No announcement yet.

Indian tank rebuilding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK here is what I have to work with. I suspect that the rusty one was repaired already once.

To do it right, I believe they both should be completely taken apart and start over.

I know that I don't want gas dripping down on the ole flathead!
    Attached Files
    AMCA #10930

Comment

Find out if new are available first. ( Mine cost $700.) Then weigh the difference with your weekly income, and assume that this job might cost you 4 hrs a day x 2 weeks. New tanks get putty and paint too, so don't count that. But make an honest and patient effort to weigh in the new tanks (the right half makes the 36's a little more costly).
      The pix take me back to those agonizing efforts before they made the new ones.
      The right half needs a new side plate, and internal oil bag plates, (imo), unless you find them free of corrosion. .. I like the left half, and I'd have it checked for leaks and whether it can be sealed, if the exit is intact. If the left half can be saved intact, then let's get back to page 1 and go for the pain on the right half!

Comment

Ok - here is what I have learned so far from this thread and searching the net.

Most gas tanks and it seems my right tank shows signs of being made from "Terne" sheet. Where ever the terne coating has been sanded away the tank is rusty - under the paint is a beautiful coating that is still solid - the "Terne coating".

Terne apparently is a Tin/lead based coating that was applied to the sheet steel for the following reasons.
        1. A die lubricant for the forming of the tank
        2. A base coat to improve solderability (pre tinned so to speak)
        3. Corrosion prevention (is real common for roofing material)

This also explains why people trying to weld them would have problems if the terne coating was still present.

Can anyone shed some light on the replacement tanks that are available today?
        I have particular concerns over the modern ethanol based fuels and the possibility for unprotected sheet to rust/corrode.

Are any of the available tanks on the market today coated with anything like Tin, Galvanized or Terne?

I see that several parts suppliers sell tanks - some welded and some soldered.

Thanks again for any further information.
        AMCA #10930

Comment

quote: "I have particular concerns over the modern ethanol based fuels and the possibility for unprotected sheet to rust/corrode."

Seems like any premium will have 10-15% ethanol blended into it in midwestern states, so I asked the rad shop whether the sealer could stand up to it, and he said yes. Time will tell. ... Methanol is your highly corrosive fuel, ethanol is solvent in behavior, but is less prone to corrode unless you leave it unattended for a long time, in which case it can separate into gas and water, or something like that.
          I feel any new tank should get sealer before use. Buys more time when they crack!

Comment

D. J. Knott
            Check you private messages.
            Jim D
            Jim D

Comment

Jim D,

No PM? I sent you one to see if you get it.
              AMCA #10930

Comment

Working...
              X