No announcement yet.

Funny Things Overheard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last year I too was at an old car show and shine with my 1942 WLC complete military trim ( including a correct 1942 sten gun- correct for Canadian DR.) A couple of know it alls said it was a US model and that only the US used them in the war and the gun was all wrong too. Almost to the moment a father and son asked if I was Ross Metcalfe and said that the DAD used to ride a WLC in the war. The two know it alls asked, What part of the states ae you from, upon which the guy mentioned a small town less than a 100 miles from Winnipeg. I asked the old guy(86 yrs.) if he wanted to take it for a ride. He said no , but asked to see the sten. He field stripped it in less than a minute or two and when back together again asked me if I had any bullets....the look on the two know it alls was priceless.
    Ross

Comment

How about the proper and very high fassion attactive lady at a bike/car show refering to my 11 double or was it the 09 single as "the shitty old rusty bike with grandpas belt."
      Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
        ....the look on the two know it alls was priceless.
        Ross, I'll bet you took great pleasure in seeing the old timer go to "work". I always find it rather amazing how folks that don't have their facts straight can speak with such authority on a particular subject.

Originally posted by Slojo View Post
        How about the proper and very high fassion attactive lady at a bike/car show refering to my 11 double or was it the 09 single as "the shitty old rusty bike with grandpas belt."
        Joe
        WOW!!! I'll be if you told the gal what it was worth she may have changed her tune. Again.. WOW!

I've mounted an old defrost knob out of a fifties Ford on my Pan... My line is " Yeah, I haven't got it dialed in yet... it blows hot in the summer and cold in the winter!"
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

how many times have you had someone tell you about the old bike they used to have that threw them over the handlebars when they tried to kick start it. i sure would like to see that in person at least once. would make a good youtube video if you could rig it.

Comment

This is a funny thing I have noticed. At least half the time I signal a right hand turn by holding my left hand up, somebody hangs out their car or truck window, and waves back. With a big grin on their face. It always cracks me up.
            A. Bernhardt
            AMCA# 9726

Comment

Now that they don't require new licencees to know hand signals in my state I use my right arm to point to the right to signal. A funny story tho, I was at a local car show recently showing my support for the local police with a 10 belt drive harley, 29 Indian four, 37 four and a 45 chief all police bikes and would be asked many times what they were worth. I would tell them to go pick out 10 or so cars, give or take, and you'll be close
              D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Recently at the last Oley meet, A young couple of dudes checked out my Ole Ladies 45 solo electric start system. One shot his mouth off with.... When you can't kick them over anymore, you quit riding. To make a long story short....In the end, I watched them both head for the parking lot and they both mounted button starts !! Paps

Comment

This summer I rode my hand shift Pan on a poker run with the local HOG chapter. Not wanting to slow anyone down, I stayed at the rear of the pack. The guy riding sweep, with a Life Time Member HOG patch on his back, followed me for 100 miles and 5 poker stops. Finally at the last stop he asked "don't you have a clutch on that thing?"
                  PMB

Comment

It's bad enough when the majority of riders wave back but I've had local cops and Florida State Troopers wave back too, really makes me wonder how many times I've almost been run down without knowing it.While on the subject of handsignals, where the heck is the sweet spot for the driveby wave I've been high fived, lowball wiggled and good old one finger saluted thru the years

Comment

So I'm In my Bicycle Shop at the jersey shore where I hang some of my Indian Signs for decor, A customer walks in a see's the signs walks up to the counter and says to me " Indian Motorcycles, Thier from Cleveland , Right ? " I just said " No Sir That's the Baseball Team, Can I help you?"
                      Oz

Comment

people in cleveland must be more educated about bikes in general and the history of em. on more than one occasion i have had people guess the year of my 47 knuckle either dead on or thought it might be a 48. many people that see the bike even know it's a knucklehead as soon as they see it. i have not met anybody who had even the slightest interest in bikes blow it off, they all seem to dig it, people in their teens and early twenties want to know all about where they can find an old bike. many times i have been out for a ride and seen others out riding their old bikes, mine is a daily rider for me. cleveland is a blue collar town that has always been into bikes even if the weather sucks so bad ya can't ride but 2 weeks outa the year (exaggerating, but it does sucketh). naw, we like old bikes here, always have, always will.

Comment

Originally posted by 45OZ View Post
                          So I'm In my Bicycle Shop at the jersey shore where I hang some of my Indian Signs for decor, A customer walks in a see's the signs walks up to the counter and says to me " Indian Motorcycles, Thier from Cleveland , Right ? " I just said " No Sir That's the Baseball Team"
                          Oz
                          we have a baseball team?!

Comment

Folks,

A nicely-dressed middle-aged couple just walked into my shop and asked if it was a restaurant.

Please consider how mainstream motorcycles have become, (good or bad), and how great a divide between the masses and the enthusiast shall always remain.

After all! Aren't there motorcycles hanging in some McDonald's?

....Cotten
                            AMCA #776
                            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

They had a stock car here in Hudson, so The newlyweds had somewhere to take their cousins

Comment

Originally posted by Neil74 View Post
                                They had a stock car here in Hudson, so The newlyweds had somewhere to take their cousins
                                Neil!

I appreciate your reply, as stories of a '65 Big Twin hanging in a Chicago 'burb' were only hearsay to me.

With "dumbed-down" Discovery Channel programming,we can only hope that serious owners "own up", and preserve the machine'
                                s honest heritage.

If they do not, they are tragically easy to spot.

Like, perhaps,... one "hit" show featuring a couple of pirates scouring the countryside, without a clue in the first place?

What ever happened to "research"?
                                Did it go the way of the rest of the USA educational system?

Nevermind....

...Cotten
                                Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-07-2010, 04:57 PM.
                                AMCA #776
                                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                                X