines just seem to be a fad.
      Flat is where it's at!
      RF.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Mast View Post
        Several years ago I was visiting a power plant that was removing its old diesel engine/generators (being replaced with v-16's). One of the engines had an upper and lower crankshaft, both pistons coming together in the combustion chamber. They were 4-stroke, huge 15" dia pistons, slow rpm. But these guys are a little more clever. ..... Wonder how emissions will show, these being 2-stroke.
        Sounds like the old Fairbanks-Morse engines, used in locomotives, submarines, etc., even saw one in the bow of the Hornet, powered the emergency generator far away from the main powerplants. There used to be an outfit here in town that rebuilt them, you'd see them sitting all over their yard

Comment

Its not a new idea just a variation on the initial design that first appeared in 1914.
          Commer TS3 trucks of the 50's and 60's used a supercharged version that was affectionately known as the "knocker" Commer.
          The Commer was very noisey and if you google "knocker Commer" I'm sure you'll find something.
          Here's an article on the 1914 one
          Attached Files
          Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
          A.M.C.A. # 2777
          Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Working...
          X