renewal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dues are a bargain--Magazine Sales

At 8.25 cents per day ($30/year) the dues are quite a bargain. If we can grow at that rate, super!

Is the vendor picking the spots for the magazine? There are a few small bike shops and news stands around Miami with racks where it might sell, and I would be willing to stock some issues if the vendor does not have an exclusive franchise. Let me know and I'll speak to the store owners.
    Roy

Comment

Rwasson...You make it sound so easy and cheap....I bet you were one of those guys with a paper route and shiney new bike! Probably even had a savings book at school I'll bet!!.....Ah, but we all know that there are those amongst us that couldn't hang onto a nickle for the time it takes to hand it over to the Candy Store guy! Not when confronted with those glass jars full of Penny Candys!!!....Mmm...I'll have one Licorice Pipe, one strip of Candy Dots, one Tootsie Roll, a Mary Jane....no make that a Swizzle Stick.....and lets not forget a Bazooka for that long walk to school!... Come the end of the week, ya got no money left to buy the latest Superman Comic! Damn...it all goes by too fast!! I'm definitely going to put a couple bucks aside every week for next years Dues and Subscriptions....Yeah right!!....Somethings never change... Hrdly-Dangrs

Comment

Double Bubble and Big Pickle/Magazine Sales

No paper route. Bike was a rat Schwinn. Made my money pulling a Radio Flyer wagon from the RC Cola plant loaded with soda bought at 3.5 cents per bottle and sold at 5 cents. Store owner across the street had been getting 6 cents, so I stole all his soft drink business. He "bought me out" in a hostile takeover.

I guess you are right about the other things to spend that 8.25 cents a day on. That would only get a Double Bubble and a large oblong pickle out of the jar on the back counter. Decisions, decisions

Back to the magazine sale issue. One of those "small bike shops" that I mentioned as being a place we could sell our mag is Heaven Cycle in Miami. The boss of the place just became our 14th charter member of the new South Florida Chapter today. We now have an "in" we should use to sell our magazine.

Nightrider

Comment

The intent of putting the club magazine on the news stand is to increase the membership. Many folks are not aware that a National Antique Motorcycle Club exists. Hopefully this coverage will bring more awareness. It was not intended to be a huge revenue generator.

Comment

Magazine Sales to Increase Awareness

Hey Admin. Guy:

So, do we want to see if I can get some local bike shops to sell the magazine to increase awareness? Or are we happy with the number of placements we have now, etc?

Roy

Comment

Contact Rick Schunk (editor) to see what the deal is with that. I'm not that familiar with the whole distribution set-up. I'm hopeing that these good intentions don't get side tracked. It always seems so easy from the outside. Until you climb into the big machine. I hope it's a simple thing. Best of luck.

Paul Edwards

Comment

I'll check with Rick, thanks.
                Roy

Comment

Hi All:
                  I just tuned in, and thought I'd better respond to this one.
                  Yes folks, the dues are up. The decision was made at Davenport, and the proposal was made by our treasurer, Dennis Craig, who pointed out the need. We haven't increased the dues for 18 years, and unless you haven't noticed, those greenbacks don't go quite as far as they used to. I personaly would have preferred a more gradual increase, but I guess we just left it too long. The rate is $30.00 for US, $34.00 for Canada, and $40.00 for overseas. If you compare these rates to other vehicle collector clubs like ours, we're still the best deal in town. Rest assured also, that as long as I have anything to say about it, any "windfall profits" made by this or the magazine sales, will be used to give more services, events, etc., for you, the members.
                  Unfortunately, the old rates were advertized in the magazine, which had already gone to the printers. We therefore decided to make the old rates available to first time subscribers on a one time basis, which seemed the best way to overcome that problem. I suppose, K Perry, that you might get away with taking advantage of the situation, as I doubt we have the technology in place to prevent it, but you would lose your existing membership number, and the "new" Perry would have a number over 10,000.
                  As to the magazine on the newsstand thing, we didn't do this without a lot of number crunching. We are doing better than anticipated so far, and are attracting new members, most of whom didn't know we existed until they saw the mag.
                  As to the "color bleeding", you may be referring to the pictures of our regular contributers, Bud Cox, P Heintz, Steve Blancard, George Yarocki, and yours truly. This was done on purpose by Rick Schunk as an artistic ploy, I assume to make the pictures look more like paintings than photos. Whether this works or not is up to conjecture, but it does eliminate the wrinkles on us older fossils!
                  Mrs. Hrdly certainly can have a card if she wishes, as can anyone's wife, husband, live-in girfriend, boyfriend, children or signifigant others of all three sexes. The new memberships are also fiscal rather than by calendar year. You can join in Sept. and you will still get four magazines. Its more fair.
                  I sincerely hope you will all re-join the greatest old motorcycle club in the world.
                  Cheers,
                  Pete Gagan

Comment

But I,...well I,...gee-whiz I,...never complained about the dues increase, only about the possiblity of newsstand failure and color bleed.
                    Speaking of lost placement of a members number series, is Jay Leno's number really 34 or did he buy it?

Comment

Hi K Perry:
                      Actually, when I joined the club in 1959, my original number was 35. Jay Leno was not onboard at that time. People do quit, die, etc., and early numbers are recycled. I suppose that being who he is, our membership people saw fit to give him an early one. Rest assured, no $ changed hands. (Other han $20.00, now $30.00)
                      Pete

Comment

Working...
                      X