Harley 1920's Cylinder Lap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley 1920's Cylinder Lap?

Can anyone help me with an exact ID, or better yet, factory literature on the first item shown in the series of pics at this link;

http://www.linkcycles.com/tableandbar/

It's a early 1920's Harley factory tool and I suspect that it's a cylinder lap of some sort. It has casting numbers that are very similar to the 20's frame table shown later in the series. This frame table I KNOW is a factory tool as I have the factory service bulletin that covers its use. I found them together as a pair and they both came out of an overseas dealership in New Zealand (Jones Brothers)
    At the top of the unit where the connecting rod attaches to the rocker, there are three positions marked 61, 74, and single. Looks to me like changing the selection would slightly change the stroke of whatever tooling is attached to reciprocate inside of the rotating cylinder mounted below.
    The unit has a power input shaft on the side. When this is turned, the table with the three posts rotates. You can see in the one picture how a cylinder is mounted inverted in that rotating carriage. At the same time, there is gearing inside that causes the con-rod in the rear to reciprocate and this seesaws the rocker on the top back and forth causing whatever tooling that's mounted to the other end to stroke up and down inside of the rotating cylinder below.
    It seems that Harley would have produced some kind of paper manual on the use of such a device. They did so with the frame table so why not this?

I'd also be interested in any info on the large cast fixtures that I have for the frame table shown later on the page. I've figured out a couple of them but others are a complete mystery.

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Mark Masa
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris
      Thanks. Already have that as well as the complete manual for the frame table. I'm looking for info on the cylinder lap.
      Mark
      Mark Masa
      www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark,

Harley did a tapered bore on their cylinders up the the early 30's. Most of the shop dopes talked about sending the cylinders back to the factory for boring. As elaborate as your apparatus is, I wonder if that's not it's purpose.
        Calvin

Comment

Mark,
          I've attached a period photo of a 1912 FN four engine and some development details that should help you identify your engine.
          looks like FN four to me
          Attached Files
          Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
          A.M.C.A. # 2777
          Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

For some reason the site wouldn't accept a Word document from my computor.
            1905, 57 x 45 bore and stroke = 362 cc
            1906-09 57 x 48 = 410 cc
            1910-13 57 x 52.5 = 492 cc
            1914 on 88 x 52 mm = 748 cc
            Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
            A.M.C.A. # 2777
            Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

quote: "Harley did a tapered bore on their cylinders up the the early 30's"

which way and why? (before I deduce) (pardon the highjack)

Comment

Phil: Tapered bores are common in aircraft engines. The theory is that the top of the cylinder is hotter than the bottom and at operating temperatures the bore becomes uniform from top to bottom. I believe the tapers were from .002-.005. Tom Wilcock

Comment

They weren't bored tapered they were ground

Comment

Tommo
                    Got any details on the frame table attachments or the lap / hone? These are the ones from Jones Brothers that I got from the Coopers museum 7 or 8 years back. Like you said, they were both sitting outside, but were not rusted away as you had worried they would be. Here's how I found them out back of one of the buildings. I figure that if anyone has info on these, it would be you.
                    Mark Masa
                    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Working...
                    X