Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member introduction...Hello

Hello to all,
    I am new to the forum and would like to introduce myself. My name is Patrice (42, male) and reside in Austin TX. I have been involved with restoring Indians since I about 1977 and spent most of my life in Seattle WA. My involvement in this wonderful hobby has come and gone over the years. I got out of it while I was in college, and for a period when I rode Italian bikes. I have owned a couple of Sport Scouts, a hillclimber, 101 scout, 1915 Twin, and a 31 Harley VL. Those bikes are long-gone, and now I ride a 1960 Duo-Glide and a 1924 Chief.

I was lucky enough to meet my new wife about 2 years ago, and she encouraged me to find another Indian because she new how happy it made me to restore a bike. I came across a 1953 Chief (motor and frame #CS61082) at the local Harley chopper shop. It was a basket case comprised of a complete motor and tranny, frame, forks, wheels, rear shocks, and odd bits. It did not have a speedo, instraments, lights, levers, linkages, or fenders. It included a sidecar chassis, that I sold on ebay.

The first thing I noticed, was how much prices for Indians and parts have increased in the last 10 years! The 1953 was not cheap! But, what made it desirable to me was that it is truly a 1953. I don't think I would have paid the price if it was a 1940s chief, although I like the 48 chiefs a lot. My twin brother has a 48.

I know that restoring a basket case is more expensive in the long-run then purchasing a restored bike. But it is the entire restoration process that I love to do. Plus, you have the satisfaction of building just how you like. In the end, the most exciting moment is starting your newly restored bike for the very first time. Knowing that you did all the painstaking work yourself to breath new life into a piece of rolling history, is the best feeling!

I hope to share my experience doing the 53 Chief on this forum, and perhaps other members can help me with my questions. Attached is a pic of my 53.
    Cheers, Patrice.
    Attached Files

Nice Bike

Patrice:

Welcome to the AMCA forum. We share some roots as I am a native Texan (Corpus Christi) who used to live in the Seattle area (Fort Lewis). I now live in Miami.

Your bike looks great. I know nada about Indians, but so many of our members like you are into them, I am looking forward to learning about them. After being a Harley (touring) rider for years (and into Hondas before that, back in the Sixties and Seventies), my wife says I am entering into my "British Period."

Roy Wasson, the Nightrider

Comment

Hello Roy

Hi Roy, thanks for your reply. I too have gone through periods of riding different motorcycles. I was totally into Moto Guzzis, Ducatis and Moto Morinis for a few years. Later I got my first real Harley. It started life as a running bike, but it was a mix of parts from different years (1967 tanks, and so on). I gradually restored it by doing one component at a time. One year I did the wheels, next year I painted the sheetmetal. This way I could continue to ride the bike in-between fixing it up. Finally, the only thing left to do was paint the frame and spruce up the motor. Eventually the whole bike was restored.

I took the Duo-glide on a weeklong camping trip with my brother on his 48 chief. We went all across Washington State and into Montana. We camped along the way at national parks, and had a blast. Other than a minor roadside carb repair on the Chief, the bikes did great!

My wife, Sarah, is interested in learning how to ride. We are thinking of starting with an MSF course at the Harley dealer. If she likes it, then we will consider what kind of bike to get her. Eventually, I would like to see her riding the Duo-glide while I ride the 53 chief.
      Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Working...
      X