Suggestion For Forum Posting Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion For Forum Posting Rules

I'll target "Parking Lot Chatter", only because it is the category where anything goes. But this suggestion really affects all categories. Many of the topics posted in "Parking Lot Chatter" rile some individuals up because they either disagree with the contents of a topic, misinterpret the contents of a topic, or they take offense to the topic. Rather than be civil with their replies, some attack. slander, or belittle the author of the topic. Usually topics containing political or religious content draw the most turbulent remarks, regardless of how many positive remarks they also draw. Even a simple “Happy Fourth Of July”, as we here in the USA will announce, can draw fire from an individual from another land, especially if they have a beef with our nation. “God Bless America”, Merry Christmas, and anything else related to a higher being, may draw fire from others with different beliefs. Where is the fine line ?

Now the suggestion..... I suggest the AMCA forum change its posting policies to include the forbidding of political or religious content in all topics. To many of us react in an uncivilized manner over such topic content. Tempers fly, dandruffs get up, offense is taken, rude remarks are made, personal attacks are made, and ill feelings linger, especially when politics and religion are included in a topic or in a reply to a topic. There are many members who feel the forum should be related to motorcycle only discussions. I assume those very same members would not participate in political or religious topics even in an actual “Parking Lot”, and... for these same reasons, they dislike that type of content on this forum. I also assume much of the membership would participate. regardless.... Would or would not.....political and religious content will still end up disrupting the masses. That is a given. It has been proven over and over again and the effect will continue over and over again, if political and religious content is continued to be permitted. Politics and religion can eventually take a forum completely over. They will eventually become the main focus and motorcycles will fall by the wayside. I personally have many political and religious views I would love to share with others. I have already shared some of those views with you all. I’ve got a million more to boot. But.... I have decided not to share anymore of those views, via this forum, for the very reasons I have already mentioned. I’ve read the many other topics posted by other forum members with political or religious content within their posts and replies. All seemed to have drawn fire from a large portion of the forum membership. So.......prohibit political or religious content in topic posts and replies, and there will be no political or religious content in the forum domain. There is that “fine line” though, but the moderators can determine what that “fine line” is, and they have the tools to edit out anything that steps beyond that “fine line” area.

Just A Suggestion...... Paps

I'm with you Paul. It is a tough thing to do. I find that I still have a difficult time with my own comments on my board http://www.knucklenutz.com/tech/ . A case in point is my greeting to Vets on Memorial & Veterans Day. I don't consider service to our country to be political, but many others do. If you draw the line Kevin , make sure that you define it carefully.
    John K. Endrizzi
    Membership # 2926

Comment

I'm a moderator on another club's forum, which has long had rules against religion and politics (and other "hot button" topics). It is possible to do it, I think most of the members there have a good idea where the line is, but there is a continuing trickle of complaints about how the policy stifles the conversation.

That forum, which is far busier than here, has tried on a couple occasions to open a forum area where such conversations can be held, so that those that want to can talk about these topics and the rest don't have to go there (in fact, the first time, the forum area was called "Don't Go There"). It was surprising to watch how quickly that area not only had virulent fights over such topics, but that there was increased baiting and trolling for fights. A certain subgroup would look to see how they could push other peoples' buttons, and then did it as much as possible for entertainment.

The second time it was tried, there were dedicated moderators, recruited from the folks that wanted to have such a discussion area and were disappointed after the first attempt, who were allowed to run it. It didn't work and was closed after about 6 months.
      --Darryl Richman
      Follow my 2012 Cannonball Blog!
      http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Comment

2 things that should NEVER be banned on an AMERICAN website is " GOD BLESS AMERICA "
        & Support of the Men & Woman who Protect the "Fredoms of Americans "
        The Rest I can agree with if chosen but the forum would have to be renamed from Parking Lot Chatter to
        Motorcyle Chatter that would eliminate any confusion
        Oz

Comment

Paps, I think you’re over reacting. I mean how many threads here are politically directed. Not that many. It’s a once and a while thing, not every other thread. You and I are probably responsible for 90 percent. I cut it out a couple of months ago because I got tired of listening to the winers. I really don’t think the forum needs more rules. Everything here seems to balance its self out on its own. This place is mellow compared to some of the other forums. Bob L
          AMCA #3149
          http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Bob....reactions are important. Like everyones elses, they all have merit. Keeping it civil is the real issue. How is this obtained ?

Comment

Originally posted by 45OZ View Post
              2 things that should NEVER be banned on an AMERICAN website is " GOD BLESS AMERICA "
              & Support of the Men & Woman who Protect the "Fredoms of Americans "
              The Rest I can agree with if chosen but the forum would have to be renamed from Parking Lot Chatter to
              Motorcyle Chatter that would eliminate any confusion
              Oz
              I personally agree with your responce but this falls into the moderators "where to draw the line at" borders.

Comment

Originally posted by Paps View Post
                Bob....reactions are important. Like everyones elses, they all have merit. Keeping it civil is the real issue. How is this obtained ?
                The world should know by now that it isn't obtained by censorship. Only the U.S.A. has the First Amendment, freedom of speech. Right from "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." It's senseless to censor words. It only makes the speaker angrier at being unable to convey their complaints. Angry, frustrated speakers are quicker to resort to actions, i.e.: physical violence.
                Let it go! Most of the mindless argument reveals more about the character of the speaker, in the long run, than the subject.
                JMHO
                Gerry Lyons #607
                http://www.37ul.com/
                http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Very well said Sarge.
                  Pete Cole AMCA #14441
                  1947 Indian Chief

Comment

Nuke the Gay Whales for Jesus!
                    Be sure to visit;
                    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                      Nuke the Gay Whales for Jesus!
                      Just how long did it take you to think of that Chris ?? Let me guess.....a blink of an eye ? LOL

Comment

Great idea, no more political or religious threads....I looked over the last 5 pages of new threads and ALL of the political or religious threads were started by YOU Paps! So if YOU stop maybe we won't have any more and won't need any Rules or Regulations??? What do you think??

Nuke the Gay Whales for Jesus...that 's great what do you expect from those CA people? Keep all the Mexicans in Mexico?
                        Louie
                        FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                        Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                        YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Neither of the last three posts I started were political nor religious Louis. One post referenced religious data as a comparison but it was not religious by no means. The second post referenced an actual military publication as to the definition of two government terms. It did not refer to democrat nor republican political parties. The third post I put up, this one, references political and religious content to point out how members interpret such content. You know.....like you just did.

Comment

Paps
                            I really try to refrain from these argumentive posts.
                            I have to say that some posters are starting to look like they have nothing better to do then stir the pot and see what gets stirred up.
                            Freedom of speech is one thing, but key board diareha is another.
                            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by LouieMCman View Post
                              Great idea, no more political or religious threads....I looked over the last 5 pages of new threads and ALL of the political or religious threads were started by YOU Paps! So if YOU stop maybe we won't have any more and won't need any Rules or Regulations??? What do you think??

Nuke the Gay Whales for Jesus...that 's great what do you expect from those CA people? Keep all the Mexicans in Mexico?
                              We have lots of bumper stickers here. No Nukes, Save the Whales, Gay Pride, and of course the never ending Jesus bumper stickers.
                              Be sure to visit;
                              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
                              X