Bonneville World Finals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonneville World Finals

American Cycle Fabrications' Paul Freibus is at it again.On Octer 9th he took his 1937 U model Harley to a new speed record of 151.181. As most know Paul is an AMCA member and advertiser in the mag.The man does great work!
    Fastest time was 151.8 making it the fastest flathead Harley in the world.
    Bob
    Last edited by chibobber; 10-14-2010, 11:09 AM.

He got well past that 150mph "barrier"! This is great news! He almost didn't make it out this year, I called the shop a couple weeks ago and Joel told me he was out at Bonneville. He also built a pan head for a private owner (David Pilgirm) that is also a record holder, or was will have to check the results to see if it ran this year.
    Last edited by rbenash; 10-15-2010, 08:54 AM.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

Comment

Ray,David did run(Bonneville Bobber)and set a recoerd also.By the way Barb sounded good when I spoke with her.
      Bob

Comment

Bob, thanks for the update. Did Barb travel out too?
        Ray
        AMCA #7140

Comment

About 2 years ago I was vending at Oley I think it was, & I had a long interesting convesation with a Gentleman named Henry Freibus he talked a lot about racing Down the flats & how he went on a run for his 83rd birthday. Could this be Pauls Father? Great guy Very knowledgeable & it was a joy just listining to his stories. Anybody know?

Comment

Yes! That was his father - and he set a record at Bonneville too that year. I met him when I was at Pauls shop after that run. He did the run with Paul's flat head with the fairing on and set the record in that class.
            Ray
            AMCA #7140

Comment

Thanks Ray,
              I always thought that the club magazine should interview him it would make for some good reading that guy was amazing at 83 is he still with us ? I hope so his knowledge is hard to come by
              Oz

Comment

Ray and Oz,Barb did make the trip.Henry is quit the fellow.My good friend Ron Amos and I transported Pauls gear to Bonneville and pitted for him in 2008 when Henry set the record.Henry has quit the history of speed and daring do.He was a tail gunner in WW2.He did motorcycle and off shore boat racing.He rides everyday on his sportster with Annie,his wife.The man has an interesting philosophy."Do it now because your dead for a very long time". There is a great article in IronHorse magazine issue #130.July or Aug this year.Henry is quit the celebrity in South Africa,the Burt Munro of S.A..He gives talks,opens shopping centers and kisses babies.
                Bob

Comment

OK Bob - Paul/Barb has mentioned you during my visits to the shop (he's doing the restoration of my '65). That's a pit crew I would like to be a part of for sure. Just connected the dots. Saw the videos/interviews taken of that season when Henry got on the books.

Henry and Paul both have a lot to tell as far as personal history (and so does Barb). It would be cool to have interviews of both of them in the club magazine for sure. I am glad to hear that Barb was able to make it out this year. I made a visit after she got through everything. She looked great but still had a lot of fatigue (as to be expected). At the time they said they would probably be skipping this year. Paul was really hoping to get past that 150mph mark. I'm really happy to see that he made it past that milestone.

Henry is still with us, yes. I only talked with him for about a half hour or so when he was here. He's a cool dude, very personable - so are Paul and Barb.

I think Paul is carrying on that "Burt Munro" - ish tradition. I've spent a good bit of time on visits to the shop consulting over my project. Spend some time talking with him and you'll get the picture. Between the two of them Barb and Paul really have a great partnership going too. Can't say enough good things, and this new record couldn't happen to better people IMHO.

I could go on an on about the level of work and detail he's applied to my project. His personal history and the skills he's developed along that path are being directly applied. I don't think the bike could be in better hands, frankly. He's totally immersed in all aspects - it's almost like it's his bike, not mine

Folks - here's the Peckhammer video from the 2008 season Bob it's talking about that gives a nice backgrounder:

http://peckhammer.blogspot.com/2008/...rance-and.html
                  Ray
                  AMCA #7140

Comment

Working...
                  X