Rebuild kit - rear brake cylinder '63 - '72 Harley Big Twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuild kit - rear brake cylinder '63 - '72 Harley Big Twin

Does anyone know of a source for these rebuild kits? V-Twin has discontinued them as have the other major suppliers. I used my last one on my '68 FLH and need one for my '66 and probably one for my '72 FX.

Any leads appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lonnie
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Napa or any other auto supply store. That motocycle was not the only thing that was used on. Or simply measure the bore and cross refrance it. Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

I'd thought about that but the boots looked different somehow. The innards looked the same as the Chevrolets that I used to work on. Bore is 1-1/8.

If I don't find a real one shortly I'll give that a shot. Thanks
      Lonnie Campbell #9908

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

I see them on ebay all the time!
        Mike

Comment

Try a dealer search at the closest Harley shop.

Comment

None on ebay at this time, though there is an NOS kit for '58 - '62. I reckon I'll try my local auto parts store. The boots look different, but what the heck, the worst thing that can happen is that they won't work.

Thanks all,
            Lonnie
            Lonnie Campbell #9908

Comment

Lonnie, I bought a new cylinder for my '65 at a local auto parts shop fairly cheap, it took me a while to find the right number but it worked great. I'll see if I can find the number again....
              Louie
              FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
              Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
              YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Try this info..........

RAYBESTOS Part # WC9004 {PG PLUS}
                [FRONT LEFT WHEEL CYLINDER] Some Production Use

Wagner Lockheed G
                FD-15429 USA
                Louie
                YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Lonnie, I did a part number search with number Louie supplied, on rockauto.com price is $19.93 plus shipping to you.
                  I hope this helps you.
                  Tim
                  Last edited by TimR; 02-01-2011, 03:34 PM. Reason: link didn't work

Comment

That is great information and I will certainly look into it. That would also solve the problem of corrosion inside the cylinder bore. The one on the '68 was good and I had a spare used cylinder for the '66 since the one on it was too corroded to take a rebuild. A shop dealer friend thinks he can get a kit for it, but I need to put a complete wheel cylinder into my inventory just in case.

Not that I am in need but others may be, so, is there a reasonably priced alternative to the '58 - '62 version? I've seen the entire NOS wheel cylinder on Ebay but they ain't cheap. I was told that the ones used on the early Jeep's is the same but that they are not cheap either. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,
                    Lonnie
                    Lonnie Campbell #9908

Comment

There are guys who advertise in Hemmings Motor News who sleeve cylinders with brass or stainless.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I have Raybestos WC-7379 and NAPA UP-7379 for the cylinder.
                        It is also for a 41-53 Willys CJ.

Comment

If I remember correctly, the complete wheel cylinders sold for that application at an auto store has a different style bleeder than the original. I have a rebuild kit out in the shop I bought a long time ago at an auto store. It's freezing rain right now but tomorrow I'll get out there and get the wagner number from the box and post it here.
                          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

I think this is it, please let me know if I'm mistaken.......
                            Attached Files
                            Louie
                            YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Yes, that's it. The 1958-62 version has a straight inlet.
                              I think the Wagner number for the rebuild kit is F71670
                              Last edited by Old Dude; 02-03-2011, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X