Antique Motorcycle places to visit while in San Francisco in March

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique Motorcycle places to visit while in San Francisco in March

I will be in San Francisco in the 3rd week of March and have a few days to look at old motorcycles. I know of the bar called Rickenbackers but I was wondering what else is local or within riding distance.
    Ross

It's about a 3 hour drive over the mountains... but the National Automobile Museum in Reno is worth a transatlantic flight... Not many motorcycles there. About a half-dozen in the 'open' collection. But the museum itself is eye candy for the internal-combustion fan. Brilliantly presented, beautiful cars (and bikes)... a tribute to Bill Harrah.

And in SF, visiting Dudley Perkins... one of the oldest HD dealers in the nation... is a pilgrimage in and of itself. I don't know what it's like today, but when I was last there c. 1999... it was great. They used have tons of memorabilia, photos and old bikes on display. If I remember right, they have been in business since about 1913 or 1914. I don't know if Farrow (in Columbus, Oh.) or Perkins is older. But both are really neat to visit. When I lived in Columbus, c. 1995, visiting Farrow's was like stepping into a time machine.

Cheers, Sirhr.

Comment

Hatt's Antique & Modern Motorcycle's Supply & Restoration
      42 Red Hill Ave
      San Rafael, CA 94901
      (415) 488-1441

Vince's Antique & Modern Motorcycle Supply
      Street: 925 Masson Ave
      San Bruno, ca 94066-3135
      Phone: (650) 952-6120
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I have been to the Reno museum a couple of years ago and it is everything you say. I Have Perkins on my list but did not have Hatt's.Sounds like my kind of shop. Thanks guys.
        Ross

Comment

Rickenbackers on 2nd St. isn't called that anymore. But's there on the corner (I think it's Clementina) a block & half south of Market St. I forget the name of the place now. Perkins moved to South San Francisco, and has an awesome building, complete with a museum-like lobby. Loris, on Stockton, just south of Union Square has a skirted Chief hanging inside.
          If you can grab a bike, a blast down 280 south to 92, then West for a few miles to Skyline is a great drive to Alice's Restaurant. From there continue on out to the Coast, where it intersects in San Gregorio & the General Store. Then you can head south on the Coast, up through Halfmoon Bay toward the City.
          Vince's Shop (his house) in San Bruno is a treasure trove also, as well as Vince Martinico in Auburn, CA
          Dress warm for SF though.
          RF.

Comment

Red Fred.... you paint a good enough picture that I've got an itch to head to California!!! I had mapped out Perkins and Alice's Restaurant if I ever get to the Dixon meet....

I did get a chuckle though out of the dress warm thing... I'm guessing that judging by where Ross hails from that he may make the tour in a long sleeved T-shirt...
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

If you'll be around until the weekend, you could check out the Clubmans show. http://www.bsaocnc.org/Clubmans/all_...yer_advert.pdf I've been the last couple years and along with the British bikes are buildings with European, Japanese, and American bikes. Also, if the car idea is up your alley you could check out the Blackhawk museum. http://www.blackhawkmuseum.org/ I haven't been there myself yet, but the website sure looks interesting.
              Eric Olson
              Membership #18488

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                Red Fred.... you paint a good enough picture that I've got an itch to head to California!!! I had mapped out Perkins and Alice's Restaurant if I ever get to the Dixon meet....

I did get a chuckle though out of the dress warm thing... I'm guessing that judging by where Ross hails from that he may make the tour in a long sleeved T-shirt...
                I had to laugh to about the long sleeve shirt Cory
                Chuck
                AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Hey Chuck! You might be able to pull that stunt off too!!!
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

I love this website. Many thanks Red Fred, and yes I have one or two long sleeved shirts for if it dips below zero.I will try and get to the Blackhawk museum too as I have heard about it. San Fran is looking better all the time.
                    Ross

Comment

I have the Prez of the German Indian Club heading up here on the Pacific Coast Hiway on a rented Fat Boy. We are expecting snow here on Friday. It doesn't snow here. But I guess for him, we'll have snow.
                      I think the German Club has 450 members! All on Indians!
                      RF.

Comment

Rafael, and I just had a beer at Rickenbachers. Norman "Henry Africa" died yesterday. But for now, the bar is still open!
                        More as it happens, RF.

Comment

Fred, did Henry Africa own all of those motorcycles? It will be interesting to see what happens to them.
                          PMB

Comment

Working...
                          X