Amca in hog magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amca in hog magazine

I received the HOG Magazine yesterday. It has a nice article on Matt Olsen. It mentions his role as youth coordinator for the AMCA and the WLA Bobber contest. Also Matt talks about the joys of belonging to the AMCA -- the members and the events. Another article about the Cannonball Run fearures lots of pictures, including AMCA members Bill, Cassidy & Willa Rodencal, Katrin Bodhner, Dave Fusiak, Joe Gardella and Dave Kleptz.
    Rod Hansen, Jr.

I thought I saw a pic of AMCA poster child Stanley Miller also?
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Leave it to the new kids at H-D to dump the The Enthusiast, which was the longest published motorcycle magazine ever, and start this HOG magazine. I am disgusted.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Ya, I agree Chris. Let's stop printing the longest running MC mag ever and change it to something the yuppie puppy chromasexuals will like. Good job motor company........
        Louie
        FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
        Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
        YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I had been getting The Enthusiast since 1988. Not long compared to some... but that and Autoweek have been in my mailbox continuously since college. The Enthusiast underwent several design changes that 'kept up with the times' as far as layout, content and readership. But why they ever changed the name... was just beyond me. I was floored when they dropped the name.

Harley is a company that has so much invested in its heritage and past designs... and really seems to 'get it' when it comes to their history. Yet some clamhammer dropped a name that had been around almost 100 years! Unfathomable. Maybe they will bring the name back, but with the gap I think they lose the position of longest-running magazine.

Cheers,

Pierce

Comment

and really seems to 'get it' when it comes to their history.
            Really?? You're kidding right! They are so far off base as to be ridiculous on most aspects of their history! They just make most of it up!
            IMHO
            Robbie
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
              I am disgusted.
              Hey Chris!

Stop taking the new MOCO personally.
              Let it go,.. and get into your Indian!

...Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Well... my perspective is that they have returned to the past over the years for designs and for their iconic name.... and they make the most of the heritage they have earned.

Yes, their current marketing efforts are intended to appeal to a market they can sell to in 'modern' times. But even when I bought my first Harley... a 'vintage' (even at the time) XLCH Sportster in 1988... it was after reading their 'official' history book and appreciating a marque that has been around almost since the dawn of the internal combustion engine.

Are they perfect? No!!!! I couldn't stand the way they treated long-time dealers when it came to building boutique stores. I hated it when they brought out "Harley Cologne" and other collectible crap aimed at a demographic that, well, wasn't me. And I think their promotion of the 'biker' image is just silly. Dentists dressed up as Sonny Barger are... dentists. I consider myself a Motorcycle Enthusiast, not a biker.

But I do appreciate the fact that they have maintained a continuity of their design philosophy and that they play off their past. And I proudly own and ride a couple of 'modern' EVO bikes. Even though I found my niche in vintage machines, I love the fact that there are still 'new bike owners' who ride the same machines and enjoy seeing the old stuff coming out. And some of them drink the vintage Kool-Aid and end up as old bike enthusiasts themselves.

And one thing that we can't help but admire is HD's resiliance. Through recession, depression, AMF, Japan and Brit Bikes, wars, trends, quality issues, etc, etc, etc... , they have adapted and kept producing great machines and stayed financially viable. And they are still maintaining their iconic status among their enthusiasts.

I haven't been to the HD museum yet... but am looking forward to it. How many other manufacturers of, say, anything... go to that length to preserve their heritage? Only a few...

Anyway... I'll just quote from one of my favorite movies: The Man who Shot Liberty Valance: "No, sir. This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend. "

In that, HD is following director John Ford's advice... And I am absolutely in accord that the historians among us should ensure that the facts are preserved and are preserved correctly. But I can't blame the company for selling bikes and maintaining its financial viability by "Printing the Legend."

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Originally posted by sirhrmechanic View Post
                  I haven't been to the HD museum yet... but am looking forward to it. How many other manufacturers of, say, anything... go to that length to preserve their heritage? Only a few...

Cheers,

Sirhr
                  What gets me is they have antique motorcycles displayed in a modern steel and concrete setting. The way bikes are displayed at WTT is much better.
                  Be sure to visit;

Comment

The Motor Co. must have some sort of appreciation for the companies history if they dumped the big money to erect a museum. I do wish they would revisit the earliest of days and correct the misconceptions that have become truth to most "Harley" people. I'm going to get to that museum one of these days but I do believe I look forward to seeing Wheels Through Time more.
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                      The Motor Co. must have some sort of appreciation for the companies history if they dumped the big money to erect a museum. I do wish they would revisit the earliest of days and correct the misconceptions that have become truth to most "Harley" people. I'm going to get to that museum one of these days but I do believe I look forward to seeing Wheels Through Time more.
                      Cory!

Another way to look at it is that over the years, the MOCO probably did more to actually promote nostalgic motorcycling through their advertizing budget.

...Cotten
                      AMCA #776
                      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

C.O.,
                        One thing you will notice at WTT is a lot of rubber on the floor. I am sure Dale will be happy to show you how it got there. Unlike the H-D Museum everything in Dale's collection runs.
                        Be sure to visit;

Comment

Having recently made a trip to the harley museum, and frequently visiting WTT (I live only an hour away). It's silly to try and compare the two. Both are "must see" IMO. The H-D muesum is not just a collection of motorcycles, Its just as much about the "company".
                          Two things I found odd. Of the hundreds of bikes on display, only one FXR model ,and it was part of the Police display. Most disturbing was the famous #1, They have eguipped it with "Coker" tires.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                            Cory!

Another way to look at it is that over the years, the MOCO probably did more to actually promote nostalgic motorcycling through their advertizing budget.

...Cotten
                            Cotten you make a good point. The folks at the factory have done their share of advertising.

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                            C.O.,
                            One thing you will notice at WTT is a lot of rubber on the floor. I am sure Dale will be happy to show you how it got there. Unlike the H-D Museum everything in Dale's collection runs.
                            I like the idea of a running museum. I periodically check out the WTT web-site and the Walkslers have their fair share of enthusiam!

Originally posted by rousseau View Post
                            Having recently made a trip to the harley museum, and frequently visiting WTT (I live only an hour away). It's silly to try and compare the two. Both are "must see" IMO. The H-D muesum is not just a collection of motorcycles, Its just as much about the "company".
                            Two things I found odd. Of the hundreds of bikes on display, only one FXR model ,and it was part of the Police display. Most disturbing was the famous #1, They have eguipped it with "Coker" tires.
                            I envy you for being so close to such a great spot for old motorsickles. Both the H-D and WTT are on my list of things to do. I don't know what to think about the "famous #1". It simply isn't what it's portrayed to be. I did get a thrill when I saw the 1908 straptank in Iowa though!!!
                            Last edited by c.o.; 02-23-2011, 10:51 PM.
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Still waiting for my copy of the magazine.
                              Buzz Kanter
                              Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
                              [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
                              [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X