Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who can access personal Information on this Forum ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who can access personal Information on this Forum ???

Ok I started this thread because of the previous one about disclosure of Personal Info required after Nov. 15.
    I did not want this lost in a long thread about Rights, Freedoms , & so forth. That being said ....
    Once Nov. 15 comes around & AMCA members are required to Provide their First & Last Names as well as AMCA #,
    1. who will have access to this info ?,
    2. Why is this info needed ?
    3. Will this info be available to the genreral public ?
    or
    4. just regesterd members ?
    5. Will members be notified as to who & when thier personal info was accessed ?
    I think that these are fair & easy Questions that when answered will clear up a lot of concerns, & I'm sure that this has already been thought out well before the request had been made to change the profile requirements
    Once the Mods answer these questions then we can discuss this with the proper info
    Thanks
    Oz

Hackers can access personal information. Hackers access forums all the time. Most look to implant links to products they work for or represent. They hit the jackpot when they run across personal information. Paps

Comment

Hi Paps:
      The only ones who can access your personal info are the forum moderator and the webmaster. It's kept in-house and only is your name and membership number. I am the new moderator, replacing Kevin at the end of the year, officially. Hackers can access pretty well everything, I suppose, but if that is a worry, I suggest staying off the internet altogether. A serious hacker probably has better things to do. We need to maintain some sort of control over the forum to keep off spammers, excess verbal abuse, racial and sexist comments, etc., etc., which compromise the integrity of the club and its members. Remember, although only members can now post on the site, it can be seen by anyone on the globe with a computer. Using a "handle" and remaining anonymous is fair game as it always has been.
      We have had over 900 non members participating at various times in the past. Not good, really.....
      Pete Gagan

Comment

Hi Paps:
        Please disregard the previous. Kevin tells me there may be access I was unaware of. More to follow.
        Pete

Comment

Excess verbal abuse, racial and sexist comments, etc.

Ya mean all the good stuff? Good God when will this end!
          AMCA #3149
          http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
            Excess verbal abuse, racial and sexist comments, etc.

Ya mean all the good stuff? Good God when will this end!
            when our new moderator wants it to if i knew how to bring the quotes to here i'd show you. go back and read LOOK LIKE WE JUST LOST ANOTHER MADE IN USA.
            rob ronky #10507
            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Gagan View Post
              Hi Paps:
              Please disregard the previous. Kevin tells me there may be access I was unaware of. More to follow.
              Pete
              Pete....I understand policing the forum is necessary but why can't the membership number be enough ? A moderator can check the membership number against the name of the owner of it via the roster, which by the way, I recommend the roster, if digital, be kept separate from the forum software. The world does not need to view the name with the number. Respectfully, Paps

Comment

Originally posted by Paps View Post
                Pete....I understand policing the forum is necessary but why can't the membership number be enough ? A moderator can check the membership number against the name of the owner of it via the roster, which by the way, I recommend the roster, if digital, be kept separate from the forum software. The world does not need to view the name with the number. Respectfully, Paps
                i can't think of any good reasons that a member's full name be required on his/her profile....if the moderator is so concerned about spam, all that needs to be done is to require that a displayed random word or phrase be typed in verbatim in order for a post to be accepted. this method is in use at many different boards, it's completely automatic and seems to work well from what i can tell.

Comment

I have discovered I am wrong. In accessing the site from a remote computer without signing in, I discovered that anyone can indeed pick up the same info as I can. You don't have to have hacking skills. I certainly sympathize with your concerns. So much so, that I have informed the new president that I am opting out as the new moderator. Hopefully changes will be made.
                  Over and out.
                  Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Gagan View Post
                    I have discovered I am wrong. In accessing the site from a remote computer without signing in, I discovered that anyone can indeed pick up the same info as I can. You don't have to have hacking skills. I certainly sympathize with your concerns. So much so, that I have informed the new president that I am opting out as the new moderator. Hopefully changes will be made.
                    Over and out.
                    Pete
                    Pete...for goodness sake...don't opt out. You will do a fine job as moderator as long as the proper tools are at your disposable and you get help learning to use them. I must warn you though....though you make use of all available tools to prevent spammers, some will find a keyhole to crawl through. That doesn't happen very often but when it does, it makes for some mind scratching solution finding. And...there is always a solution. The easiest part of moderating is keeping folks like me inline. Respectfully, Paps

Comment

This has got me wondering whether there is any way to just allow signed in members to view personal profiles? Kevin has improved things with blocking spammers as soon as they attempt to register and I haven't seen posts for ads for tennis shoes and E.D. medication for quite some time. I do however notice the odd spammer thumbing through the index and checking profiles or who posted such and such. That does possibly cause reason for concern. Hopefully, this can all be sorted out. Don't bail on us Pete it's nice to see you participating.
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

I agree with CO. I want to chirp in more often but don't. Not sure why, but Pete I've known you along time (emphasis on long) and your perspective on this hobby is needed. If you were American, I would call you a SENATOR.
                        Ross

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                          I agree with CO. I want to chirp in more often but don't. Not sure why, but Pete I've known you along time (emphasis on long) and your perspective on this hobby is needed. If you were American, I would call you a SENATOR.
                          Ross, if you were American you would know that calling him a SENATOR would be an insult! ....... but he could probably handle it.
                          and I agree on his role, or our idea(s) of his role.

Comment

I have attempted to change my profile to reflect the upcoming changes to no avail. I go to the proper place, click the update, and I still cannot change it. Guess I'll be seeing you guys at the meets.
                            Pete Cole AMCA #14441
                            1947 Indian Chief

Comment

I have attempted to change my profile to reflect the upcoming changes to no avail. I go to the proper place, click the update, and I still cannot change it. Guess I'll be seeing you guys at the meets.
                              Pete, since your member number and name already appear it appears to me you are already in compliance. nothing else should be needed!
                              Robbie
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                              X