Some Perspective on Motorcycle Cannonball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Perspective on Motorcycle Cannonball

Now that the first Motorcycle Cannonball is in the history books and most of us have finally recovered - physically if not financially - I'd like to share an interesting observation.

Back in 2003 I remember how blown away many of us were that Bruce Lindsay rode his pre-teens Harley I think from Cleveland to Milwaukee to help celebrate Harley's 100th anniversary. None of us could believe a bike that old rode that far - something like 200 or 300 miles in a few days.

Now I am not knocking Bruce in any way as he is one of my heroes and a great guy. But as amazing as that ride was less than a decade ago, now compare it to the Motorcycle Cannonball where several dozen brave souls rode machines not much newer than Bruce's several thousand miles across the country.

It's crazy how our perspectives change after an event like the Motorcycle Cannonball. At least for me.
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

What Bruce did was different, in those early years of design, engineering and metallurgy, manufacturing took big leaps immediately following Harley's "back yard" approach to building the early strap tank motorcycles. Remember Bruce was on his !905 Harley Davidson truly what appears to be the first year of production.

Calvin's 1915 and my 1911 had countless improvements developed in those few years. Bruce is the man, he completed that run to Milwaukee with mostly all original Harley Davidson parts. William Sylvester Harley held those parts and may have made some of them with his own hands,,, imagine that.

Shortly after Bruce first started his !905 H. D. I visited his home and heard the engine run for my first time. I wrapped my hands around the cylinder to feel the heat coming off the motor just as I suspect William Harley probably did the first time he started their first motorcycle engine.

At this early stage Bruce's bike was not finished or ready to be ridden yet.

I think the distance in miles was 467 just to get there, another 100 miles ridding around Milwaukee was easily possible.
    Joe
    Last edited by Slojo; 10-27-2010, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Bruce's 1905

Since this thread is talking about Bruce Lindsey's 1905 Harley, I thought I'd share a couple of pictures of it. After Bruce's ride to Milwaukee he returned to Cleveland with the 1905 in the back of his truck. On this trek back he stopped at my father's house in Galesburg, IL. My dad called me and said to come over to see Bruce and the 1905. Here's a couple of pictures that I took that day.
      Attached Files

Comment

I remember hearing about Bruce's ride and then reading the story in the club mag. It was a truly inspiring venture on such a historic machine. I found myself wishing that I had been there to see him roll into Milwaukee. The Cannonball was an amazing event for sure and all I know is it proves that these rare relics CAN be used in the way they were intended instead of being hid away in a den or worse yet, a glass case!!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Bruce's 1905

Just to add another picture of Bruce Linsday's odyssey to Milwaukee, here's one that says it best. This is him parking the '05 Harley on top of William S. Harley's grave-and probably dripping some oil on it-with John Harley (great grandson) and John's wife.
          I think this is as close to bringing the bike home as you can get.
          John Prusnek
          VP, Lake Erie Chapter

Brucegrave.jpg

Comment

I had forgotten that it was a 1905 and somehow remember it being a bit newer. As I said I think the world of Bruce and was not knocking him in any way.
            Buzz Kanter
            Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
            [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
            [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by spajohn View Post
              Just to add another picture of Bruce Linsday's odyssey to Milwaukee, here's one that says it best. This is him parking the '05 Harley on top of William S. Harley's grave-and probably dripping some oil on it-with John Harley (great grandson) and John's wife.
              I think this is as close to bringing the bike home as you can get.
              John Prusnek
              VP, Lake Erie Chapter

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5617[/ATTACH]
              John's wife's name is Kate. She recently retired from H-D where she spent many years in the Customer Service Department. She was a big help to myself and others when she was there.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
              X