Nickel Plated Barrels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nickel Plated Barrels?

On reading over the posts concerning what has been learned from the Cannonball, my hat is off to those with technical help and opinions, particularly Mark and Slojo. Lubrication was a very big topic, along with bearings, con rod changes, and so forth. Very little was said about cooling, which is a major problem with the old bikes, due to the shallow and sparse fins on the barrels, and the use of cast iron as opposed to aluminum as on newer machines.
    American manufacturers were fixated on nickel plating on early machines, which is light in color and somewhat reflective. A century ago, Albert Einstein and others were studying the blackbody effect, which proves that radiation (including heat) will pass from one medium to another most efficiently through a black dull surface, less so the lighter and shinier the surface is. European manufacturers painted their cylinders black. George Brough plated cylinders, leaving the plating on the bottom section, but stove enameled the finned portion black.
    It may not be original, but I would be finishing the jugs black on a bike I was planning on using for this event. Black tires are not original on most pre-16 American bikes either, but I didn't see any Cannonball riders running the wear prone white ones.
    The original unrestored bikes generally performed well. Rusty cylinders with old baked on oil are closer to black. Also, consider the magneto carnage. Radiant heat from those red hot engines may have been a major cause. Similar magnetos are still used in piston driven aircraft, but are cooled by altitude and backwash from propellers.
    The old wood stoves that heated houses, along with their smoke stacks were finished in flat black. When central heating came in, it was better to keep the heat inside the oven, and stoves tended to be finished shiny white, the other end of the spectrum. Was this a co-incidence? Frankly, I don't know.
    Pete

Pete,

I personally believe the single biggest design problem for heat retention in a "J" model is the rear exhaust pipe trapped between the timing cover and crankcase, out of the air flow, and all the heat coming off it goes into the engine and magneto.

This was known a long time ago, cuz I've found period hot rod "J" photos with rear pipes routed out of that trapped section.

Comment

Fabercycle...That is a good point about the J model motors. I'm getting ready to assemble my J motor, and thought of wrapping the rear pipe with the ceramic fabric mufferler wrap. I don't particularly like the look of it, but perhaps spraying it with hi temp black would hide it a bit. My bike is going to be a rider and not judged.....Rod

Comment

"George Brough plated cylinders, leaving the plating on the bottom section, but stove enameled the finned portion black."

If you look closely at pictures of Flying Merkel cylinders you will see the same treatment.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Rod K View Post
          Fabercycle...That is a good point about the J model motors. I'm getting ready to assemble my J motor, and thought of wrapping the rear pipe with the ceramic fabric mufferler wrap. I don't particularly like the look of it, but perhaps spraying it with hi temp black would hide it a bit. My bike is going to be a rider and not judged.....Rod
          After barbecuing two magnetos during Cannonball 1, I wrapped my exhaust head pipes with ceramic fabric muffler wrap. Then installed a third magneto rebuilt by the same builder that rebuilt my first magneto and ran the third magneto through the desert without failure.

The rear head pipe is trapped and radiating excessive heat. I don't think the cylinder heat is a problem nickel plating or not. Steve Barber had an infrared heat gauge and was checking cylinder heat on the bikes at fuel stops. The !914 Ghost rear cylinder was running around 195 / 200 degrees F.

Joe

Comment

You could apply a thermal barrier coating to the inside of the pipes to keep the heat from radiating out.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by yhprum View Post
              You could apply a thermal barrier coating to the inside of the pipes to keep the heat from radiating out.
              Steve

Time restraints on my build left stones unturned.

Joe

Comment

Joe,
                I can't believe how much work you did in the time you did it in. My hat is off to you.
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

If Joe had to charge someone for his actual time involved it would be a bill that nobody could ever afford.

Comment

Chris, Tom
                    Thank you for the recognition, it was a long journey and then the ride across the country wow what a trip.
                    Joe

Comment

Working...
                    X