Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire destroys National M/C Museum Birmingham ENG.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire destroys National M/C Museum Birmingham ENG.

A black day indeed. Read below. *********

Fire destroys motorbike collection

Many of the 650 bikes destroyed were unique

Fire has destroyed much of the National Motorcycle Museum near Birmingham, ruining 650 vintage machines and leaving 60% of the building a blackened shell.

Investigators are at the scene on Wednesday to begin an inquiry into the cause of the fire.

The value of the destroyed bikes is put at £8m, but many of the machines are irreplacable.

Staff and conference delegates at a business conference at the museum at Bickenhill, near Birmingham International Airport, saved some of the 900 bikes after fire broke out at around 1700 BST Tuesday.

More than 120 firefighters tackled the fire which could be seen for 15 miles around.

The bikes destroyed in the collection traced the history of the British motorcycle industry and many of the museum's rarest exhibits were among those lost.

Exhibits included BSA Gold Stars, Sunbeam Twins, DMW Hornets and Triumph racers.

'Absolutely devastated'

But museum bosses have vowed that the museum will be rebuilt and hopes remain that some of the damaged bikes could be saved.

Neil Payne, competition and demonstrations manager at the museum, said: "I am sure that it will rise, like the proverbial phoenix, from the ashes.

"At the moment we do not know whether the bikes are destroyed beyond redemption.

"We keep thinking it's a bad dream and we are going to wake up.
    "This is a huge loss to British heritage."

It is a devastating loss, not just to me, but for the country as a whole
    Museum owner Roy Richards

Staff at the museum were said to be "absolutely devastated".

A museum spokesman said: "Over 300 of the exhibits in the museum have been saved.

"Sadly, three of the museum's five exhibit halls have been destroyed along with their exhibits.

"Irreplaceable machines"

"A full assessment of the damage is being undertaken with a view to getting operations under way again as soon as possible.

"Many irreplaceable machines will have been damaged in the fire, but they will be restored once again, to their original showroom condition."

The museum was home to more than 900 vintage machines.

Owner Roy Richards started collecting the bikes in the 1970s and the museum opened in 1984 with an initial collection of 350 machines.

It became one of the biggest motorcycle museums in the world and attracted about 250,000 visitors a year. It was also a conference centre.

Mr Richards told BBC Midlands Today: "It is a devastating loss, not just to me, but for the country as a whole."

Staff and conference delegates helped rescue bikes

Exhibitor Neil Payne told the BBC: "There are so many unique, priceless, irreplaceable machines that are lost. It is absolutely devastating.

"The museum and indeed the country has lost some unique machines from British motorcycling history."

Firefighters remained at the scene throughout the night damping down the scene in preparation for investigations into the cause of the fire begin.

It is thought to have started at the rear of the building near a lift shaft.

At its height, there were big delays on the A45 between Birmingham and Coventry and smoke was drifting across the nearby M42.

The traffic problems made it difficult for the fleets of fire engines trying to get to the scene.

Three of the five exhibition halls were destroyed

The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) minister Jacqui Smith had been due to attend a conference at the museum on Tuesday evening.

A DTI spokeswoman said on Tuesday: "She was expected to attend the Manufacturing Advisory Service dinner which was cancelled because of the fire.

"She was informed long before she was due to be there that it would not be taking place.

"She will be contacting the museum to pass on her condolences."

Org. article and photos---and video.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...cs/3114410.stm

I just heard the news and came here.

Cry

Comment

More photos. Uhhhhh..........

http://80.62.76.243/blaze

Comment

I looked at 2 of those and just had to stop.

Comment

FIRE PRESS ANNOUNCEMENT

FIRE PRESS ANNOUNCEMENT ----from NMM-UK web site.

The National Motorcycle Museum experienced a severe fire on the afternoon of 16th September.

The buildings were successfully evacuated using established safety procedures and there have been no casualties.

Over 250 of the exhibits in the Museum have been saved. Sadly, three of the Museums five exhibit halls have been destroyed along with their exhibits, probably totaling around 500 machines.

The main entrance and reception area, and much of the northern section of the Museum has not been damaged, and the Crows Nest, Balcony and Wardroom suites will be fully operational from Monday 22 September.

Just seven days later, on 29 September, the Museum expects to be open again for business in the larger Premier and Bracebridge suites.

The Museum’s largest suite, The Imperial, which can host 850 delegates is undergoing refurbishment after smoke and water damage, but is expected to reopen for larger events on 1 January 2004.

Many irreplaceable machines will have been damaged in the fire, but, where possible, they will be restored once again to their original showroom condition. To this end we shall be appealing for many scarce components and parts which will be needed. Details will be posted to this web site shortly.

The Museum has received countless messages of support and offers of assistance. We are grateful to everybody, and undertake to do our utmost to restore the greatest collection of British motorcycles back to its former glory.

National Motorcycle Museum,
          Sales Offices,
          86 Henwood Lane,
          Solihull,
          B91 2TH
          UK

telephone: 0121 704 2784
          fax: 0121 711 3153
          email: sales@nationalmotorcyclemuseum.co.uk
          http://www.nationalmotorcyclemuseum.co.uk

Comment

I sure hope that Pennington's "Torpedo" 3-wheeled motorcycle of 1896 was not there. I know it's somewhere in England. I don't remember at the moment if Pennington built it here or in England, but he was an American and the Torpedo was patented here in the USA. He brought it back and demonstrated it in New York City in 1899 and got a speeding ticket -- so he claimed. Then I guess it went back to England.

You've got to hand it to the Brits that they would preserve such an early American machine when we never did. And now this disastrous fire. What a terrible shame....

Comment

Pennington's "Torpedo" was not at the National museum, fortunately. Its at Beaulieu.
              If anyone out there has any Pennington info, my next major project will be a replica of the 2 wheeled Pennington motorcycle of 1896, which is long gone. I have a hoard of info, including drawings coming from England. Any additional historical background would be welcome. I may not try to jump over the Susquehanna River though, as Pennington claimed he did. The flight may be theoretically possible, but the landing worries me.
              Pete Gagan

Comment

Working...
              X