Motorcycle Cannonball Start of Day 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Cannonball Start of Day 9

After a much needed rest yesterday (our bikes got the rest, we didn't) Motorcycle Cannonball riders ill pull out of Hot Springs, AR for one of the shorter days of riding but a grueling one.

I think we ride something like 170 miles today, but that includes up and Magazine Mountain that I am told is 6000 feet high. Someone said it is something like 9 miles up and almost 20 miles down.

This will be tough to climb on the single cylinder bikes, and tough on all of us coming down due to the old brakes we count on.

Wish us luck!

Yesterday Dave Fusiak tended to his 1915 Harley and mine. New rear rubber as the Avons had given us great service but were mostly worn slicks. Both bikes needed some minor clutch maintenance, and my rear brakes were pretty well oil soaked. Plus we checked the bikes for loose nuts and other hardware. Dave''s bike needed primary chain adjustment, mine did not.

Dave also installed a large aftermarket keg style gas tank on his luggage rack. Looks pretty funky but should more than do the job for him.

When we pull out this morning I expect there will be less than 40 bikes still running. Dale Walskler is frustrated that he can't figure out what's wrong with Wayne Stanfield's 1915 Wheels Through Time Harley, which has been suffering all sorts of mechanical issues.

Cris Sommer-Simmons should be back in the hunt after her 1915 Harley bent a pushrod. And John Szalay is back and running on his 1911 Harley single after remachining a forklift rod for his little singel that has been eating stock Harley rods.

Currently there are 12 of us still carrying perfect scores. Each day is tougher to hold that line but we are all doing our best.
    Buzz Kanter
    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Hang in there Buzz! Glad to know you are still in it along with all the other front runners! And it is great to see everyone lending help and parts to the others when needed!
    Lonnie Campbell #9908
    South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Right on Buzz, I'am pulling for the little guys most of all - just to hope they make it. Seeing the effort's being made by all, really inspiring! The guy making his connecting rod for the HD single, the rebuild's taking place. Just the gut's to git on those old machines and give it your best, hat's off to em all ! Come on Henderson's and Militare and Pope, to cool !!

Comment

Working...
      X