Timeless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timeless

Pics and copy are courtesy of Ross.......

"Took my 1910 timeless out today and we couldn't keep it going. The
    gas cap wasn't vented. So I did what any good Canadian would do, took a
    rye whiskey jigger apart and it fit like a charm. Perfectly vented. From
    my father's stuff from the 1930's. We rode the bike all day after that."

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

I'd be worried about what the gas will do that poor old cork. The gas is a lot more abrasive than the whiskey.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil74 View Post
      I'd be worried about what the gas will do that poor old cork. The gas is a lot more abrasive than the whiskey.
      My father's Big X had a cork float in float bowl and it began to break apart after several decades of faithful service. He was always eyeballing cork fishing bobbers for the proper grain and diameter in order to make replacements. He finally found a couple and carved out some replacements. Mom came home one Saturday afternoon to the aroma of baking cork and " Indian Head, Gasket Shellac" wafting thru the house, emanating from her oven. Dad had pasted together the original and slathered a fresh coat of shellac on it as well as an initial layer on a pair of replacements and set them to cure for a few hours at a low temp while Mom was away. The air was turning bluer by the minute, and not just from the smoldering shellac.

It wasn't long after that that someone began offering replacement brass floats of suitable application, my frugal father said that none had been available prior.

Sunday's pot roast did have an unusual flavor come to think of it .
      William McClean
      AMCA # 60

Comment

Way to go Cory. What ever it takes to get a ride out of the old beast. Salute!

Man, I can only imagine what indian head shellac smells like baking in a oven but I’ll bet a few windows got opened up.
        ------------
        Steve
        AMCA #7300

Comment

Originally posted by William McClean View Post
          It wasn't long after that that someone began offering replacement brass floats of suitable application, my frugal father said that none had been available prior.
          William!

With all due respect to your father, whom I had the pleasure to meet many times,
          there shall never be a brass float that is suitable to replace cork.

To make a brass float buoyant at all, it must be enlarged to the maximum size that can be installed. And then only after tedious trial-and-error might you find a much deeper setting where the motor will run.
          By that point, most of the bowl reserve volume has been compromised, and the performance compromised as well.

Reserve is why there is a bowl.

Only carburetors designed to have a brass float should have a brass float.

Sincerely,

....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio-Rider View Post
            Way to go Cory. What ever it takes to get a ride out of the old beast. Salute!

Man, I can only imagine what indian head shellac smells like baking in a oven but I’ll bet a few windows got opened up.
            Hey Steve... That was Ross with the ingenuity... How is life treating you in Ohio.....(question mark) I am using a laptop currently and some of the keys just refuse to cooperate....
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Cotten !

I do believe you are correct. My Dad, Dave, never did replace the homebuilt cork with a brass piece. Eventually Uncle Bob did a more correct restoration on the machine than Dad had been able to accomplish during the early 60's and I believe the cork float is still in place. A debate occurred on the shellac outer coating of the cork float circling around " Was it ever shellacked, or was the shellac coating acquired over time as the float was in contact with evaporating gasoline for several decades and would fresh gasoline act as a solvent to undo the baked on shellac. "

Steve,

Yes, all windows and doors were opened and every fan we could find was pressed into service. The potatoes seemed to retain the greatest amount of flavor, a recipe that I would not recommend.

Ross,

Well Done . Did you take a cue from Burt Munro and the cork stopper used on his streamliner ?
              William McClean
              AMCA # 60

Comment

William!

I stand corrected that it was your Uncle Bob that I knew, although not well enough.

....Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotten!

We all wish that we had gotten to know Bob better than we did. During his eulogy by his surviving brother and youngest sibling, Uncle Joe correctly observed that none of us really knew his whole story. I do know that I never saw him angry or heard him utter a curse.

I hope that I can be half the gentle man that he was.
                  Last edited by William McClean; 08-30-2010, 10:01 PM.
                  William McClean
                  AMCA # 60

Comment

Sorry about not chirping in on my thread but Mr Valentine just helped me get back on the forum after weeks of technical difficulties. The rye jigger is back in the bottle and I've drilled an air hole in the gas cap with the lathe. Now I need to throw away the timeless carb as it is too rich and fouls the plug out after a mile of riding. Anyone got a real nice schebler that won't break the bank. Again thanks to Cory for posting pictures.
                    Ross

Comment

Working...
                    X