Tires for Double Clincher Rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires for Double Clincher Rims

I have been seeking new tires for a 1908 Indian with "double clincher" rims to no avail. I discussed the issue with one of the Coker Tire Company representatives at the Wauseon AMCA meet a few weeks ago. He said that he had been informed that there was not enough demand for "double clincher" tires to warrant making and or stocking them. However, on a positive note he suggested that I call Matthew Huggins at the Coker Tire Company and file an "UPI" for tires to fit double clincher rims that are used on early motorcycles. A "UPI" is a formal record of in inquiry for a tire that they do not have in inventory. Mr. Huggins can be reached at 1-800-251-6336, ext. 235.

If Coker receives enough "UPI's" for the tires, they may consider having them made.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Talbot-2 .....Please explain the difference between "double clincher" and regular "clincher" rims. I have heard the term before but don't know the difference. Also what years were the double clinchers used......Thanks Rod

Comment

Here is a 2008 discussion of the double-clincher rims. ...bill
      http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...p?t-13465.html
      Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

Thanks Bill......Rod

Comment

Thanks Bill,

The archive information is a pretty informative discussion concerning the history of the "double clincher" rims/tires and the "clincher" rims/tires.

I have a copy of a "G & J Tire Company of Indianapolis" ad from one of the Google Books digitized copies of Motorcycle Illustrated. It shows a very good cross section photo of the "double clincher" rims and tires. The ad was for their "double clincher" tires. I don't recall which year the ad was in. It is either 1908, 1909, or 1910. If I find it, I'll post it.

I found it. It's a two (2) page ad on pages 24 & 25 of the January 1, 1909, issue of Motorcycle Illustrated.

talbot-2
          Last edited by talbot-2; 07-30-2010, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I would be curious to know when double clinchers were replaced by the common clincher, and which manufacturers used them ? I only know that Curtiss did but I've always wondered who else.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

On page 24 of the 1908 Indian sales brochure under the heading "Equipment" it notes that the "....Indian includes G & J detachable 2 1/4-inch, corrugated tires, of the new double clincher type, fitted to hollow steel rims".....

talbot-2

Comment

Originally posted by talbot-2 View Post
                Thanks Bill,

The archive information is a pretty informative discussion concerning the history of the "double clincher" rims/tires and the "clincher" rims/tires.

. . .
                I found it. It's a two (2) page ad on pages 24 & 25 of the January 1, 1909, issue of Motorcycle Illustrated.

talbot-2
                I could not get Jan. 1, 1909 to come up in Google Books, but I found this in Jan. 1, 2010.
                http://books.google.com/books?id=vqw...page&q&f=false
                Page 29 appears to show their double clincher rims and some tires. ...bill
                Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

I couldn't find the Google Books link either. I found them by accident last year and really don't remember how I found them. They are in PDF format and I downloaded all of them to my computer. I found this link today....to the San Francisco Motorcycle Club archives. Then click on the one you want and when you get to Google Books, then click on PDF at the upper right to download to your computer. Or just read them without downloading.

http://sites.google.com/site/sfmclibrary/the-bookshelf

Okay?

Comment

Working...
                  X