Wauseon Indian Fire!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wauseon Indian Fire!!

Carl (Big Jesus) clued me into this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUKK_O5Jtf8 it's a sinkin' feelin' watching an antique sickle toasting!!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

That was tragic to watch. It only took seconds to find the right extinguisher but it felt like hours. And boy did that announcer put his foot in his mouth.
    ------------
    Steve
    AMCA #7300

Comment

It was tragic and indeed the announcer put the foot in deep. My take on his attitude was sell, sell, sell. No matter what the loss....sell....justify possible future racing ticket price hikes. Isn't watching a persons finances and vintage bike burn worth coming to the races ?? That is what I got from that announcer !

Comment

Hard to believe that the track and promoter were so ill prepared as to not have the correct type of fire extinguishers right there - right now. As for the PA announcer - a very poor choice of words! If he's that stupid and insensitive they need to find another announcer.
        AMCA 15783

Comment

I didn't recognize the two guys who kept pulling it away from the puddle, but who ever they where, I think they made a big difference in the final result. Thanks to you both of you for going the extra mile.
          ------------
          Steve
          AMCA #7300

Comment

If the bike had a leak, it should never have been there in the first place. Looks like careless crap all around.
            Mike

Comment

So were you there Mike? Did you tech that bike? Where do you get off calling it careless if you know nothing about it? Have you ever built or raced a vintage bike? because if not you don't have a clue. A backfire through the carb could blow the whole thing off if rubber mounted! So could several other scenarios. Hope you never have a problem and need help!
              Robbie
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

We know the dangers and it can happen.

It sounded like the crowd made the announcer eat his words well. The idea that a proper ABC extingusher wasn't on hand quickly at the Track and a pressurized water was used only made things worse with a fuel fire. Luckly the gas didn't get on anyone near the Motorcycle as well. Stop drop and roll till out is the deal. Merlin in Pa.

Comment

Originally posted by portagepan View Post
                  If the bike had a leak, it should never have been there in the first place. Looks like careless crap all around.
                  Mike

The solder joint at on the gas line let lose is what the racer told me. It happens and there is no warning that it is about to happen. On a good not they cleaned up the bike the next day and got it running with only a few repairs.
                  20scout

Comment

Originally posted by 20scout View Post
                    On a good not they cleaned up the bike the next day and got it running with only a few repairs.
                    Now that's what I like to hear!!
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Order of the Singed Feather

Why Indian used solder on its tanks instead of welds, I don't know. Even though a split seam was not what caused this problem, it has caused far too many Indians to be engulfed in flames. My '48 Chief burnt under me in 1970 because a petcock turned due to vibration.

I was in such a hurry to put the bike together and ride it that I did not hook up both tanks. Also, I left the exhaust pipe/muffler off. When I backed off the throttle, 6+ inches of flame shot from the header pipe. The unconnected petcock was on the right (exhaust) side of the bike. When the petcock opened, raw gasoline spilled down onto the exhaust and met 6 inches of flame. Fortunately, I stepped off the bike near a fast food shop whose manager was better prepared than the racetrack folks in the video. It took me years to get the bike back on the road -- primarily because it was not easy to scrape up cash to buy the parts needed.

A few years ago, a tank seam split when I was on a 2 day trip on the Chief. The bike got wet from the fuel, but it did not burn. The seam failed whilst on the road; so, no amount of pre-trip inspection would have detected the problem. The problem was that I had let someone else mount the tanks. With delicate items like soldered tanks, you cannot just slap them on. You have to make sure they are not stressed by poor clearances.

BTW, the 1970 firestorm was far from the stupidest think I have ever done on a bike!
                      George Tinkham
                      Springfield, IL
                      www.virmc.com
                      AMCA # 1494
                      1941 Indian 841
                      1948 Indian Chief
                      1956 H-D KHK
                      1960 CH
                      1964 BMW R69S
                      1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
                      1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Working...
                      X