No announcement yet.

Here they go again - Cannonball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it is with much regret that i have to announce the termination of the cannonball. i sincerly apologize to all the people who really wanted to see this happen. the reasons for this decision were purely financial.
    www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

2012 Lonnie
      We are all licking our financial wounds. Talk to your Cannonballer's as I have, everybody has said 2012. In marketing you must know your potential customers.
      Joe
      Last edited by Slojo; 12-10-2010, 08:26 PM.

Comment

sorry to hear of the termination of the cannonball 2011

I realize the time amd effort needed to put this on but do you think a $2000 layout this close to christmas for use 9 months from now was the reason for the little turnout ?????? I know that I cant afford to layout that kind of scratch now or in the future.

on the up side though it will give me another year to find sponsors or better yet win the lotto

good luck in the future lonnie - cannonball 2012 ( keeping fingers crossed )

aka HAWG
        1914 EXCELSIOR BELT DRIVE SINGLE
        1914 excelsior belt drive single carcuss
        1940 indian chief military
        1965 sportster xlch
        1969 sportster xlch bobber
        1971 bsa A65 chopper
        1969 harley ss350 sprint
        1960 harley topper
        1963 harley topper
        H model whizzer on cheiftain bicycle
        H model whizzer on schwinn bicycle
        1949 harley model 125 bobber project
        1959 harley model 165
        1960 harley super 10
        1974 indian 70cc dirt bike
        EXCELSIOR - ALWAYS MAKES GOOD

Comment

I was thinking that a cannonball every year would be pushing it, but didn't say any thing because I would never say anything negative about such a great event. Where the one day run in the UK is also a great event, it's only about 60 miles. I was thinking on the off years someone could host a couple two or three day local runs for the older bikes. It would be a great way to prepare a bike for a cross country run and also be affordable to us poor folks who can't spend $3K and three weeks for the real cannonball. Thanks to all who organized and lucky ones to ride in the first history making Cannonball.
          Louie
          FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
          Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
          YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

The problem with the 2011 proposal, apart from costs, is the fact that it doesn't seem as challenging to most, using pre '30 machines, particularly the 2010 Cannonballers, and they've already done it anyway.
            I have a suggestion. Make it a three flag century run in 2012. The route would be shorter, easier to manage, and more challenging in a sense, because the machines would have to be pre-1913, which would eliminate most gearboxes, particularly the three speeds. Starting in Tecate or Mexicali instead of Tiajuana would allow easy skirting of LA. White Rock BC could be the finish, south of Vancouver. Thats where I live, and I'd host the party.
            Pete

Comment

pete a 3 flag race would be cool. but our homeland security is such b.s. you would never want to try and get an antique bike back in to the us.I spent 9 hrs trying to get a truck back into the us.the clowns at the border would be a nightmare
              rob ronky #10507
              www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

The 74 Shop's 2011 Great Upstate NY Challenge

In light of the cancellation of this year's Cannonball I've decided to announce something I've been thinking of doing for quite a while now. I will be organizing a 5 day Great Upstate NY Challenge totalling about 1250 miles. I have hosted the 2008 AMCA Catskill Mountains road run and have hosted a small road run out of my shop the past few years before the Rhinebeck National. I was planning on doing something small again this year but since there is no northeast AMCA road run this year and now no Cannonball I think this may fill the void. It will be like the Cannonball meets an AMCA road run, possibly similar to an old Gypsy Tour. I hope this may fill the void for those who wanted to see another Cannonball and are were looking for an AMCA road run in the northeast.

The details will be finalized before Jan. 1st.

I'm planning on a BBQ Sunday night after Rhinebeck in nearby Newburgh, NY. I hope to have it at the new AMCA / V-Twin museum. Monday morning we will travel to beautiful Ithaca, NY then Tuesday to Niagara Falls, NY followed by Alexandria Bay, NY on Wednesday then Lake Placid, NY on Thursday and end up Friday afternoon in Round Top, NY the sight of our 2008 Catskill Mountains Road Run. The package will include an opening BBQ, ending banquet, participation award with picture & frame, 5 days of route sheets, & a support truck & trailer capable of up to 10 bikes. There will be awards similar to AMCA road runs and a special sticker for all those who complete the total milage. I am going to limit the run to the first 100 people. We had 125 on our 2008 road run and it was great, maybe I'll go to 125 if there is enough interest. The only rules will be 35 years and older and kick only motorcycles. Special rates will apply to pre-30 motorcycles and previous cannonballers ride for free if they ride their Cannonball bike!

I will have all the hotel info, prices, parking arrangements, etc by Jan 1st. The dates for the 2011 Rhinebeck National are Thursday June 9th through Sunday June 12th. The check in date for the run will be 5PM or so on Sunday the 12th so it will not interfere with the meet and judging. We will end the run on Friday afternoon upon our return from Lake Placid on Friday June 17th.

You will see the Hudson River Valley, Catskill Mountains, Finger Lakes, Niagara Falls, Lake Ontario, The St. Lawrence Seaway & 1000 Islands, Lake Champlain, Adirondack Mountains and so much more. I love NY and I want to show the best of it to my fellow riding enthusiasts.

All the details will be posted on my website www.The74Shop.com by Jan. 1st 2011.

The 2008 Catskill Mountains Road Run was a hell of a good time and I plan on bringing that vibe to this years run.

Steve Barber 845-389-7197 The74Shop@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                X